Reason 12.2.9 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

14 Oct 2022

JiggeryPokery wrote:
14 Oct 2022
Apart from the bit on the right that has has no scaling applied as I pointed out elsewhere a couple of days ago. Although to be fair, you do say the SSL specifically and pretend the entirely badly upscaled navigator (including show/hide buttons) doesn't exist. In which case, you probably should have cropped that bit ;)

If the SSL section itself looks fine, what's your verdict on the SSL redrawing ? It's utterly pants here. If you've not tried it, just add a load of SubTs or whatever to a new document, more than will fill the mixer, and try to scroll. It's really laggy here :( I'm not aware of any scrolling redraw lag with the Rack, fwiw.
No "pretending" at all, Matt. :? :lol: On my system, it looks fine. And no lag on my system (and it's a freak'n decade old - not sure what's going on with yours). I'll give you a point for some areas still missing high-res assets - absolutely, but it's hardly a deal-breaker for me.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
14 Oct 2022
And no lag on my system (and it's a freak'n decade old - not sure what's going on with yours). I'll give you a point for some areas still missing high-res assets - absolutely, but t's hardly a deal-breaker for me.
It's odd for sure - I can't say for sure it's only only the latest build but I've never noticed it previously. This is on my 3800X/GTX1070 system, so it's modern enough. The GPU doesn't really seem to be doing anything. Does Reason actually use the GPU for drawing now, or is it still software rendered via the CPU, and the GPU is only called on when applying rescales?

And sure, the scaling is not a deal-breaker. It just probably highlights that literally no-one has used those buttons in years, hence no-one noticed it before :lol:

mind2069

14 Oct 2022

JiggeryPokery wrote:
14 Oct 2022

And sure, the scaling is not a deal-breaker. It just probably highlights that literally no-one has used those buttons in years, hence no-one noticed it before :lol:
I noticed immediately on the bottom right of the SSL the little buttons close/open section do not scale, not a deal breaker but not professional, it's been a while since 12 been out.

But I understand what probably happen, it was such an immense undertaking (code rewrite) that they decided to release and let all user beta test, there was probably not enough beta testers/time (all different systems, configurations, graphics cards) to test for all situations.

EnochLight

14 Oct 2022

JiggeryPokery wrote:
14 Oct 2022
It's odd for sure - I can't say for sure it's only only the latest build but I've never noticed it previously. This is on my 3800X/GTX1070 system, so it's modern enough. The GPU doesn't really seem to be doing anything. Does Reason actually use the GPU for drawing now, or is it still software rendered via the CPU, and the GPU is only called on when applying rescales?
Can't say. My system is an old i7 3770K and a Geforce GTX 980 Ti. Maybe a driver issue on your end? Does Reason detect your GPU when it's running?
JiggeryPokery wrote:
14 Oct 2022
And sure, it's not a deal-breaker. It probably highlights that literally no-one has used those buttons in years, hence no-one noticed it before :lol:
Even when I was knee deep in Reason as my primary DAW, I rarely almost never used them! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
11 Oct 2022
On a more positive note, the same song that would crawl to almost a halt plays PERFECTLY at a buffer of 64 samples at the default CPU setting on my new M1 Studio Max. The previous version needed 1024 sample buffers and turning off Multi-Core Rendering to play without glitches. Impressive performance indeed.
I should note that I’ve never been able to get 64 samples to play complex songs on any previous systems I’ve owned or worked on!
[there is some minor glitching with fast scrolling @ 64 samples, but none at higher buffer settings]
Yeah. I don't have a HUGE performance difference against the previous version but I'm able to play live stuff over a heavy project with no glitches at 128 sample buffer!

This stability is really great, super fast response while playing keys or the EWI.

