Why upgrade to 12? What am I missing?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
SauceMerchant

27 Dec 2021

I have Reason 11 Suite which has Scenic Hybrid, Umpf club and Retro, Reason Drum Kits, Electric Bass, Reason Drum kits, Processed Pianos, Radical Keys, Layers x 2, Complex modular synth ........ > while Reason 12 has none of these!

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -included-

I am either going blind and can't see the forest for the trees, or we have a Reason Studio marketing dept that has gone off the rails (to be polite)!

Since when do you upgrade and get things taken away?

The sheer thought of going to Rent a DAW is miserable - I will never do that, even if they start giving it away. I don't want to wake up one morning to a situation where I am tied into enldess hostage payments on my credit card with a years worth of tunes that won't work on my old purchased software if I want to ditch Reason+. (correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand you cannot play Reason+ tunes on older paid versions like Reason 11 Suite!)?

Someone please clear this up for me ... have they lost their marbles or do they now view their market as auto debit-credit-card suckers being born every minute? Move over adobe software, Reason Studios is coming! woof woof

joeyluck

27 Dec 2021

You don't lose those REs. Those REs were bundled as a part of Suite 11. They are not built-in and they are tied to your account. If you upgrade to Reason 12, you will still be able to use Complex-1, etc.

EnochLight

28 Dec 2021

SauceMerchant wrote:
27 Dec 2021
I am either going blind and can't see the forest for the trees
Yep. That's pretty much it. :clap: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2021

RS are not taking anything back. While I am not a fan of the subversion model, it is not related directly to the straight purchase option - even if Reason DAW is common to both.

Suite was abandoned as a product option (as it probably makes less sense with R+) but you own what you purchased forever - such is law.

You can update to R12 or R+ and all you have right now goes with you, adding whatever is in the version you choose for as long as you stay attached to the drip if choosing the + path or forever if choosing R12.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

EnochLight

28 Dec 2021

Benedict wrote:
28 Dec 2021
While I am not a fan of the subversion model
Pls explain.. . :o :?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2021

On the assumption that Software Subscription Services is a tool of Illuminati/Satanist-Scientologists/people who drive electric cars (who we are never judgy about)... Just a light joke on paranoia is all.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

EnochLight

28 Dec 2021

SauceMerchant

28 Dec 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Dec 2021
You don't lose those REs. Those REs were bundled as a part of Suite 11. They are not built-in and they are tied to your account. If you upgrade to Reason 12, you will still be able to use Complex-1, etc.
Thanksfor clarifying .... I must have missed the class that said the RE's in Reason 11 Suite, are separate entities and not built in.

Sooooo, is it fair to assume that the link above showing no similar RE's in Reason 12, means someone buying Reason 12 fresh does not get the RE's found in Reason 11 Suite? If correct, does that seem appropriate for Reason 12 noobs to be buying a lesser product in some ways than Reason 11 Suite? Yes I know about the GUI and Browser update and new sampler etc in ver 12.

Billy+

28 Dec 2021

SauceMerchant wrote:
28 Dec 2021
joeyluck wrote:
27 Dec 2021
Thanksfor clarifying .... I must have missed the class that said the RE's in Reason 11 Suite, are separate entities and not built in.

Sooooo, is it fair to assume that the link above showing no similar RE's in Reason 12, means someone buying Reason 12 fresh does not get the RE's found in Reason 11 Suite? If correct, does that seem appropriate for Reason 12 noobs to be buying a lesser product in some ways than Reason 11 Suite? Yes I know about the GUI and Browser update and new sampler etc in ver 12.
Rack extensions are separate from the daw and can be installed and used in all versions of the daw and RRP moving forward.

If you're a new user looking for a suite version of Reason it's plus €$£20 a month gets you everything released by Reason Studios, you can also use any rack extensions you own or buy from 3rd party developers.

If you own nothing and buy R12 perpetual license then you will have only what is listed and would have to pay for the extra devices.

joeyluck

28 Dec 2021

SauceMerchant wrote:
28 Dec 2021
joeyluck wrote:
27 Dec 2021

There was a Reason 11 Standard too. You are talking about Reason 11 Suite and it had a higher cost than Standard.

The options today are to buy Reason 12 or subscribe to Reason+ if you want more than what is built-in (which gives you more than Reason 11 Suite). Or buy Reason 12 and buy separately only the REs you want.

The Rewards shop has also been revamped, so users should take a look at that. If someone prefers perpetual licenses over Reason+, they could get some of the Reason Studios REs that way.

ShelLuser

29 Dec 2021

In addition to the above... while I am also very much opposed to "SaaS" ("Software As A Service"; aka renting stuff) I do think that Reason Studios applies a rather fair business model.

Because their Rack Extensions aren't tied into specific Reason versions, which I consider a huge pro. In other words.. the latest player ("bassline generator") was released to be used on Reason 12, but can just as easily be used on 11 (and probably 10 as well, though I am not sure about that one). Same applied to the previous versions... Scenic was released for Reason 11 but I used that on 10 for quite a while without any issues.

Yah, they're not taking things away (as explained above) nor are they trying to force an upgrade out of you either (at least not through their rack extensions).
--- :reason:

SauceMerchant

29 Dec 2021

OK, ya thanks I get it ... knowing now that RE's are a separate entity and carry forward, upgrading to Reason Suite 11 near its final days seems was the sweet spot ;-)

It is pretty obvious that Reason Studios is pushing hard on Rent-A-Daw due to no R12 discounts over Xmas.

Truly unless your DAW is a business write off and you need to be fed the latest sounds others make, Rent-a-DAW just feels like something I can't invest time and effort in .... creepy ! lol

• Information