Is there a 2023 Roadmap?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jac459

11 Feb 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote: ↑
29 Jan 2023
mimidancer wrote: ↑
29 Jan 2023
I really love 12. The combinator and Mimic are totally worth it. I am also loving using my vst3s without bluecat.
Mimic would be nice to have. But that's pretty much the only thing in R12 I truly care about. I did plan on upgrading back when the R12 upgrade was first released, but since it was riddled with problems I didn't. I know they've sorted most things out by now. But it took them so long that all the I initial hype I felt around the upgrade is long gone.
I might as well wait and see what R13 (or R14) has to offer.
That's the problem of forums... people without issues don't post, so basically it gives the false impression of everybody having bugs.
Using R12 since Jan 2022 with no issue at all.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2023

Jac459 wrote: ↑
11 Feb 2023
That's the problem of forums... people without issues don't post, so basically it gives the false impression of everybody having bugs.
It's more a problem with human cognition.

You can show people statistics, and they will still turn around and tell you, "yes, but I'm hearing reports from real people on forums." πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2023

avasopht wrote: ↑
11 Feb 2023
11 Feb 2023
It's more a problem with human cognition.

You can show people statistics, and they will still turn around and tell you, "yes, but I'm hearing reports from real people on forums." πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ
Sure it may be true that only a minority were affected by bugs. But still, the bugs were obviously way more prominent compared to other releases. And some people had really crippling bugs. At the very least the release was sold in an unfinished state. There's always loads of complaints with any new release. But the complaints are typically more about people not getting the features they want. When it comes to Reason people don't often complain this much about bugs regarding a release.

It's one thing to look at statistics, but as someone who experienced really crippling bugs myself with the release of R11, to the point where it was unusable I pretty much promised myself then and there that with any Reason upgrade, I would never be RS guinea pig ever again. So I followed this forum carefully this time and there were simply too many people (even if that's a minority) reporting problems for me to take the leap this time. I'm simply not risking stability for a couple of new toys. It's as simple as that. For me stability and reliability always comes first.
Again I do believe R12 is stable NOW, but at this point I've simply lost interest.

Jac459

11 Feb 2023

11 Feb 2023
Again I do believe R12 is stable NOW, but at this point I've simply lost interest.
I find it very healthy that we all have different perspectives and tastes. πŸ™‚
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2023

11 Feb 2023
Sure it may be true that only a minority were affected by bugs. But still, the bugs were obviously way more prominent compared to other releases. And some people had really crippling bugs. At the very least the release was sold in an unfinished state. There's always loads of complaints with any new release. But the complaints are typically more about people not getting the features they want. When it comes to Reason people don't often complain this much about bugs regarding a release.

It's one thing to look at statistics, but as someone who experienced really crippling bugs myself with the release of R11, to the point where it was unusable I pretty much promised myself then and there that with any Reason upgrade, I would never be RS guinea pig ever again. So I followed this forum carefully this time and there were simply too many people (even if that's a minority) reporting problems for me to take the leap this time. I'm simply not risking stability for a couple of new toys. It's as simple as that. For me stability and reliability always comes first.
Oh, I agree 100%.

The R12 release was concerning for me. I wrote a few threads about it that I think have aged pretty well ;)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2023

11 Feb 2023
11 Feb 2023
I find it very healthy that we all have different perspectives and tastes. πŸ™‚
Yes :thumbs_up:

deeplink
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2023

tronam wrote: ↑
11 Feb 2023
By the time Reason finally gets M1 native support Apple will have lapped them a third time with the M3. ;)
Isn't Apple Silicone all the same thing? So it doesn't matter if its M1, 2 etc. ?

Where do you get your information from? I'm interested
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

QVprod

11 Feb 2023

They said early 2023 for M1 support. There’s still a month and a half in the first quarter.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2023

deeplink wrote: ↑
11 Feb 2023
Isn't Apple Silicone all the same thing? So it doesn't matter if its M1, 2 etc. ?

