RE Updater not working anymore?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
altron

29 Jul 2023

Whenever updated REs appear in the shop that I already purchased I just went to My Products/Rack Extensions, clicked Sync All and it would update all installed ones that have an update available. However recently this seems not to work anymore, even on a new installed Windows PC which Reason and REs fresh installed.

Anyone know what's going on with that?
It quite tedious to update manually and it's not even easy to see in the shop anymore when a RE updated.
Trap is where music goes to die.

jam-s

29 Jul 2023

That automatic update has intentionaly been disabled for some months (on users request). ow you have to "buy" those updates in the shop for ferr to get the latest version.

ohmygoff

30 Jul 2023

Stumbled upon this nuissance recently... Is there any logical reason for switching off the one-click option?

jam-s

30 Jul 2023

The reason that was told is not to force the new versions onto users who do not want to update their REs (e.g. to keep the old look or while working on a project and not wanting any possible changes).

josb

30 Jul 2023

I'm probably missing something, but in that case why not just not run Sync All?

crimsonwarlock

30 Jul 2023

josb wrote:
30 Jul 2023
I'm probably missing something, but in that case why not just not run Sync All?
Imagine you need/want to do a clean installation of all your CURRENT rack extensions (e.g., on a new machine). In that case, you want the current state of your account being synced. That would be impossible if updates were automatically executed during sync-all.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

josb

30 Jul 2023

I see. Assuming Reason Studios tracks which REs you have currently installed on each of your systems, perhaps the way around this is to offer a choice during the syncing: install the set of REs as installed on a user-specified system of yours, or the latest versions from the shop of all REs you have access to.

The recent change clearly breaks the "update every RE" workflow. I understand that with that recent change, both use cases are supported, although the (more common?) "update every RE" workflow has become more cumbersome.

deigm

30 Jul 2023

Some indication that an update is available on the My Products > Rack Extensions page would be nice.

I currently have no idea if my rack extensions are up to date or not, because there's no easy way to check that I know of.

Kypresso

30 Jul 2023

Next to the sync all button it says,
"Click to sync your account with this computer.
This will make sure all your Rack Extensions are installed and updated. "

I've always just used this to get updates but you are saying this doesn't actually do what the description says?

deigm

31 Jul 2023

Kypresso wrote:
30 Jul 2023
Next to the sync all button it says,
"Click to sync your account with this computer.
This will make sure all your Rack Extensions are installed and updated. "

I've always just used this to get updates but you are saying this doesn't actually do what the description says?
Yeah, it used to work that way but that changed. I'm not sure exactly when.

boggg1

31 Jul 2023

Wow, Sync All just updated an RE, the first time in many months.
Try it again, something appears to have changed. I'd be interested if others find the same or did I misunderstand what just apparently happened.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

boggg1

31 Jul 2023

Just checked and no other RE needed updating, so it correctly updated the one RE that needed it.
The update was to Maia and I notice it is first on the list in the shop front page. Being first usually means the RE has an update (as in this case) or it is new.

So (on one occasion) it has behaved as it used to behave.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

deigm

04 Aug 2023

boggg1 wrote:
31 Jul 2023
Wow, Sync All just updated an RE, the first time in many months.
Try it again, something appears to have changed. I'd be interested if others find the same or did I misunderstand what just apparently happened.
Seems you're right. I just hit sync all and some RE's updated. So I hit it a few more times and a few more updates installed. Kept hitting it until it wouldn't do anything anymore, then hit it a few more times until I was sure it was done.
Then I went to the Reason store to see if I could find any updates it missed. I found a few.

Ultimately hitting 'Sync All' about 15 times updated these REs:
Luna
RX950
Scale matrix
Object
SubBoomBass

But missed these REs:
Algoritm
RP Distort
flangerDbl BLueface
(Possibly others but I got bored of searching).

So 'Sync All' works again. Sort Of. Although perhaps it should be labeled 'Sync Some'.

plasticfractal

11 Aug 2023

This is really bad. I recently got a new computer, and had to reinstall Reason. Tons of REs I bought over the years are missing. I used to be able to just sync all, and they would all magically appear and/or update. Now I have to manually install them. And that only works IF the RE is still currently in the shop. Several REs I own are no longer in the shop, and I have no way of installing them now.

crimsonwarlock

11 Aug 2023

plasticfractal wrote:
11 Aug 2023
Several REs I own are no longer in the shop, and I have no way of installing them now.
If you own them, then they are available in your account, regardless of them being available in the shop or not. Everything installs from your account, not from the shop.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

altron

27 Aug 2023

What RS really should be doing is to improve the shop area of the website where we can manage which REs to update. Having Sync All disabled is the most user-unfriendly method. And while they're at it make it so that users can sort the shop items to show the updated but not synced ones at the top. Because currently if they are already purchased and have been updated they only show as FREE. But they also could show as FREE if the RE is free and just hasn't been "purchased" (for free) yet. There's no visible distinction and I'm actually not always sure if one that shows FREE is one I've purchased before.

These issues wouldn't be such an annoyance if the shop website wouldn't be so abysmally slow all the time.
Trap is where music goes to die.

• Information