I/O display - still no one to the rescue??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
snafu

15 Feb 2024

It's 2024, and still, with every update, I await the one feature that would be so awesome and helpfull, and yet has not arrived:
naming your inputs and outputs!

After the twelveth iteration we are still down to "In 1/2", "In 3/4", respectively "Out 1/2", "Out 3/4". This may be fine, if all you ever need is an audio interface with say up to 8 I/Os. I have an old but trusty Tascam DM 3200 here with 64 I/Os (I use two extension cards). In my studio room there are three wallboxes, each with 16 inputs and eight outputs. Yes, I made a .pdf flipchart, but hell - why can't it be easy AND convenient? I'd much rather name my "In 1/2" to something meaningfull like "Wallbox 1 Ch4" or even "Vocal mic". I look at a lot of DAWs that have this feature. I switched over to Reaper two years ago. Just like my old DAW: you can name your I/Os!

Now, people of Reason - what do you think?
(I remember posting my request several times to the support, and was promised, it would be in the pipeline. That was back with Reason 11...)

cheers
snafu

selig
RE Developer

15 Feb 2024

As a fellow “high input count” studio guy, I totally agree. I currently have a page printed out I keep right below my monitor, which is how I ‘remember’ which instruments are plugged into each input. I have 32 I/O, and back when I only had 4-8 inputs it wasn’t so bad (but still a little frustrating).

I would imagine there are not nearly as many of us as folks with far smaller setups, so we are probably a lower priority. But I would also add that Reason is not attracting folks like us despite having basic support for way more I/O than I’m currently using.
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

15 Feb 2024

The best workaround right now is to use these two REs and add them to your template:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ce-helper/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ce-helper/

snafu

15 Feb 2024

Thanks Jam-s for your input - I've already tried my workaround with Info-Bay. After two days of testing I was sick of using it.

Here's why: it adds one layer of "complexity" to an otherwise quite simple task. If I can assign my I/Os through simple string representations, and thus considering that this is "all" I need, InfoBay comes with another routing-option (as though Reason would really need yet another one :crazy: ). Maybe it sounds nitpicky, but the labels are far too small. I am 100 cm away from my screen. Even if had a 2 meters wide screen: what's the use of it, if all I can do is chose a small label that forces me to cryptic abrevations that - again - I have to write down manually, just to remember what WB 1/MM was meant to be?

To come up again with the Reaper example: here my physical input 7/8 is labeled "Guitart at Siderack In"; my main vocal mike (residing at 9/10) is labeled "Wallbox 1-9/10 Mic". So quite long labels, but with the benefit of really knowing what where to put. Even someone not familiar with the studio can figure out quite quickly how things work.

Now, there are other reasons I'd like to use Reason more often - unfortunately this is always a show stopper for me. Not to mention the many workarounds and hacks one has to go through in order to export one midi clip of one instrument. Oh, the horror...but that's another story.

@selig: Absolutely, mate. I also think that consumers with a high count of I/Os are lower-priority. On the other hand, just as you said, even with 8 I/Os you still benefit from such a minor feature.

• Information