He's just being tongue in cheek ;)

DaveyG

11 Feb 2023

11 Feb 2023
deeplink wrote: ↑
11 Feb 2023

It's the N1 processor you need to worry about. :D

WaxTrax

12 Feb 2023

DaveyG wrote: ↑
11 Feb 2023
11 Feb 2023

It's the N1 processor you need to worry about. :D
When are we going to get support for running Reason on an Apple Watch? :lol:

joeyluck

12 Feb 2023

Reason has supported M1 since Reason 9.5.

Y'all are probably just looking in the wrong place...

Reason M1 support.png
Reason M1 support.png (109.59 KiB) Viewed 13209 times

:D

_andreypetr_

12 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote: ↑
12 Feb 2023
Okay from that moment I had to do it
InShot_20230212_193815590.jpg
Apple silly cone support
InShot_20230212_193815590.jpg (215.07 KiB) Viewed 13185 times

iTrensharo

12 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote: ↑
12 Feb 2023

Y'all are probably just looking in the wrong place...

Reason M1 support.png

:D
People are asking for M1 Native Support, so that they don't have to depend on Rosetta 2, which increases CPU and Memory Usage/Swapping, Thermals and decreases Performance.

Also, anything that isn't M1 Native has Planned Obsolescence built-into it de facto, which is why it was such a big deal that competitors were quick in moving to M1 Native (e.g. Studio One) It meant their users didn't have to pay a massive tax just to get an update that didn't turn their DAW into vaporware. Anything between Reason 9 and 11 is effectively vaporware, at this point. Once Rosetta is gone, you're going to be SoL unless you stop upgrading your OS and don't buy a new Mac (which will ship with the latest OS, unless you buy VERY close to release date).

Rosetta 2 is not "here to stay," and I'd expect Apple to pull it out of macOS after the next release. I wouldn't even be surprised if it gets pulled out in the next macOS release. I reckon Reason Studios is okay not releasing a Reason 13, because they are aware that Rosetta is likely to go away soon, and will be able to make up for any "excitement sales" from a new major version release with upgrade sales from users who are still on older versions of the DAW who will have no choice but to pay up if they want to run an up-to-date macOS operating system.

Additionally, that only works for DAWs that host plug-ins out-of-process in Rosetta 2 (Logic Pro, Bitwig Studio) - ignoring the fact that many plug-ins can be buggy when hosted this way. Those that do not simply cannot use the Reason Rack Plug-in unless you significantly nerf your entire production chain and run the host DAW under Rosetta 2 as well.

This means anything that isn't at least Reason 12 (coming Soonβ„’) will be 100% incompatible on new Macs that ship with a version of macOS that do not support Rosetta 2. Anyone on older versions will have to think about upgrading, unless they move to Windows to continue using the older version. That, or they can continue to use their older Mac and stop upgrading macOS itself.

I have a MBP, but I also have a Windows Desktop and Notebook, so I haven't really felt a huge amount of "pressure," though I am pretty close to removing Reason and considering it a "write off." They seem to be the absolute slowest developers in the DAW space, and I'd rather build my workflow and toolset around developers that are a bit more agile, responsive, and logical in their project management and development planning and delivery. You'd think Reason was a 1 man shop with the way they are progressing things. I can't see myself ever investing further in upgrades, or even Rack Extensions. I've really decreased my usage of it, accordingly.

Jac459

12 Feb 2023

tronam wrote: ↑
11 Feb 2023
By the time Reason finally gets M1 native support Apple will have lapped them a third time with the M3. ;)
Actually it is M native support, so it will be compatible... The M compatibility is just due to a one-off architecture change.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

strangers
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2023

11 Feb 2023
This pretty much sums up my thoughts and feelings. I caved and bought the R12 upgrade when it was pretty heavily discounted to $70 or whatever its lowest price point was. Have I installed R12 yet? Nope. As much as I hate to admit it, the sale shopped me. VST3 support was really all I was interested in. The time has come and I'm still more than happy with R11 Suite for the time being.

