Ability to turn off snap only whilst key is held down

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tobypearce

12 Jun 2022

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this.

Using better touch tool on Mac (probably there are Windows equivalents), you can trigger a shortcut when you press a button down, but also trigger a shortcut when the key goes up again.

This allows you to turn snap off whilst you press and hold a key, and have it come on again while you release the key. This way, snap stays on all the time except for those occasions when you want a little more control. Super useful, and I use it all the time.

I do the same with:
Switching to razor key - press and hold whilst cutting, then release to go back to normal arrow.
Zoom to selection, press and hold, select area to zoom in, then release.

I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else finds it useful.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

rootwheel

12 Jun 2022

tobypearce wrote:
12 Jun 2022
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this.

Using better touch tool on Mac (probably there are Windows equivalents), you can trigger a shortcut when you press a button down, but also trigger a shortcut when the key goes up again.

This allows you to turn snap off whilst you press and hold a key, and have it come on again while you release the key. This way, snap stays on all the time except for those occasions when you want a little more control. Super useful, and I use it all the time.

I do the same with:
Switching to razor key - press and hold whilst cutting, then release to go back to normal arrow.
Zoom to selection, press and hold, select area to zoom in, then release.

I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else finds it useful.
Very useful. I set up a couple of shortcuts in ControlllerMate (similar package to Better Touch Tool) so I have keyboard shortcuts which open either Slice Edit mode or Pitch Editor mode on an audio track. The shortcuts in question trigger a macro which clicks the buttons for either option within the interface. This is useful as neither of these has bindable keyboard shortcuts within the interface (as far as I could tell) and often I want to move the timing of a vocal track and prefer the slice mode - but a double click always only opens the pitch editor mode.

Ottostrom

15 Jun 2022

Thank you for mentioning this! Will have to find a windows equivalent because changing between snap on/off is one of the most infuriating things (feels like it's always in the wrong mode). This sound like a great solution once I get used to it :)

• Information