Beat Detection now built in... ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EndOfGreatness

22 Mar 2022

After this last patch, I have noticed something quite perplexing. Everyday, I am drag and dropping WAV files onto the sequencer for various projects, and it always behaves the same way: Fixes the sample to the current BPM, and will pitch-stretch it if the BPM is changed. Today, I dragged a short beat@100bpm onto the sequencer and by default it is being automatically pitch-stretched to match the default 120 BPM. I have to Disable Stretch in order to get the original timing.

I CANNOT figure out how/why it is doing this. Even stranger, it is only happening with this one file, and I know WAV files do not carry metadata like that. I could not find any setting or patch notes to explain how it is accurately detecting the BPM of the incoming sample and pitch-stretching to match. Has anyone else encountered this before? My apologies if this has already been answered, but I could not find any examples of this on the forums.
Sound Designer for 1336 Studios - Reasoning since 2001

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Mar 2022

EndOfGreatness wrote:
22 Mar 2022
...and I know WAV files do not carry metadata like that.
They do. Reason writes BPM (even if variable) in WAV files, in a unique way that only Reason can read. I heard of other programs doing that, again, in an incompatible way.

EndOfGreatness

22 Mar 2022

orthodox wrote:
22 Mar 2022
EndOfGreatness wrote:
22 Mar 2022
They do. Reason writes BPM (even if variable) in WAV files, in a unique way that only Reason can read. I heard of other programs doing that, again, in an incompatible way.
That would definitely explain it, then. The file in question was something I generated earlier in Reason and was being used for composition. Thank you for answering this! TIL.
Sound Designer for 1336 Studios - Reasoning since 2001

thefixr

22 Mar 2022

orthodox wrote:
22 Mar 2022
EndOfGreatness wrote:
22 Mar 2022
I’ve experienced beats exported from FL Studio stretching to the best in Reason in the past.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

• Information