MarkTarlton

14 Oct 2022

One other weird bug that popped up late last night, I was working on a tune and my computer fell asleep, after i got home there was a static almost white noise coming through my built in souncard via headphones that has never happened, it was really loud. I'm on an older i7 mac with mojave, so it could just be outdated, but worth noting in case others experience the same thing. I haven't had any other crashes though, so that's a bonus!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2022

MarkTarlton wrote:
14 Oct 2022
One other weird bug that popped up late last night, I was working on a tune and my computer fell asleep, after i got home there was a static almost white noise coming through my built in souncard via headphones that has never happened, it was really loud. I'm on an older i7 mac with mojave, so it could just be outdated, but worth noting in case others experience the same thing. I haven't had any other crashes though, so that's a bonus!
Attachments
343F8F1A-0BDD-4B9D-A3B5-8BB54CF961C1.jpeg
343F8F1A-0BDD-4B9D-A3B5-8BB54CF961C1.jpeg (20.53 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

14 Oct 2022

JiggeryPokery wrote:
14 Oct 2022
what's your verdict on the SSL redrawing ? It's utterly pants here. If you've not tried it, just add a load of SubTs or whatever to a new document, more than will fill the mixer, and try to scroll. It's really laggy here :( I'm not aware of any scrolling redraw lag with the Rack, fwiw.
Well Matt, I stand corrected. Full disclosure: I've been spending so much time away from my computer and on standalone devices in my studio (Akai MPC Live II and Akai Force) that I obviously missed this. But check this out - here's scrolling in a relatively CPU-intensive project in Reason 11:

And by comparison, here's the same project in the latest 12.2.9 d40:

So, yeah - it's an early 2010's choppy GIF. I'll go on record and admit, at least the audio is playing back flawlessly - no pop/click and I can get lower audio card latency in 12.2.9 d40 than I could in Reason 11. So, there's "that". :lol: But clearly the graphics handling still needs work.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
14 Oct 2022
JiggeryPokery wrote:
14 Oct 2022
what's your verdict on the SSL redrawing ? It's utterly pants here. If you've not tried it, just add a load of SubTs or whatever to a new document, more than will fill the mixer, and try to scroll. It's really laggy here :( I'm not aware of any scrolling redraw lag with the Rack, fwiw.
Well Matt, I stand corrected. Full disclosure: I've been spending so much time away from my computer and on standalone devices in my studio (Akai MPC Live II and Akai Force) that I obviously missed this. But check this out - here's scrolling in a relatively CPU-intensive project in Reason 11:

And by comparison, here's the same project in the latest 12.2.9 d40:

So, yeah - it's an early 2010's choppy GIF. I'll go on record and admit, at least the audio is playing back flawlessly - no pop/click and I can get lower audio card latency in 12.2.9 d40 than I could in Reason 11. So, there's "that". :lol: But clearly the graphics handling still needs work.
I confirm this too. And you don't need a very busy project to have this done issues. I have an i5 12600k with a Nvidia GTX 1050ti.

Pepin

14 Oct 2022

JiggeryPokery wrote:
14 Oct 2022

There's definitely something going wrong there.

Here's how it looks for me on a 2018 MacBook Pro with Pro Vega 20 (on the built-in retina display):

Older versions of Reason really struggled with scrolling on the retina display unless you forced the app to low res.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2022

The scrolling could be down to Reason simply being conservative on how frequently it updates, ... what's the GPU meter saying?

Billy+

14 Oct 2022

I'm so glad that over a year later my decision that R12 slow rollout really wasn't worth buying into was right.

I do hope that they pull there fingers out and release the next major version with a complete feature set like the good old days before the take over ;)

I mean

is Reason HiRes actually working correctly yet?
Is Reason advanced search worth it yet ?
Is CMBv2 what was missing?

Seriously R12 price increases followed by massive %60 discounts still haven't convinced me to buy R12 what the funk went wrong - marketing to spoiled kids with mummies cash to waist on subscription is only going to get them so far before the internet is full of tiktok/YouTube kiddies chucking crap at their cages.

Here's looking forward to seeing what December brings, maybe just maybe R12 just might be complete and the real bug fixes can start before the marketing hype for R13 starts :clap:

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2022

Billy+ wrote:
14 Oct 2022
Yes. But AFAIK there's a lot more work to be done
Billy+ wrote:
14 Oct 2022
You kidding? Of course it was necessary.

chimp_spanner

14 Oct 2022

Billy+ wrote:
14 Oct 2022
I'm so glad that over a year later my decision that R12 slow rollout really wasn't worth buying into was right.

