How I love Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Superology

03 Jul 2023

It's a fantastic workstation. Graphics are one of its advantages. I also love the way different types of sound synthesis are done. Very promising. :thumbs_up:

Noise
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2023

What's your favorite synth in Reason, also what are you go-to tools & effects ?
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Mattvank

04 Jul 2023

Hell yeah,
I like R12 too. The new Combinator is good playground to build own optimized Devices. Also the RE´s in the shop from the Developers and Props are very well designed.
I build current a template for a live Technoset and use all new features of R12. So Props doing a lot well. :-)

PhillipOrdonez

04 Jul 2023

I've been using it standalone more and more after a long period of only RRP. I've always loved it and that'll never change. I just need to change things up every now and then; it feels like doing so keeps the creativity flowing.

bossa
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Jul 2023
I've been using it standalone more and more after a long period of only RRP. I've always loved it and that'll never change. I just need to change things up every now and then; it feels like doing so keeps the creativity flowing.
I love your song! Here is my song made only with objekt:

PhillipOrdonez

04 Jul 2023

bossa wrote:
04 Jul 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Jul 2023
I love your song! Here is my song made only with objekt:

Thanks Bossa. Yours is a really nice and immersive piece. I can picture it being used for a movie, tv show, or game. Kudos!

Superology

04 Jul 2023

Noise wrote:
04 Jul 2023
What's your favorite synth in Reason, also what are you go-to tools & effects ?
I didn't go deep into sound design yet, so it 's the tools of v.1 usually.

npinero1

05 Jul 2023

Over the years I've paid for almost all of the other DAWs:
- Ableton Live
-Bitwig Studio (I have not updated)
-Cubase LE (I have not updated)
-Digital Perfromer (I have not updated)
-Garage Band (free w Mac)
-Logic Pro
-ProTools
-Reaper
-Studio One

I absolutely prefer Reason over all of them.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

FrankJaeger

05 Jul 2023

Superology wrote:
03 Jul 2023
It's a fantastic workstation. Graphics are one of its advantages. I also love the way different types of sound synthesis are done. Very promising. :thumbs_up:
I can relate to your enthusiasm. Reason is the best DAW out in my humble opinion.
npinero1 wrote:
05 Jul 2023
- Ableton Live
-Logic Pro
-ProTools
-Reaper
-Studio One

And here I thought my DAW graveyard was packed... :lol:
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

ambi

06 Jul 2023

npinero1 wrote:
05 Jul 2023
- Ableton Live
-Logic Pro
-ProTools
-Reaper
-Studio One

And which one from that list would you choose if there was no Reason?

motuscott

06 Jul 2023

When I strap on ye olde six string you can't beat Caliburn and CustomVibe, lack of playing ability aside...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

06 Jul 2023

That VVV thingy has some nice breaking up tones, Eddie Van B damned
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MikeTheMan990

06 Jul 2023

I too, was turned on to Reason by way of Rebirth. In 1996-97 a good friend of mine who we were making electronic music at the time downloaded the open beta of Rebirth 1.0 when it first was able to be downloaded freely with blessings from the Props. I was so impressed by this software that I downloaded it myself and so this was my introduction along with VST demos on Cubase at my local GC as to the possibilities of real time music production on a standard home PC.

Fast forward to March 2000 and I land the warehouse manager job at my local MARS Music opening and throughout that first year, reps were coming in and giving special training clinics to the store staff to be able to sell all of the new software that was hitting at the time. For a successful completion of the clinic, and filling out a form verifying that you were employed my MARS, they would give NFR copies of the software they showed at the training. Through these trainings I got NFR's of Antares AutoTune, Ableton Live 1.0, and Reason 1.0, among others. I have stuck with Live and Reason until this day. I'd never imaging using anything else, these two together cover it all for me. I do also have NI Komplete 13 UCE and the Arturia collections of effects and instruments, but I paid for those over time.

As for Reason, nothing is quicker for me in getting rough ideas up and running in a manner that suits my way of working. Reason is just FAST for me, and that's important because I don't like getting bogged down in the technical aspects of these instruments when I just want to flesh out a quick song idea or arrangement. With Reason, I almost don't even have to think, I just call up what I need from my myriad of favorites, and hit record. I like that I'm so fast on Reason that I'm almost instinctive in my muscle memory in the stuff I call up. Not even Ableton Live is like that for me on that level.

jjpscott01

07 Jul 2023

Having done my share of "DAW Hopping" of the years as well, I can say Reason is still the standout in a number of ways. The visual difference alone is huge for me personally. The Rack system to me just makes more sense. I love being able to have it on my second screen where all of my instruments and effects are right there in view while im tracking. Despite hearing others complain about the sequencer, its actually one of the things I like most about Reason. The audio slice markers, the time stretch algorithm, and the in-line pitch editor are all features I prefer in Reason.

I remember a couple of years ago a songwriter buddy of mine who was a heavy Cubase user came over to record some acoustic for a project I was working on. He fell in love with the quick and easy workflow I had when recording and manipulating audio in Reason. He ended up going back home and buying his own copy and still uses it as his preferred DAW when tracking his band.

Reason to me doesn't do everything under the sun, but what it does do it does the right way. I guess you could say it feels very "refined" to me.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

arnigretar

07 Jul 2023

the good old motuscott quotes. but I love Reason as well.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

• Information