Sessions!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
crimsonwarlock

08 Apr 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
06 Apr 2022
He probably haves just about every DAW out there installed.
He is a total gear head. I saw a livestream where he tried out VCV-rack and instantly got his credit card out and bought EVERY AVAILABLE module for it. That, while having a huge amount of modular hardware in his studio.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Billy+

08 Apr 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Apr 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
06 Apr 2022
He is a total gear head. I saw a livestream where he tried out VCV-rack and instantly got his credit card out and bought EVERY AVAILABLE module for it. That, while having a huge amount of modular hardware in his studio.
Yeah I saw that one to and still can't believe it :lol:

Creativemind

08 Apr 2022

scotward57 wrote:
05 Apr 2022
Because after all, what better way is there to deal with the 'Reason is broken fix it goddamnit!!' Mob than to march a few of them over to their Swedish HQ and put them on a stage. Make them tap dance and let them have it!!

YOU SEE!! It is not Reason who is broken...it is YOU!! You are the one who is broken!!

:clap:
No-one said it was broken, just a pain in the backside to use sometimes due to missing feature's that have no reason (excuse the pun) not to be there apart from pure and utter stubbornness to evolve.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

orthodox
RE Developer

08 Apr 2022

Creativemind wrote:
08 Apr 2022
missing feature's that have no reason (excuse the pun) not to be there apart from pure and utter stubbornness to evolve
A wild conjecture :puf_smile:

kitekrazy

08 Apr 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Apr 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
06 Apr 2022

He is a total gear head.
I saw a livestream where he tried out VCV-rack and instantly got his credit card out and bought EVERY AVAILABLE module for it. That, while having a huge amount of modular hardware in his studio.
They all are in an attempt to get a unique sound. They only thing I have n common with the big boys is I acquire lots of software too.

crimsonwarlock

09 Apr 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
08 Apr 2022
They all are in an attempt to get a unique sound. They only thing I have n common with the big boys is I acquire lots of software too.
I have a lot of software too. However, I tend to only buy stuff that actually adds something to my setup. Lately, I don't see any new released instruments adding anything new to the sound spectrum I already have available to me. Instead, it has become a bit of fun for me to find the sound of a new release in the stuff I already have. It also makes me appreciate the stuff I already have even more.

In the hunt for the next new thing, we often tend to forget the vast sonic territory there is to explore, even with just a few synthesizers and FX. I'm currently deep-diving into PolySix, which is admittedly a somewhat limited synth. I even grew up on these kinds of instruments, so I should know it inside-out. Yet, I still come across sounds I wouldn't think possible before with this kind of synth. Add something like Synchronous and you basically have a complete new instrument.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

kitekrazy

09 Apr 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Apr 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
08 Apr 2022
I have a lot of software too. However, I tend to only buy stuff that actually adds something to my setup. Lately, I don't see any new released instruments adding anything new to the sound spectrum I already have available to me. Instead, it has become a bit of fun for me to find the sound of a new release in the stuff I already have. It also makes me appreciate the stuff I already have even more.

In the hunt for the next new thing, we often tend to forget the vast sonic territory there is to explore, even with just a few synthesizers and FX. I'm currently deep-diving into PolySix, which is admittedly a somewhat limited synth. I even grew up on these kinds of instruments, so I should know it inside-out. Yet, I still come across sounds I wouldn't think possible before with this kind of synth. Add something like Synchronous and you basically have a complete new instrument.
When Reason added VST support the choices are overwhelming when you invested in REs as well. Ive heard some great music when people only used Reason 4 or FL Studio using their 3xOsc.
We like shiny new stuff. Every new synth is always the latest and greatest. I'm tempted to make something using what was available in Reason 4. Redrum is probably my favorite since ti was the easiest to use without any DAW experience.
If Reason stopped being a DAW and they entered the VST market I have no doubt they would have no trouble surviving.

