Wav to RX2

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RTFX

30 Mar 2024

Hi guys,
I’m having trouble and could use some guidance.
Using v12, latest update.
Theres this 160bpm loop i want to change to 144.
No matter what I tried, it just doesnt sound the same as the 160 loop.
Artifacts, this particilur timestretch sound from 90s dnb era, and pitch variations.
All the things I do not want.
What I did, but didnt cut it:
- timestretch in sequencer. (Stretch and transpose type. All 3 dont sound good)
- bounce clip to rex loop (rex loop is still 160 and not 144)
- NNXT (unwanted pitch change when slowing down)
-MIMIC (same as NNXT)
It would be great if I could turn it to RX2 without changing the sound of the individual slices AT ALL, but I just cant get it done.
Anybody?
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

crimsonwarlock

30 Mar 2024

RTFX wrote:
30 Mar 2024
-MIMIC (same as NNXT)
Did you try slice-mode in Mimic?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RTFX

30 Mar 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Mar 2024
RTFX wrote:
30 Mar 2024
-MIMIC (same as NNXT)
Yes I did.
Changing the speed with the speed knob also changes the pitch.
And if I use the pitch knob to correct that, the pitch goes higher but the tempo also.
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

huggermugger

30 Mar 2024

Did you try Grain?

RTFX

30 Mar 2024

SOLVED!
Thnx guys for your time!
I guess I made the mother of all rookie mistakes.
I loaded the sample in the programmer part of Dr Rex instead of the upper part with the 8 slots.
Now it sounds exactly like the 160’without any quality loss.
Me happy and yes, you guys may laugh at me.
Have a great Easter and thnx again!

crimsonwarlock

30 Mar 2024

RTFX wrote:
30 Mar 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Mar 2024
Yes I did.
Changing the speed with the speed knob also changes the pitch.
And if I use the pitch knob to correct that, the pitch goes higher but the tempo also.
Just for completeness, the whole idea behind slicing stuff is that you do not change pitch or speed (unless that is wanted as well), but to play the slices (via the corresponding notes) at the desired tempo.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Theo.M

01 Apr 2024

RTFX wrote:
30 Mar 2024
Hi guys,
I’m having trouble and could use some guidance.
Using v12, latest update.
Theres this 160bpm loop i want to change to 144.
No matter what I tried, it just doesnt sound the same as the 160 loop.
Artifacts, this particilur timestretch sound from 90s dnb era, and pitch variations.
All the things I do not want.
What I did, but didnt cut it:
- timestretch in sequencer. (Stretch and transpose type. All 3 dont sound good)
- bounce clip to rex loop (rex loop is still 160 and not 144)
- NNXT (unwanted pitch change when slowing down)
-MIMIC (same as NNXT)
It would be great if I could turn it to RX2 without changing the sound of the individual slices AT ALL, but I just cant get it done.
Anybody?
hearing the original loop would always help, but with proper slice editing, time variations will be easily possible. Slice editing can be very time consuming, and I got good in it in pro tools after a long time learning, but I haven't used it in Reason so I'm the wrong person to help you. But I wanted to encourage you as it will probably give you the results you seek.

BTW have you tried varispeed or is the pitch essential as it is?

If it's a melodic loop without clearly defined transients, the REX way is probably not the right way.

I have access to elastique pro and izotope radius in pro tools. Why don't you just upload the loop and I'll use all the methods in pro tools to go from source to your target destination tempo and send it back to you?
If those two won't do it well, nothing will.

splitpen

02 Apr 2024

Doesn't Reason also remember the BPM when you export to a wave file? If you first export at 160 BPM and then reload the sample in at lower BPM session the sample should be converted to that BPM as well.. at least this is the case with 11.3
Latest track: https://youtu.be/R5hIQQzJUOs?si=wJCMb2xD5mj1znXx
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

Theo.M

03 Apr 2024

splitpen wrote:
02 Apr 2024
Doesn't Reason also remember the BPM when you export to a wave file? If you first export at 160 BPM and then reload the sample in at lower BPM session the sample should be converted to that BPM as well.. at least this is the case with 11.3
I think the OP's issue was the quality of the TS wasn't up to their expectations.

I did offer to process the file with Radius and Elastique pro but haven't heard anything since I posted.

• Information