I do hope that they pull there fingers out and release the next major version with a complete feature set like the good old days before the take over ;)

I mean

is Reason HiRes actually working correctly yet?

Seriously R12 price increases followed by massive %60 discounts still haven't convinced me to buy R12 what the funk went wrong - marketing to spoiled kids with mummies cash to waist on subscription is only going to get them so far before the internet is full of tiktok/YouTube kiddies chucking crap at their cages.

Here's looking forward to seeing what December brings, maybe just maybe R12 just might be complete and the real bug fixes can start before the marketing hype for R13 starts :clap:
It's a slightly odd place to be in because on the surface, with the exception of combi 2 which I *love* yeah, we've basically had to take several steps back, to get back to the stability and usability of 11 BUT...I think with this latest updates, it's surpassed it by a great deal in terms of performance. Even with the things that are missing or late I'm seeing an uncharacteristically high percentage of positive posts, even from people who are usually kinda unhappy, saying that their machines now run it better than ever. So I think this was like a difficult in-between release that sorted out a lot of things that should've been done a long time ago.

Was a tough start but I am very much enjoying 12 now. And I'm still as excited/hopeful as ever for what will eventually come.

scotward57

15 Oct 2022

Cesco wrote:
13 Oct 2022
scotward57 wrote:
11 Oct 2022
I have the Akai MPK mini 3 and was hoping the bug fix on this release would get the auto detect feature of Remote to work correctly. But it didn't. And if I add it manually I get these errors:

Failed to load control surface: Akai, MPK mini mk3.
Map File Errors:
Line 13: Map entry with unknown control surface item.
Line 75: Map entry with unknown control surface item.
Line 148: Map entry with unknown control surface item.

I don't see any instructions that tell me if I need to do anything on the MPK mini 3 itself, like select a certain program setup/channel. Any guesses?

Found this on the support page. can't try it right now to see if it works.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -solve-it-
Thanks for the tip! I got it to work, but I had to dig into the Show Contents of the Reason App File (Mac) and copy and paste the missing codec to get it to work. Also the Subtractor midi map is missing but every other stock device seems to work so far.

Jackjackdaw

15 Oct 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
12 Oct 2022
EnochLight wrote:
12 Oct 2022

Hey man - I just checked my Windows machine (that infamously had search indexing broken for several Reason 12 updates many moons ago). 12.2.9 d40 search/indexing seems to work fine for me. Sorry! Looks like you've got a unique issue.
All good! Deleting the index v4 and 5 on the advice of support helped. Although v4 still isn't rebuilt. Not sure if it's needed for something else that I'm not aware of at this point. But v5 was, and once it did, search worked again. Fast as anything too. Like really fast.
How do you go about deleting these indexes? I’m having weird browser behaviour.

Pepin

15 Oct 2022

Jackjackdaw wrote:
15 Oct 2022
chimp_spanner wrote:
12 Oct 2022

All good! Deleting the index v4 and 5 on the advice of support helped. Although v4 still isn't rebuilt. Not sure if it's needed for something else that I'm not aware of at this point. But v5 was, and once it did, search worked again. Fast as anything too. Like really fast.
How do you go about deleting these indexes? I’m having weird browser behaviour.
They're at these locations:
Windows: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason
macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Caches

The files to delete are named __ReasonIndex_v4.dat and __ReasonIndex_v5.dat

Taken from this sticky
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514631

Biolumin3sc3nt

17 Oct 2022

mimidancer wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
11 Oct 2022
Wow, I guess there was a "Reason" for Me to wake up so damn early today : ) Finally 12.9 shows itself – from the beta

We all know what's still waiting tho...
we all don't know, but you can share if ya want.
VST3/ Apple Silly Puddy : )

Loque

17 Oct 2022

Tried the new version on the WE. The performance is worse in some cases compared to R11. Maybe it's at least more energy efficient...
Reason12, Win10

Arpeg
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2022

Loque wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Tried the new version on the WE. The performance is worse in some cases compared to R11. Maybe it's at least more energy efficient...
How so? I believe you have a similar PC to mine as in : i7 3770, 3.4Ghz and I presume Windows 10? All drivers updated of course.
Since the update Reason has been stable for me.
Plus, I am able to use Arturia's Augmented Strings and Spire devices far far better than before, no issues. I don't think I have seen any graphical problems at the moment either. I was getting the exact same problem as Jigg Poke.