Faastwalker

19 Feb 2023

29 Jan 2023
Is there a 2023 Roadmap?
Yes, but it's not due until 2024 :thumbup:

moneykube

19 Feb 2023

Faastwalker wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2023
29 Jan 2023
Is there a 2023 Roadmap?
Yes, but it's not due until 2024 :thumbup:
I love slow cooked delicacies ... you would think after 17 months it would burn...
Roadmap priority level > negative 72> the answer to life , the universe and everything :lightbulb: >but backwards. :clap:
Oh well... perhaps we will get nuked before the elusive due date of dinner.
Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.37.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.37.58 PM.png (243.96 KiB) Viewed 12898 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Overtherainbow

20 Feb 2023

iTrensharo wrote: ↑
12 Feb 2023

Also, anything that isn't M1 Native has Planned Obsolescence built-into it de facto, which is why it was such a big deal that competitors were quick in moving to M1 Native (e.g. Studio One) It meant their users didn't have to pay a massive tax just to get an update that didn't turn their DAW into vaporware.
:lol:

First of all, apple users are not even 15% of all users (and of those 15%, M-chip users are not even 30%) and the market cares about you in these exact same terms - as if you (potentially) represented the Β¬15%. That's too much to give you the middle finger and send you to the apple forum where the issue belongs, but not enough to make it a β„–1 priority.

Secondly, the M chips are "meh" value for their money and they seem to work good in the medium price range, but that's about it. M chips are not "the future", just Apple now owning more of their production chain. Higher-end apple machines still use and WILL use intel chips.

And thirdly... Dude, you paid money to be a guinea pig for new tech that turned your DAW (which worked and works fine with anything else) into "vaporware" - that's a "tax" you imposed on yourself. Reason worked fine with apple on intel chips. This is why it's an apple forum issue.

When making music, we interface with the DAW, not with the chips on our computers, so the whole attitude of expecting your software to serve your hardware and not the other way around, seems backwards to me. It could be that you're not good enough to be using Reason :)

Joking aside, RS are good guys and are also fashionably greedy, so they will fix it - just give it a bit more time.

WaxTrax

20 Feb 2023

Overtherainbow wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2023
Secondly, the M chips are "meh" value for their money and they seem to work good in the medium price range, but that's about it. M chips are not "the future", just Apple now owning more of their production chain. Higher-end apple machines still use and WILL use intel chips.
This is absolutely untrue, and value is subjective in this case. M chips absolutely are the future in the Apple ecosystem, and the Mac Pro is the only computer still using Intel chips, and the transition to Apple Silicon on that model is expected this year.

Arguments about total market and user share of the Apple platform may or may not be valid, but there is no doubt that Apple is leaving Intel behind in all Mac computers.

tiker01

21 Feb 2023

WaxTrax wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2023
Overtherainbow wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2023
This is absolutely untrue, and value is subjective in this case. M chips absolutely are the future in the Apple ecosystem, and the Mac Pro is the only computer still using Intel chips, and the transition to Apple Silicon on that model is expected this year.

Arguments about total market and user share of the Apple platform may or may not be valid, but there is no doubt that Apple is leaving Intel behind in all Mac computers.
Just wanted to chime in to cause some disturbance. πŸ€“

It is not about Intel. It is about ARM64 vs x64. Therefore, if/when Intel will be able to produce ARM64 chips, designed either by Apple or Intel, they will have a chance to get back into MACs.
Β Β Β Β 
Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

WaxTrax

21 Feb 2023

That's a great point. My only argument against that would be the investment Apple has put into their own chips up to this point. I don't see them turning away from that any time soon.

mimidancer

22 Feb 2023

11 Feb 2023
29 Jan 2023

Mimic would be nice to have. But that's pretty much the only thing in R12 I truly care about. I did plan on upgrading back when the R12 upgrade was first released, but since it was riddled with problems I didn't. I know they've sorted most things out by now. But it took them so long that all the I initial hype I felt around the upgrade is long gone.
I might as well wait and see what R13 (or R14) has to offer.
I post fairly often and it is usually not about a problem. But then I am most ignored on this forum. I have been simply my dfam a lot. thinking about sharing the loops in rex format.

PhillipOrdonez

23 Feb 2023

Yes to dfam rex loops!

Also, has anyone linked to the new roadmap update they posted recently? Thought you people would be all over it by now.

Faastwalker

23 Feb 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2023
Also, has anyone linked to the new roadmap update they posted recently? Thought you people would be all over it by now.
Yes, got the email today with the link .............. but then noticed that the article in the link was dated 16 December 2022 :?

Roadmap update from CEO Niklas Agevik

• Information