Need a little help gettting my Novation controller keyboard to work (SL Mk3)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Klark Trent

25 Jan 2022

Hi,

Tring to set up a Novation SL mk3. I know this should be straight forward. I have already

1 - DL'd the driver from Novation for Reason
2 - Let Reason auto instal the Novation.
3 - And yes of course I have attached with a USB cable (Both ends ha)

So, When I press InControl on the Novation I can turn knobs and this translates onto the highlighted synth on Reason and I can see the fader moving. However the keyboard wont do anything. IE the keys. Nor the pads.

Can any fellow SL 3 owner shed a little light.

I am cringing here as I feel certain there will be some simple explanation I should allready know.....but this has had me stumpt for hours now.

deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2022

If I recall from previous Novation w/Auto Map software (not sure if thats still a thing),

There are three 'controllers' that you need to engage with Reason;
Automap Mixer
Automap Keyboard
Automap Control

Maybe it's similar thing with the MkIII?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Italophile

25 Jan 2022

Klark Trent

25 Jan 2022

@ Deeplink. Thanks ill look into that. I downloaded the driver from Novation so it autodetected. Was hoping that would be an end. I even tried to manually add it again but the next button was grey'd out so no go

@ Italophile Yeah seen that exact page mate. Downloaded the drive and everything. It just seems odd how the sliders work but not the keyboard?? Think maybe it has something with what Deeplink was saying as his method involves three separate sections. Its as if only one of the sections is working on mine for whatever reason.

deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2022

Klark Trent wrote:
25 Jan 2022
@ Deeplink. Thanks ill look into that. I downloaded the driver from Novation so it autodetected. Was hoping that would be an end. I even tried to manually add it again but the next button was grey'd out so no go

@ Italophile Yeah seen that exact page mate. Downloaded the drive and everything. It just seems odd how the sliders work but not the keyboard?? Think maybe it has something with what Deeplink was saying as his method involves three separate sections. Its as if only one of the sections is working on mine for whatever reason.
If no you get no luck, last resort is perhaps message Selig on this forum - I think he has an SLmkIII
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Klark Trent

25 Jan 2022

Thanks mate, Ill do that.

Had to go out and do stuff so ill try and bit more later on then give him a PM.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2022

Hey, I use it that way all the time. Make sure one of the eight ‘instruments’ is assigned to USB out, and make sure to select that one when using it witwh Reason. SL mkIII will default to instrument #1 on startup, which for me is Novation Peak. So I assigned instrument #8 to USB for controlling Reason, and need to select this BEFORE switching to InControl. make sense?
Selig Audio, LLC

Klark Trent

25 Jan 2022

Hey, I use it that way all the time. Make sure one of the eight ‘instruments’ is assigned to USB out, and make sure to select that one when using it witwh Reason. SL mkIII will default to instrument #1 on startup, which for me is Novation Peak. So I assigned instrument #8 to USB for controlling Reason, and need to select this BEFORE switching to InControl. make sense?
Hi mate. Ern no. Any chance you could break it down for an idiot like me ha. Eight instruments? Not getting much of what you said. A video would be great if you could.

Thanks for the reply :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2022

Klark Trent wrote:
25 Jan 2022
Hi mate. Ern no. Any chance you could break it down for an idiot like me ha. Eight instruments? Not getting much of what you said. A video would be great if you could.

Thanks for the reply :thumbs_up:
Turns out I misspoke - they are called TEMPLATES, not Instruments (sorry about that). That way you can independently control up to eight different instruments, each with their own sequencer tracks and arpeggiators. When working with hardware instrument boxes like Eurorack, Peak, and MiniBrute 2s (which is what I have), you can switch between each instrument from the keyboard.
It's been so long since I set mine up I can't remember what the default settings are, but just to be sure try the following.
If all you use the SL mkIII for is as a Reason controller, you only need to setup the first Template, as described below.

1) Hit Shift and Sessions (Template is written above the button) to enter Template edit mode.
2 The top row of knobs makes selections for where to send the MIDI from this Template, use the third knob to activate the USB output for MIDI notes/controls etc. (the bottom row selects Template (instrument) 1-8, but stick with #1 because it's the default template when first starting up.
That's it - you can also send the same MIDI data to either physical MIDI output on the back of the SL mkIII (Knob 4 labeled DIN), or even to the Eurorack jacks for controlling up to two separate Eurorack voices (knob 5 labeled CV/Gate).
Selig Audio, LLC

Klark Trent

27 Jan 2022

Hi mate,

Thats the strangest thing!! I replied here and came back to se if there was any updates,. My reply hasent even made it. Vanished. pffft

Yes I am quite familiar with the SL mk3,. I know about templates and sessions and such but all those things go out the window when you hit the InSession button. IE it puts the SL into a totally different integrated mode supposedly with Reason or Ableton or whatever.

I have never ever in my life came across a keyboard only half being recognises. So to have only the knobs and sliders work and noth the keys is baffling to me.

Im thankful for everyone's help but still not further. As a stop gap I think ill try and not use incontrol even thought Reason has auto detected my exact keyboard model. I will try and just add it like you say manually but that is missing out on the beauty of incontrol.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2022

I’m not suggesting to add anything manually, sorry for any confusion. If you can play Reason in normal mode, you should hear exactly the same thing when you enter InControl mode. It works very reliably on my end, so I’m guessing there is something being overlooked here maybe?
Selig Audio, LLC

Klark Trent

02 Feb 2022

Hi mate, it seems to be you still need to set up a profile like you originally stated. Even if incontrol you need to set each channel to be outputting USB MIDI in my case.

A simple fix like you say. It was on the Novation side also so not an Reason thing just to set the record straight.

Thanks for the assist and putting me on the right path :thumbup:

• Information