Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
nebraskafire

04 May 2024

Hm..at the moment I m not convinced. I can't see features like folder tracks, better audio editing or mixer improvements but I curious to see what really is in version 13.

One thing I m missing is the dub and alt function in the transport bar. Is this function still there?

helmutson

04 May 2024

The Reason Rack is still the most important thing for Reasonstudios ( and seriously, it was always)
Reason 13 is showing that again.
OK, the sequencer is better organised now, but I can‘t find any new functions. They put all these single
windows into one and thats good, but nothing what many expected . Cosmetics , thats all.
Reasons sequencer is good, but there is no chance becoming the same quality/quantity as Logic,
Cubase, Live or Bitwig etc. I think it‘s simply not their goal.
Personally I have no problems with that, I use Reason as a beautiful Rack full of nice soundmachines
within my hardware (MPC) system. That was different in times of Reason 1- 7 or so, but now
it’s just a nice addition and thats all … times are changing ;)

Forget to mentioned, I love the new devices - there are very welcomed !
Last edited by helmutson on 04 May 2024, edited 2 times in total.

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

nebraskafire wrote:
04 May 2024
One thing I m missing is the dub and alt function in the transport bar. Is this function still there?
They are clearly showing in the screenshots where the transport bar is visible :puf_wink:

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

_andreypetr_

04 May 2024

Still waiting for really good combinator update..

Creativemind

04 May 2024

EnochLight wrote:
02 May 2024
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
02 May 2024
I looked it up, and it appears that Reason's browser was changed to what it is currently in R9,
Nope - the redesign dumping the original window pop-up browser was in Reason 8, almost a decade ago. The later versions just tweaked it. Reason 13 is sort of a return to that pop-up window, but it's far more modern/useful.

/Mod note to everyone in this thread: I do hope people reserve judgement until they've tried it. So sad to see the doom and gloom posts. We all know they'll continue to add features in point releases anyway, so who knows what Reason 13.1, 13.2, etc will bring? ;)

But, for all those who have had enough and plan to go elsewhere, that's cool too.

The point releases that take like 6 months to come out, doubtful we'll see a 13.1 this year.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

04 May 2024

Kilsane wrote:
03 May 2024
Neo wrote:
03 May 2024

Yes we have Scales & Chords RE though I would appreciate that feature baked into the piano roll myself.

I also use scales & chords and I appreciate it, but it is less practical in certain cases than having the function directly integrated into the pianoroll (I hope that it will come one day and Reason Studios should take an example of what to was made by ableton in version 12 because they did a great job)
I agree, super useful integrated and we need note displays too and as someone has said, get rid of those arrows on notes. A strum feature and chord painting too.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

nebraskafire

04 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 May 2024
nebraskafire wrote:
04 May 2024
They are clearly showing in the screenshots where the transport bar is visible :puf_wink:

Ups...😄👍

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

I'm going to upgrade just for the new browser and the new edit-pane in the sequencer. Both will have a great positive effect on my workflow :thumbup:

Everything else is just additional sweet sauce :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Kilsane

04 May 2024

Hi,
I'm taking this opportunity to make my list of grievances ^^
If we could also have the quintol, septol in time division in the piano roll that would be great too.
What I would also appreciate is the probability and a ratchet mode
the midi comping, I found it for the audio but not for the midi (I didn't look too hard either)
The punch in/out
I also hope that Reason Studios will one day study the possibility of integrating a clip launcher
And lots of other things, I'll stop there because it's not a thread of grievance either
I am fond of all the little additions that improve everyday life
Attachments
quintol septol.png
quintol septol.png (4.36 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Last edited by Kilsane on 04 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

luckygreen

04 May 2024

robussc wrote:
03 May 2024
Happy to see that the Polytone is properly attached to the rack, but I'm a bit worried about secure it is.... ;) Polytone.png
I would have used a torx screw, but other than that looks tightened tightly to me. :thumbs_up:
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

luckygreen

04 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
03 May 2024
riemac wrote:
03 May 2024
The pictures only show a white and black interface, will there still be a dark blue one?
I wonder how many others use the blue theme... I've always used it myself since it's lower contrast. I find it easiest on the eyes when using a mix of light and dark colored plugins.
Reason 12 blue skin user here. They don't dare to remove the blue skin, are they?! :shock: Na, they don't ,do they? :-?
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

luckygreen

04 May 2024

AfterAudio wrote:
03 May 2024
Reason Sequencer + Tools = :puf_smile:

