Best Live Workflow For Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nos402

27 Jan 2022

Hey all! I mostly use Reason in my studio but I have a gig where I will be using it live coming up and am just wondering about tips for the best workflow.

Currently, I have a separate track in Reason for each sound/song so that all sounds are already loaded and ready to go. I have assigned the top 2 keys to go next/previous track for ease of switching.

I'm just wondering if there's a better way to do it. This seems to be working so far, but I'm wondering if it might become unfeasible if I had a LOT of sounds/songs I needed for a gig. Like would loading too many at once cause memory/stability issues? For this gig I won't need but probably 10 tracks so it shouldn't be an issue.

I figured I could also save each song as it's own file but then each one would have to load between songs (not that it takes that long) and I also want to keep interacting with my laptop to a minimum by being able to use my midi controller to switch sounds/songs.

Just wondering if there is an "optimal" or "intended" workflow or if it's all kind 6 of 1 and half dozen of another. Thanks!

Nos402

27 Jan 2022

All I really need are the sounds so luckily my needs are few!
Eddi-16 wrote:
27 Jan 2022
Reason is not good for live performance, no seperate loopers, no clip launcher, no sequencer mute/solo remote stuff....nothing....

All this is highly requested for many years now ...but still nothing.

Very sad.

moofi

27 Jan 2022

Peff´s Directre could come in handy here: https://reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-ext ... io-router/

zoidkirb

27 Jan 2022

I'm currently contemplating similar questions.
One thing I've thought of to save CPU is using less FX, and more relying on different tracks sharing the same Send effects.

crimsonwarlock

27 Jan 2022

Eddi-16 wrote:
27 Jan 2022
Reason is not good for live performance, no seperate loopers, no clip launcher, no sequencer mute/solo remote stuff....nothing....
There are actually several rack extensions aimed at live performance. Just a few:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... at-looper/

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... 20Software
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

QVprod

27 Jan 2022

Since all you need are sounds. This is a perfect example where the plug-in is more useful. Most DAWs are not designed for live performance. You can use Mainstage (mac) or Gig Performer https://gigperformer.com/ or anything similar. You’ll have more flexibility that way.

Those programs are designed for live performance.

devil71

27 Jan 2022

I've been using Reason with live bands for about 10 years now.

Currently using Nektar Panorama P6 and Alesis Vortex Wireless 2 for controllers.

Each song in my set list is a separate Reason file.

I assign (for example)
Piano patch to MIDI channel 1
Organ patch to ch 2
Strings to ch 3 etc.
The PB Assign buttons on the P6 are used to change channels.

Also:
Combinators are ideal for keyboard splits. When playing the Vortex I use the Octave Up / Down buttons to switch between patches.

I don't use the sequencer / loops etc.
Everything is played live.

demt

27 Jan 2022

devil71 wrote:
27 Jan 2022

Currently using Nektar Panorama P6 and Alesis Vortex Wireless 2 for controllers.

I assign (for example)
Organ patch to ch 2
Strings to ch 3 etc.

Also:
Combinators are ideal for keyboard splits. When playing the Vortex I use the Octave Up / Down buttons to switch between patches.

Got a vid?
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Nos402

27 Jan 2022

Nice! With each song being it's own file you don't ever find loading time to be a problem between songs or anything?
devil71 wrote:
27 Jan 2022

I assign (for example)
Organ patch to ch 2
Strings to ch 3 etc.

Also:

devil71

27 Jan 2022

No vids available sorry.
Maybe I should make one !

I can usually load up the first 4 or 5 song files in advance of the show before the laptop complains :)

After that the band knows to give me just a little extra time between songs just in case...

The biggest problem is if I'm out in the crowd with the keytar, I have to run back to my rig to load up the next song !

thefixr

27 Jan 2022

I've used Reason in a live setting for a number of years doing realtime finger drumming. I load sets into Combinator templates that are usually either outfitted with NN-XT + FX or Kongs + FX. I like to setup sets that last from 10 to 30 mins and I play through them contiguously. Here's me doing a 4 song set that is around 12 mins.

Personally I think Reason is great for live sets since it is so much more stable than anything else I have come across.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

Nos402

28 Jan 2022

Thanks for telling me about Gig Performer! I had never heard of it and I tried it out tonight and ended up buying it! Very cool
QVprod wrote:
27 Jan 2022
Since all you need are sounds. This is a perfect example where the plug-in is more useful. Most DAWs are not designed for live performance. You can use Mainstage (mac) or Gig Performer https://gigperformer.com/ or anything similar. You’ll have more flexibility that way.

QVprod

28 Jan 2022

Nos402 wrote:
28 Jan 2022
Thanks for telling me about Gig Performer! I had never heard of it and I tried it out tonight and ended up buying it! Very cool
QVprod wrote:
27 Jan 2022

You’re welcome. Glad that worked out for you

• Information