Billy+

10 Apr 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
09 Apr 2022
If Reason stopped being a DAW and they entered the VST market I have no doubt they would have no trouble surviving.
Umm isn't that exactly what RRP is?

Not only have they entered the market but they have taken the whole shop with them......

Definitely a cool move and I would suggest a big gamble especially given the disappointment of long term users who really wanted to see daw improvements/features that have now had to accept we probably won't see anything in R12.

challism

10 Apr 2022

Billy+ wrote:
10 Apr 2022
kitekrazy wrote:
09 Apr 2022
Umm isn't that exactly what RRP is?

Not only have they entered the market but they have taken the whole shop with them......

Definitely a cool move and I would suggest a big gamble especially given the disappointment of long term users who really wanted to see daw improvements/features that have now had to accept we probably won't see anything in R12.
Yeah, that's exactly what RRP is. ha ha
Hopefully they have heard and understand our concerns about DAW improvements and we will see more focus on those features in R13. I agree that it is pretty doubtful they will be rolling out any additional/unannounced DAW upgrades in R12 (other than M1 and VST3).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

supersmarter

11 Apr 2022

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. You won't change it and I am not trying to make a stir. Opinion is based 100% on company (Reasonstudios) steering - thus it is what it is.
To my "experience" much of the hate and rejection which I am not making up is exactly because of the company's current path and roadmap so to speak.

You see whenever and literally wherever I mention Reason it's just that out of all DAWs out there Reason is least accepted in the studios. Ranging from hobbyist, amateur or professional studios you won't see Reason in the same spot as say Ableton or Cubase (or Logic or Studio One - whatever).
Sure mostly it's installed but not to do work on it but to retain that niche customer base.

This is not about can Reason do or is Reason capable doing it - it surely is. The point is: "how".

Somehow whatever company is doing it always falls down to the bedroom amateur kids way of doing it.

And the whole "character" is so childish and not made up for professional use. Starting from their videos which are over the top all the way down to releasing sounds on a weekly basis.

It's all quantity over quality.

Example: Instead of focusing and making Reason (for example) being more tightly integrated with the hardware FX or HW racks, or Synths - something which was done by other DAWs decade ago - because hey it's well...music gear - they left demanding studio use to the outdated Hardware routing interface inside of Reason.

With every other DAW I have a plugin which acts as Hardware insert for FX or for Synths. When loaded it occupies sound card IO slots and it's perfectly tight and compensated.  With Reason I need to solve complex routing and timing. I need to calculate timing and shift tracks by hand (TS-1 TimeSlider comes handy). Add to that BUS paradigm and UAD or other plugins which introduce latency in signal path. Which is compensated as long as you are in the box completely. But when yo udecide to use outboard gear - screw you.

Because using outboard involves latency. Not Reason fault but other DAWs solved this decade ago by sending ping to outboard gear and then calculating delay, or calculating delay based on buffer sizes.

Please don't tell me I am doing it wrong - I don't. Their support confirmed everything for me. Everything is perfectly clear.

Which professional, amateur or hobbyist studio user would take them seriously when it's clear they are focusing only on 15 year people with one midi keyboard and youtube?

How can you rely on integrating your expensive gear when a company is focusing on making completely unknown people dance on a small stage. And then they make a fuss about it.

So ok, yes Reason - yes I can do it. It is possible. But it's cumbersome. And judging by the "Sessions" stunt which is yet another "project" that is likely to cease to die in the next year -  there is no solution on the horizon.  Yes, I purchased it for what it is - not what it could be.

But ReasonStudios (or their fan base) should not be surprised when no one is taking them seriously. It's because the CEO is stabbing on perceptual users or they don't know what they should charge, or they are making silly videos (I love Ryan but the whole thing is so childish).

Month ago I purchased Bassline Generator and Pattern mutator only to find it's free now with the purchase of Reason 12. Same Reason 12 which started to act sane and to be stable only last week with the latest update (almost a year since the initial release).