This may mean something or nothing but I'll throw it out there. Have you tried opening up a new project/song since the update? Or, are you running a project/song prior to the update?

Arpeg
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
12 Oct 2022
Arpeg wrote:
11 Oct 2022
Oh the Pain of unwanted glitches in visual and sound are now gone. Like Selig and others, I am reaching 64 buffer size, sample rate 48,000 and Max Threads just on Default on a track that had weird glitch problems before this update.
Using a i7 3770 3.4Ghz Win10 - Behringer UMC404HD - It seems flawless at the moment and now I can say it is the best it has been since I jumped back on the Reason ship in version 10.
No weird browser search behaviour, all seems fine atm. Hope folks get their problems sorted and get to experience a very up to par Reason 12.
FWIW I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem atm. Good news for you all. Bad news for me lol
Sorry for late response, Chimp. I see you have got it sorted and thank you for the important info regarding the index, much appreciated. :thumbs_up:

Loque

17 Oct 2022

Arpeg wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Loque wrote:
17 Oct 2022
How so? I believe you have a similar PC to mine as in : i7 3770, 3.4Ghz and I presume Windows 10? All drivers updated of course.
Since the update Reason has been stable for me.
Plus, I am able to use Arturia's Augmented Strings and Spire devices far far better than before, no issues. I don't think I have seen any graphical problems at the moment either. I was getting the exact same problem as Jigg Poke.

This may mean something or nothing but I'll throw it out there. Have you tried opening up a new project/song since the update? Or, are you running a project/song prior to the update?
Well, i just made a quick test. Opened an older song in R11, which started stuttering after a few seconds. In this R12 build it immediately started stuttering.

Will maybe give it a more detailed view on the weekend with some other old songs and compare them. Comparison might be a bit difficult since the CPU meter is not usable for comparison. AFAIR prior this build the CPU was always utilized and now they are used on demand, where the newest option can have an impact because of the scheduling overhead. Just guessing...

Regarding config, i have latest drivers and the 8086 special edition, which is some sort of i7 if i remember correctly - yea, its called i7-8086K... And yes, i also checked performance settings, buffer sizes and so on and so forth...

Anybody tried the performance measuring song laying around here somewhere on RT?
Reason12, Win10

Arpeg
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2022

Your PC is better mine, thx for the link and detailed explanation. Sorry I cannot help, not too clued up on the specifics.
Odd behaviour though and I can't fathom as to why my less powerful PC is running smooth compared to yours :?

Shout out to Mattias help brother Loque :-)

EnochLight

17 Oct 2022

Loque wrote:
17 Oct 2022
AFAIR prior this build the CPU was always utilized and now they are used on demand, where the newest option can have an impact because of the scheduling overhead. Just guessing...
Have you tried changing your CPU thread count in Reason's settings from 4 to 3, or even 2? On my 3770K, I've found that "default" and "4" perform worse, but dropping down to "3" or even "2" improves things a great deal. And I don't use the HT options at all.

Loque

17 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Loque wrote:
17 Oct 2022
AFAIR prior this build the CPU was always utilized and now they are used on demand, where the newest option can have an impact because of the scheduling overhead. Just guessing...
Have you tried changing your CPU thread count in Reason's settings from 4 to 3, or even 2? On my 3770K, I've found that "default" and "4" perform worse, but dropping down to "3" or even "2" improves things a great deal. And I don't use the HT options at all.
I tried default and with all threads except 1 or 2 for the OS. Also tried cores only. Both performed worse than R11.
Reason12, Win10

• Information