R12, 16 months on, ... how are you all finding it?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2023

Billy+ wrote:
22 Mar 2023
I started on R1 and had upgraded within a few days of each new release, I trialed R12+ but gave up before the 3 months was up.......
It's okay, not everyone reaches the end of the marathon 🔥

I'm on R+ now, ... kinda underusing it, but at the same time just saving me from myself (Complex-1 can easily eat a weekend for me).

ShelLuser

22 Mar 2023

I'm still on Reason 11, which I nowadays only sporadically use for the rack plugin feature. Meanwhile I'm using "other DAW" as my latest #2 in addition to Live; Live has been the center of my home studio ever since 2009.

Speak of which... the Live fanboy in me is flattered, but the former vivid Reason user in me otoh... So I go to the Reason website. I'm met with "The most creative music production bundle" and scrolling down I get to see Live with the Reason plugin on top.

Because the site opens with the rack plugin page.

Shouldn't the stand-alone DAW take priority here? Because anyone with a bit of common sense will quickly realize that if you grab the plugin and all rack extensions full price... you're better off getting something else like Komplete. This holds double if they fail to realize that Reason is actually a DAW.

I dunno what to think of all this anymore to be honest. IMO it's just sad... I've been using Reason next to Ableton Live ever since Reason 4, it was awesome. Then they drop all support for using Reason together with other DAW's and now present the plugin as the hottest thing ever.

Meanwhile "other DAW" just inserts itself into Live or any other DAW fully (including sequencer and even supports VST's) all no question asked, yet they still value their product as a DAW first and foremost.

To be perfectly honest I am kinda happy to have jumped ship, but at the same time... it's a 10 year Reason legacy for me too and ... it's also sad IMO. Going from 4 to 6 was awesome. Grabbing 10 ditto, just like using Reason for all those years in between. I'm still not fully over seeing what Reason has become: dropping all the options they had for working together with other DAW's, then making their trimmed down plugin look like something awesome.

It is cool, yes, but it doesn't come CLOSE to using Live + Reason ReWired. And I still miss those days :(

Why can "other DAW" just insert itself into Live fully and no questions asked while Reason can only muster a severely trimmed down setup? I actually enjoyed the Reason sequencer...

For the record... apologies if this post gives off the wrong vibes. NO disrespect intended here, and yah, in the end I really couldn't care less anymore. But audio is a passion of mine, I started out in 2009 with Live 8 Suite (actually had to purchase Max for Live seperately) and I quickly discovered Reason 4. For most of the past 10 years I've been working wiht Live + Reason together.

Had a synth evening this evening, stumbled upon the rack plugin and decided to look back into things. No Reason 13 or 14 by now it seems? I am kinda surprised given the rather frequent update cycle that used to be in place. To be honest I do think the slower pace does Reason WAY more credit. I'm still on Live 11, even though "other favorite DAW" already moved up a notch. Then again... that upgrade was fully free.

It was an awesome ride but now... I can't help wonder if ReasonStudios aren't going to come back from their - in my opinion - stupid business model. Ergo: stop pushing subscriptions. Especially in this day and age. I mean, Adobe has always been the pinnacle of "squeezing subscriptions" and they've opened up the gates big time, though under the ruse of hard to find URL's ("Photoshop Elements") or gaming (Substance products on Steam).

Peculiar ;)

oh well... thanks for hearing me out.
--- :reason:

Arrant
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2023

I’m now finding it from the plugin menu of another daw instead of from my windows quickbar.

That’s what happens when you don’t listen to your user base.

s0ber

29 Mar 2023

Just updated recently from Reason 11 Suite to Reason 12 and enjoying it a lot. High-dpi graphics is top-notch and it performs much smoother than R11 on my M1 Mac. I was surprised to see it this way, considering so many negative reviews around this area. Haven't experienced any bugs so far, everything just works better and smoother. And the updated graphics just give it a completely different feeling, like you're finally using some modern technology. I know, it's completely psychological, as sound is the same, but overall change in perception is drastic.

Highly recommend the update if you're still having doubts. 👍👍👍

WOO

29 Mar 2023

s0ber wrote:
29 Mar 2023
Just updated recently from Reason 11 Suite to Reason 12 and enjoying it a lot. High-dpi graphics is top-notch and it performs much smoother than R11 on my M1 Mac. I was surprised to see it this way, considering so many negative reviews around this area. Haven't experienced any bugs so far, everything just works better and smoother. And the updated graphics just give it a completely different feeling, like you're finally using some modern technology. I know, it's completely psychological, as sound is the same, but overall change in perception is drastic.