But I'm wondering about this :think:
"We even snuck in some new editing feature here that are quite useful."

and hello everyone, this is my first post on ReasonTalk. :wave:
Hello AfterAudio. Nice to meet you. What comes AfterAudio? Text? Video? Dessert?

luckygreen

04 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
03 May 2024
I’m surprised at the amount people triggered by the new browser being in a separate window…
Way way back I was using Cubase. Recently I took a look at FL Studio. What they have in common are their windows on top of other windows. It felt like I was opening, closing, resizing and repositioning windows more than anything else. I like that every area in Ableton Live and Reason has it's place, it's own frame within the main screen. OK, you have to use F5 to F7 to switch between the Reason views (with a single screen setup), but that's fine with me. Hope that floating browser thingy works the same. And most importantly that it remermbers it's position. Imagine one time it opens top right, the next time bottom left, etc. Chaos! :puf_unhappy: :lol:

SynthGang

04 May 2024

I'm very interested to see what the new version brings. I've been pretty happy with Reason 12 but I've done side-by-side comparisons and for whatever Reason 12 has always performed worse than 11 on my machine: higher latency, slower browser, etc. but I'm hopeful they'll continue to iron these sorts of things out.

A lot of people mention either being disappointed/pleased with what few? workflow improvements are being implemented, and I don't have my hopes set high, but since we're on the topic...

MASSIVE +1 to everybody who's mentioned the inclusion of a video player. I really strongly feel this could really help Reason entice a whole segment of DAW users who might not otherwise consider it a viable platform, especially considering its inherent strengths as a sound design tool.

To go with the ability to edit to video, I'd love to see the implementation of a dedicated and searchable key command window à la Pro Tools and DaVinci Resolve (accessible via key commands Shift + Windows Key + K and Ctrl + Alt + K respectively on Windows) that allows key command customization and creation of mapping presets.

Not like there are a ton of key commands in Reason as it is (especially compared to Pro Tools), but having said that, I would love to see a lot more key command functionality being implemented, especially as far as editing goes.

Some commands that I find indispensable as examples (all taken from Pro Tools) and painful to not have implemented as one-button (where applicable) commands in Reason:
  • Trim clip start/end to cursor (A, S respectively)
  • Fade In From Start To Cursor/Fade Out From Cursor To End (D, G)
  • Ctrl + F to crossfade selected abutting clip seams
  • Set loop to timeline selection (O - i.e. whatever you select in timeline, just hit 'O' and loop in/out are set to that selection - would be useful for comping imo)
  • Nudge clip gain up/down (Shift + Win Key + Up/Down Arrow)
  • Nudge clips on the timeline by a given value set independently from the grid value (+/- on the keypad)
  • The ability to change the Snap value of the grid (and nudge value lol) via key command (Ctrl + Alt + '+/-' and Win Key + Alt + '+/-')
Granted the implementation of some of these commands would require the ability to place a cursor on the timeline. Maybe they could implement a simple cursor "tool"? Could work out perfectly since Reason's current tools span 'QWERTYU' on the keyboard and it just so happens the next available key would be 'I' (as in 'i', lol).

Would also be nice to see more robust options for fades and crossfades - e.g. adjustable linear, horizontal and vertical 'S' curves for fades, equal power and equal gain for crossfades all at the comp and clip level. The ability to batch fade would also be great too, lol.

Another CRITICAL (in my opinion) feature that is very sorely missing is the ability to automate clip gain (toggling its display on timeline via Shift + Win Key + '-', Ctrl + Click to add a point, Alt + Click to delete a point).

The current work-around I've been using for years now involves using the comp edit view, comping my takes, bouncing those takes into a new comp, then bringing that new comp into a new clip (for the sake of organization), then duplicating that consolidated comp onto multiple comp lanes and using the comp editor's comp lane gain control to adjust a given section of a clip - mind-bogglingly painful! :lol:

Along with a lot of the same old things many of us have been clamouring for (e.g. track markers - some of you would cry if you knew what was possible on that front in Pro Tools, lol), and despite my ignorance as a "programmer" with literal kindergarten-level "skills" (as in I've tried learning C++, but have not gotten far lol), I can't help but feel a lot of this stuff indeed would be, as others have pointed out, easily implementable "low-hanging fruit" for them to tackle.

