What do you suck at in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

01 Mar 2023

RobC wrote:
01 Mar 2023
I suck at trying to easily and quickly adjust timing mistakes on vocals.
All I would need is to click a start and end point, then drag and maybe stretch a bit.
Of course, we can cut a new clip, or maybe do it even in comp mode, and then stretch ~ but a select, drag, stretch, done - would be much faster. Unless I missed something. I have R12.
I find the Slice edit mode (or even pitch edit, which also lets you stretch/shrink time) idea for vocal timing issues.
The key is to learning what works (sounds natural) and how to apply that to the tools at hand.
Works great for matching a harmony part to the lead when it doesn't end at the correct place, as well as the more obvious timing issues at the start of words/phrases.
I also find it handy to first fist the most glaring issues, then wait before going further. Often I find that after fixing the obvious stuff, the rest is just fine. This approach not only saves me production time, but also ensures I don't "over polish" stuff just so it looks nice and tidy on the grid…
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

01 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
01 Mar 2023
RobC wrote:
01 Mar 2023
I suck at trying to easily and quickly adjust timing mistakes on vocals.
All I would need is to click a start and end point, then drag and maybe stretch a bit.
Of course, we can cut a new clip, or maybe do it even in comp mode, and then stretch ~ but a select, drag, stretch, done - would be much faster. Unless I missed something. I have R12.
I find the Slice edit mode (or even pitch edit, which also lets you stretch/shrink time) idea for vocal timing issues.
The key is to learning what works (sounds natural) and how to apply that to the tools at hand.
Works great for matching a harmony part to the lead when it doesn't end at the correct place, as well as the more obvious timing issues at the start of words/phrases.
I also find it handy to first fist the most glaring issues, then wait before going further. Often I find that after fixing the obvious stuff, the rest is just fine. This approach not only saves me production time, but also ensures I don't "over polish" stuff just so it looks nice and tidy on the grid…
I probably need to read more into the manual / practice. Usually, in slice edit mode, my problem was that I couldn't just move things around. Best would be (maybe it's possible?) if I could grab two slice markers, and if I move it around, it would be handled like a new clip, or a comp slice, or similar. Otherwise I often forgot and tried to move the slice marker around, which only did some unwanted shrinking stretching. That said, I didn't do overly much wave editing inside Reason 12, so there might be a few tricks that I missed.

That said, I definitely am the type that prefers to edit as little as possible, and rather do multiple takes.
However, I'm also experimenting with natural speech / spoken word. Things definitely can be off there. (Though I heard an Eminem freestyle rap that he performed in an underground parking area - then later they added the beat to it.)
I think, Ableton has a feature to make the music follow the recording's rhythm/tempo ~ though that probably goes for instrument/drums.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2023

Recently I've found that occasionally trying to mix at the lowest discernible volume has worked wonders for my mixing.

When I play music at "normal" volumes, it's hard to detect just how much louder the loudest sound is. When the volume is lower it's impossible to miss that the snare is a lot louder than everything else where it might have otherwise just sounded a little louder, but not much.

robussc

01 Mar 2023

avasopht wrote:
01 Mar 2023
Recently I've found that occasionally trying to mix at the lowest discernible volume has worked wonders for my mixing.

When I play music at "normal" volumes, it's hard to detect just how much louder the loudest sound is. When the volume is lower it's impossible to miss that the snare is a lot louder than everything else where it might have otherwise just sounded a little louder, but not much.
Yeah, absolutely. That and eqing in mono have been a big help.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Voyager

01 Mar 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
01 May 2022
What do you suck at in Reason?
I think i'm going to be limited by the maximum characters per post :lol:

BRIGGS

01 Mar 2023

I suck at keeping my template up to date. Small tedious things, can suck the life out of a song.
r11s

Aosta

02 Mar 2023

Naming channels, organising stuff, my files are like a teenager's bedroom..oh and cables, I suck at cable things.
Tend the flame

Voyager

02 Mar 2023

Aosta wrote:
02 Mar 2023
oh and cables, I suck at cable things.
Funny because this may be why most users have picked Reason over any other daw.

Last Alternative

02 Mar 2023

Oops I messed up this post. See my next post:
Last edited by Last Alternative on 02 Mar 2023, edited 2 times in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Last Alternative

02 Mar 2023

For me it’s EQ, compression, and getting the stereo field right. These days I’m convinced to strip everything to mono, pan, and then add stereo fx or double-tracking where needed because I feel like leaving bass, synth, etc as stereo the way the preset is just muddies up everything like a blurry wash of sound. Using reference tracks and mixing at low volume in mono is key! But then it might sound thin in stereo so you really gotta find the balance. Producing is no joke!
And my biggest problem of all is feeling like I’m not good enough and losing motivation too long.. #1 dream killer is self-doubt
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Lov2sing

02 Mar 2023

Automation is my biggest concern. Compression is a close second. Other than that all my other concerns are about my wish list.
We make music for a reason

gritz

02 Mar 2023

I’m so busy writing parts then adding bass melody strings that all the clever stuff like eq fx etc which I read about or see you tube videos about I just get bored . I know these days we have to be writer lyricist arranger producer drummer and all round engineer but I just fade out when people talk about compression or eq or the latest tech - but that’s me

gritz

02 Mar 2023

Gimme the days when you go to a studio get notes from the engineer or producer and you just write and play

• Information