Highly recommend the update if you're still having doubts. 👍👍👍
Lucky you. I still don't trust running 12, which I own on my windows system because I never know when its going to crash. 11suite working for me, just fine most of the time.

Wobbleburger

31 Mar 2023

My frustration-fueled auth server down plea to the Propell- Reason Studio. MORE KNOBS! JK there's plenty. Combinators are amazing, that's all set - let it simmer for a bit. Make the back/forward mouse4/5 keys work in the explorer too. It's standard stuff. Maybe just let the explorer be its own window like the other three. I've always been bugged by having to resize it on 2 windows. Just need one yall, love ya tho. Oh, and rack bookmarks. You can hit control F2 to set it, F2 to go to the spot it was set. Maybe put a little bookmark tab there or something - doesn't matter. I need to get around faster and there's a lot going on in the rack. That way you don't have to find the device on another window that has a lot going on. Imagine hitting F5 and Kong just pops up all prepped and ready to thump. And the bookmarks can flip to the back too. It's just an easy way to get around. There is absolutely no reason to set the explorer to thepatch folder for the device by default. IE I create Thor and my explorer goes THOR, here is a list of patches in case you don't want to use the arrows. I have to click back (folder up) to return to my previous place because the back mouse button doesn't work. I know you can change it (I think) but that needs to go. I love Reason and I truly believe that all my frustrations can be narrowed down to the explorer. Just make it float. Use the standard Windows setup, no need to brand/skin it. It's business and it needs to be fast. It's super awkward as it is. I've evolved to get used to it. That's probably my least favorite thing about the whole setup.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

DNGmaestro
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2023

I’ve lately started using it more regularly, as it seems that most severe bugs and crash issues were ironed out. However, it still feels kinda laggy and i have a very irritating issue going on that support doesn’t seem to be figuring it out, which is how the mixer gets really stuck and janky when there are enough channels to make it scroll. When i try to scroll it, it freezes in one place and then jumps suddenly to other place. It’s very janky and messes up workflow. In Reason 11 there were non of these issues, everything was perfect.
Does anyone have this problem as well?

moalla

07 Apr 2023

The scroll bug^^ I would say it´s a think of your gpu and open gl and at least the sytem your using, I´m on win 10 22H2 and everything works fine mostly, apart from the rack extension drag and drop probelms from browser to the rack...... If I follow the discussions at other places, their now reported often problems with the latest IOS and it´s newest metall gpu tech, so this is something what must be solved by apple not the different sofware companys!
I´ve heard as well something about problems with drivers from AMD and open gl in this case.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

pushedbutton

07 Apr 2023

:puf_bigsmile: I have a link on my desktop and link in my taskbar. I think it's really easy to find.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

SynthGang

08 Apr 2023

Reason 11 is still a lot faster opening and loading plugins and it gives me lower latency. Same is true on both macOS and Windows. I like some of the new features and addition of VST3 is nice though

ambi

08 Apr 2023

ShelLuser wrote:
22 Mar 2023
Had a synth evening this evening, stumbled upon the rack plugin and decided to look back into things. No Reason 13 or 14 by now it seems? I am kinda surprised given the rather frequent update cycle that used to be in place.
I think that has to do with the introduction of Reason+. It generates a steady income for RS so that they don't have to release a new version every 1 or 2 years.
I'm actually surprised that you can still "buy" Reason because the future of software seems to be based on subscription models.

jam-s

08 Apr 2023

ambi wrote:
08 Apr 2023
ShelLuser wrote:
22 Mar 2023
Had a synth evening this evening, stumbled upon the rack plugin and decided to look back into things. No Reason 13 or 14 by now it seems? I am kinda surprised given the rather frequent update cycle that used to be in place.
I think that has to do with the introduction of Reason+. It generates a steady income for RS so that they don't have to release a new version every 1 or 2 years.
I'm actually surprised that you can still "buy" Reason because the future of software seems to be based on subscription models.
That must be the kind of future many customers are not willing to accept. Going subscription only would be a really bad business decision as most of the user base of Reason seems to be of a more mature demographic which really hates subscriptions. From that premise it would turn out pretty much the same as the recent stunt that Waves just pulled.

• Information