I suppose time will tell and I nonetheless remain very curious to see what they have cooking! :reason:
Last edited by SynthGang on 04 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

tewoc

04 May 2024

SynthGang wrote:
04 May 2024
I'm very interested to see what the new version brings. I've been pretty happy with Reason 12 but I've done side-by-side comparisons and for whatever Reason 12 has always performed worse than 11 on my machine: higher latency, slower browser, etc. but I'm hopeful they'll continue to iron these sorts of things out.

A lot of people mention either being disappointed/pleased with what few? workflow improvements are being implemented, and I don't have my hopes set high, but since we're on the topic...

MASSIVE +1 to everybody who's mentioned the inclusion of a video player. I really strongly feel this could really help Reason entice a whole segment of DAW users who might not otherwise consider it a viable platform, especially considering its inherent strengths as a sound design tool.

To go with the ability to edit to video, I'd love to see the implementation of a dedicated and searchable key command window à la Pro Tools and DaVinci Resolve (accessible via key commands Shift + Windows Key + K and Ctrl + Alt + K respectively on Windows) that allows key command customization and creation of mapping presets.

Not like there are a ton of key commands in Reason as it is (especially compared to Pro Tools), but having said that, I would love to see a lot more key command functionality being implemented, especially as far as editing goes.

Some commands that I find indispensable as examples (all taken from Pro Tools) and painful to not have implemented as one-button (where applicable) commands in Reason:
  • Trim clip start/end to cursor (A, S respectively)
  • Fade In From Start To Cursor/Fade Out From Cursor To End (D, G)
  • Ctrl + F to crossfade selected abutting clip seams
  • Set loop to timeline selection (O - i.e. whatever you select in timeline, just hit 'O' and loop in/out are set to that selection)
  • Nudge clip gain up/down (Shift + Win Key + Up/Down Arrow)
  • Nudge clips on the timeline by a given value set independently from the grid value (+/- on the keypad)
  • The ability to change the Snap value of the grid (and nudge value lol) via key command (Ctrl + Alt + '+/-' and Win Key + Alt + '+/-')
Granted the implementation of some of these commands would require the ability to place a cursor on the timeline. Maybe they could implement a simple cursor "tool"? Could work out perfectly since Reason's current tools span 'QWERTYU' on the keyboard and it just so happens the next available key would be 'I' (as in 'i', lol).

Would also be nice to see more robust options for fades and crossfades - e.g. adjustable linear, horizontal and vertical 'S' curves for fades, equal power and equal gain for crossfades all at the comp and clip level. The ability to batch fade would also be great too, lol.

Another CRITICAL (in my opinion) feature that is very sorely missing is the ability to automate clip gain (toggling its display on timeline via Shift + Win Key + '-', Ctrl + Click to add a point, Alt + Click to delete a point).

The current work-around I've been using for years now involves using the comp edit view, comping my takes, bouncing those takes into a new comp, then bringing that new comp into a new clip (for the sake of organization), then duplicating that consolidated comp onto multiple comp lanes and using the comp editor's comp lane gain control to adjust a given section of a clip - mind-bogglingly painful! :lol:

Along with a lot of the same old things many of us have been clamouring for (e.g. track markers - some of you would cry if you knew what was possible on that front in Pro Tools, lol), and despite my ignorance as a "programmer" with literal kindergarten-level "skills" (as in I've tried learning C++, but have not gotten far lol), I can't help but feel a lot of this stuff indeed would be, as others have pointed out, easily implementable "low-hanging fruit" for them to tackle.

I suppose time will tell and I nonetheless remain very curious to see what they have cooking! :reason:
The problem is, that the more time goes by and they don't implement even the basic features (markers, folders, video, and so on) more and more people jump ship.