But I purchased it willingly on the release date, knowing that I will have problems - but yes I wanted to have access to it and in the background I wanted to support them.

Now it seems that paying customers get less.

You can't tell me I am over sensitive but with no other DAW company I feel so much on thin ice like with Reason Studios current business decisions and long term focus.

Regards

QVprod

11 Apr 2022

Several developers are increasing their social media content. It’s important and relevant to the times we live in. That’s all this is. Presonus has had River City Sessions which is the same concept. I say good on them for utilizing their channels that’s were mostly dormant for many years. For those who remember music making month way back in the day, seems like we’re getting that on a regular basis now.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2022

QVprod wrote:
11 Apr 2022
Several developers are increasing their social media content. It’s important and relevant to the times we live in. That’s all this is. Presonus has had River City Sessions which is the same concept. I say good on them for utilizing their channels that’s were mostly dormant for many years. For those who remember music making month way back in the day, seems like we’re getting that on a regular basis now.
Exactly this.

Really silly thing to complain about.

It's really just looking for things to complain about at this point.

scotward57

14 Apr 2022

supersmarter wrote:
11 Apr 2022
Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. You won't change it and I am not trying to make a stir. Opinion is based 100% on company (Reasonstudios) steering - thus it is what it is. To my "experience" much of the hate and rejection which I am not making up is exactly because of the company's current path and roadmap so to speak.
Glad to see someone get it. But to be fair, my opinion has somewhat evolved since starting this thread. I watched one of Ryan's streaming videos, the one with Jef Gibbons and they were talking about the so-called absurdities of the DAW wars. It occurred to me that there's no easy way to discern just how much of this "missing feature" stuff is real or imagined.

But clearly, Reason Studios doesn't have the same appeal or magic that it did during the Propellerhead Era. It just doesn't. Other companies have upped their "DAW game" or have offered something that the major DAWs don't have. MPC and Maschine come to mind. They both run standalone and as a plugin within other DAWs, but they offer a tight hardware/software hybrid solution that Reason doesn't have.

It's crazy to me that Reason has this awesome hardware rack paradigm, but no dedicated hardware controller to make the Reason experience even better.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while Reason Studios not being interested in the DAWs arms race is totally understandable, this idea about sound packs and pop culture fluff just isn't going to cut it.

QVprod

14 Apr 2022

scotward57 wrote:
14 Apr 2022
supersmarter wrote:
11 Apr 2022
Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. You won't change it and I am not trying to make a stir. Opinion is based 100% on company (Reasonstudios) steering - thus it is what it is. To my "experience" much of the hate and rejection which I am not making up is exactly because of the company's current path and roadmap so to speak.
Glad to see someone get it. But to be fair, my opinion has somewhat evolved since starting this thread. I watched one of Ryan's streaming videos, the one with Jef Gibbons and they were talking about the so-called absurdities of the DAW wars. It occurred to me that there's no easy way to discern just how much of this "missing feature" stuff is real or imagined.

But clearly, Reason Studios doesn't have the same appeal or magic that it did during the Propellerhead Era. It just doesn't. Other companies have upped their "DAW game" or have offered something that the major DAWs don't have. MPC and Maschine come to mind. They both run standalone and as a plugin within other DAWs, but they offer a tight hardware/software hybrid solution that Reason doesn't have.

It's crazy to me that Reason has this awesome hardware rack paradigm, but no dedicated hardware controller to make the Reason experience even better.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while Reason Studios not being interested in the DAWs arms race is totally understandable, this idea about sound packs and pop culture fluff just isn't going to cut it.
Not to go too far off topic here. But as far as hardware, while it may not be exclusive, there are the Panorama P controllers. It gives a Mashine(ish) experience if you’re into that and at minimum, all the stock stuff (save Mimic ) and quite a few RE are mapped.

I use Machine and tbh the appeal is less about the hardware hybrid so much as it is the workflow of the software. One phrase is 2 bars while the next instrument plays something for 8 bars and it automatically syncs without any copy paste needed. If you could do this in Blocks, you’d literally have the equivalent in Reason.

Otherwise, the hardware is basically just a glorified midi controller and I still use the mouse for quite a bit. Granted, I have the Mikro version, but I think even with the full version I’d still be using the mouse for sake of speed.

Oddly enough, my positive outlook on Reason is because I compare it to Machine rather than other DAWs like the Cubases and Studio Ones. Different animal.

scotward57

14 Apr 2022

QVprod wrote:
14 Apr 2022
scotward57 wrote:
14 Apr 2022

Not to go too far off topic here. But as far as hardware, while it may not be exclusive, there are the Panorama P controllers. It gives a Mashine(ish) experience if you’re into that and at minimum, all the stock stuff (save Mimic ) and quite a few RE are mapped.

I use Machine and tbh the appeal is less about the hardware hybrid so much as it is the workflow of the software. One phrase is 2 bars while the next instrument plays something for 8 bars and it automatically syncs without any copy paste needed. If you could do this in Blocks, you’d literally have the equivalent in Reason.

Otherwise, the hardware is basically just a glorified midi controller and I still use the mouse for quite a bit. Granted, I have the Mikro version, but I think even with the full version I’d still be using the mouse for sake of speed.

Oddly enough, my positive outlook on Reason is because I compare it to Machine rather than other DAWs like the Cubases and Studio Ones. Different animal.
In terms of mouse usage, there is a world of difference between the Mikro and the MK3. The dual screens of the MK3 and 8 knobs makes it far less necessary to use a mouse. Of course it depends on how you are using the Maschine software.

I tried the Panorama T6. The USB port was flimsy and I hated the key action. Everybody said to go for the P6, but also said the key action was actually worse than the T6. Besides that, I didn't see anywhere near the level of integration that you do with Maschine. Not even close.

QVprod

14 Apr 2022

scotward57 wrote:
14 Apr 2022
QVprod wrote:
14 Apr 2022

In terms of mouse usage, there is a world of difference between the Mikro and the MK3. The dual screens of the MK3 and 8 knobs makes it far less necessary to use a mouse. Of course it depends on how you are using the Maschine software.

I tried the Panorama T6. The USB port was flimsy and I hated the key action. Everybody said to go for the P6, but also said the key action was actually worse than the T6. Besides that, I didn't see anywhere near the level of integration that you do with Maschine. Not even close.
The 2 screens is pretty much for menu diving. I personally don’t care for doing that. So I’d use the mouse to get around preset categories. And yeah the T6 has much less functionality than the P6. Less controls. You can control almost everything on the P series. Do a song from start to finish without a mouse if you really want to. But yes the key action isn’t great and you don’t get the motorized fader on the P1. But I’d say the experience is comparable as far as integration in regard to how much you can control from the hardware. Main difference between the two is the workflow, but that’s the software.

adfielding

14 Apr 2022

scotward57 wrote:
05 Apr 2022
YOU SEE!! It is not Reason who is broken...it is YOU!! You are the one who is broken!!

There are plenty of things I'd like to see fixed in Reason, but I fail to see how that relates to shining a light on up and coming talent. I think this is a neat idea and I'd like to see more of it.

scotward57

14 Apr 2022

adfielding wrote:
14 Apr 2022
scotward57 wrote:
05 Apr 2022

There are plenty of things I'd like to see fixed in Reason, but I fail to see how that relates to shining a light on up and coming talent. I think this is a neat idea and I'd like to see more of it.
As I stated later on in this thread, my opinion has evolved somewhat. Nothing wrong with Reason Studios with wanting to showcase talent, in and of itself. But it can't be a substitute for offering a product that competes with other music production solutions out there. And I understand that at the very least - that is a question open for debate.

• Information