AfterAudio

04 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
04 May 2024
AfterAudio wrote:
03 May 2024
Reason Sequencer + Tools = :puf_smile:

But I'm wondering about this :think:
"We even snuck in some new editing feature here that are quite useful."

and hello everyone, this is my first post on ReasonTalk. :wave:
Hello AfterAudio. Nice to meet you. What comes AfterAudio? Text? Video? Dessert?
Hello luckygreen

What comes AfterAudio? Hmm....... MIDI 2.0 (or Remote 2.0) with support in Reason and a compatible MIDI controller?
That almost sounds like heaven to me :angel:

SynthGang

04 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
04 May 2024

The problem is, that the more time goes by and they don't implement even the basic features (markers, folders, video, and so on) more and more people jump ship.
Yeah I don’t think you’re wrong though I do think there are a lot of core users who are loyal to the platform.

P.S. +1 to track folders btw! Hell… throw in routing folders while we’re at it 😆

tewoc

04 May 2024

Yes ok, but even the most loyal users will become frustrated at some point if the product that they love does not evolve in a certain amount. Spreading trust and motivation for the loyal user base (which give recommendations to new users) of a product is the most important thing for a software company I think. I read around in some forums now and then and a lot of frustration about the update is around there yet. It seems to many of us that they still not adress even the most basic user wishes.

In my opinion the core problem is just a total confuse product management that does not center the DAW since years now. Even if the RRP is a good move in some ways, the product management and marketing strategy feels completely haphazard.

I am a bit sorry for saying it that direct here but you can read everywhere that so many users feel the same way.

SebAudio

04 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
04 May 2024
robussc wrote:
03 May 2024
Happy to see that the Polytone is properly attached to the rack, but I'm a bit worried about secure it is.... ;) Polytone.png
I would have used a torx screw, but other than that looks tightened tightly to me. :thumbs_up:
What about Repley ?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/images/ne ... Front.webp
They’ve reused a lot of Objekt graphics code (buttons, the lower part). I wonder if the rails will really be there in the device or if it’ll be like Objekt where it’s one’s guess to have it not falling off the rack !

Great name btw.

tt_lab

04 May 2024

I like the new design and the return of the floating browser, that was one of my grievances on the new design in reason 8 or something.
But I hope there are more sequuencer tools than what now are in the tools bar. It seems theey just include them in the new edit split window, which is an advance in the good direction but I'd like to see neew and better tools for midi mangling, like strums, random, scale and mode tools etc, as seen in fl, live etc...

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

tt_lab wrote:
04 May 2024
But I hope there are more sequuencer tools than what now are in the tools bar.
There is at last one addition: option to set a velocity ramp is not in the F8 tools window. It is hinted that there are more additions like that.
-------

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
04 May 2024
Yes ok, but even the most loyal users will become frustrated at some point if the product that they love does not evolve in a certain amount.
Ah, that must be the reason why you can get real Jupiter-8 synthesizers for close to nothing, they don't even have wavetables, they clearly haven't evolved... oh, wait... :lol:

Reason in its current version 12 could keep me happy making music for decades to come. There's nothing missing that would prevent me from making music with it. I guess most Jupiter-8 owners are thinking the same :puf_wink:
-------

tewoc

04 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 May 2024
tewoc wrote:
04 May 2024
Yes ok, but even the most loyal users will become frustrated at some point if the product that they love does not evolve in a certain amount.
Ah, that must be the reason why you can get real Jupiter-8 synthesizers for close to nothing, they don't even have wavetables, they clearly haven't evolved... oh, wait... :lol:

Reason in its current version 12 could keep me happy making music for decades to come. There's nothing missing that would prevent me from making music with it. I guess most Jupiter-8 owners are thinking the same :puf_wink:
That doesnt make sense - two other products - one is DAW software and other on is hardware. Please compare e.g. subtractor to this Jupiter 8 - I am with you there and do not need a new evelved subtractor.

aquil

04 May 2024

I would really love to see how Reason 13 looks on windows 10/11. Why only macos screenshots?

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
04 May 2024
That doesnt make sense - two other products - one is DAW software and other on is hardware.
Yep, you clearly didn't get the point :puf_bigsmile:

Both hardware and software are bought by people to actually use when you buy them, with the functionality that is CURRENTLY there. If you buy software for functionality that is not there, but might surface in the future, OR NOT, you are wasting your money. So, I use Reason for what is actually there, why should that change when a new version arrives? I wasn't getting frustrated when I bought version 12, or I wouldn't have bought it. Same will go for R13 :puf_wink:
-------

• Information