Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RobBarnett

07 May 2024

helmutson wrote:
07 May 2024
Logic 11 is announced and shows how far behind Reason is …
Stem separation
AI bass
AI keyboard
Announced so far and Free upgrade for existing users

WaxTrax

07 May 2024

RobBarnett wrote:
07 May 2024
helmutson wrote:
07 May 2024
Stem separation
AI bass
AI keyboard
....and backed by a multi-billion dollar company. That might make just a little bit of difference in resources available.

As an owner of Logic Pro, I am certainly happy about the free upgrade, but I think it's misguided to try to compare RS with Apple in any aspect.

Haku

07 May 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
07 May 2024
RobBarnett wrote:
07 May 2024

Stem separation
AI bass
AI keyboard
....and backed by a multi-billion dollar company. That might make just a little bit of difference in resources available.

As an owner of Logic Pro, I am certainly happy about the free upgrade, but I think it's misguided to try to compare RS with Apple in any aspect.

I agree, and you have to keep buying overpriced Apple Macs and sneaky monthly iCloud subscriptions. It all adds up. Despite all the Logic Pro features, it’s all uninspiring.

Reason is to have fun and play; while you’re doing this, the result is fantastic.

Reason won in their completion with Netflix everytime I think of opening Netflix I open Reason and I never regret :)

Marc64

07 May 2024

ppl make music, features don't.

RobBarnett

07 May 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
07 May 2024
RobBarnett wrote:
07 May 2024

Stem separation
AI bass
AI keyboard

Although both companies sell a competing product, along with Pro Tools, Ableton, Bitwig, Studio One, FL etc....

spacepluk

07 May 2024

RobBarnett wrote:
07 May 2024
WaxTrax wrote:
07 May 2024

Although both companies sell a competing product, along with Pro Tools, Ableton, Bitwig, Studio One, FL etc....
It’s still a bad comparison. For example, does Logic 11 support Windows? All the DAWs in that list do :D

Hard to be competing when you ignore most of the market.

Pepin

07 May 2024

RobBarnett wrote:
07 May 2024
helmutson wrote:
07 May 2024
Stem separation
AI bass
AI keyboard
If RS announced Reason 13 with these features, I guarantee users would be complaining that RS is focusing on AI gimmicks instead of workflow features (sequencer, browser, etc.).

joeyluck

07 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
07 May 2024
RobBarnett wrote:
07 May 2024

It’s still a bad comparison. For example, does Logic 11 support Windows? All the DAWs in that list do :D

Hard to be competing when you ignore most of the market.
Based on various polls I've seen, Logic consistently comes in at #2 depending on the group. Seems to satisfy pros and hobbyists alike. Usually #2 behind Pro Tools or #2 behind FL Studio. Mac doesn't make up the largest percentage of the entire computer market, but it does make up a large percentage of DAW users and studios.

spacepluk

07 May 2024

I haven’t seen actual data but I’m pretty sure most of the market (as in >50%) is running Windows. I use a mac though haha but not logic.

WOO

07 May 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
07 May 2024
I also understand that product managers need both positive and negative feedback to help shape their future directions. My original point was simply giving credit to PMs who develop thick skins and can wade through the constant negativity. Kudos to them because I wouldn't want to have to deal with that constantly as part of my job.
Just give us some of the most requested features. Its not going to stop all of the complaints, but it certainly would lower the noise level.

gnapier

07 May 2024

Fantastic update … so happy the DAW is getting some love! :clap: :clap: :clap:
------------
IMacPro 1,1 | 64GB | 13.6.6 | Logic 10 | Live 12 | Reason 12 | StudioOne 6 | Bitwig 5 | Waveform 13

www.gesslr.com
www.storyaudio.com
http://www.facebook.com/soundwaremedia

PhillipOrdonez

08 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
07 May 2024
RobBarnett wrote:
07 May 2024

Stem separation
AI bass
AI keyboard
If RS announced Reason 13 with these features, I guarantee users would be complaining that RS is focusing on AI gimmicks instead of workflow features (sequencer, browser, etc.).
I would be one of those. However, allegedly they've got that part down already (sequencer and browser) so gimmicks would welcome when everything else is covered, right? And also when it's for free 🤷‍♂️😂

SebAudio

08 May 2024

Ottostrom wrote:
07 May 2024
ambi wrote:
07 May 2024
And let's not forget that we still don't know what the sequencer update includes. They call the sequencer update hefty, so I guess there are still some nice features to be revealed.
Although I appreciate the positivity. If there's one thing I've learned while following the Reason updates year after year, it's that the features mentioned in the announcement are the only things added.
How true

SebAudio

08 May 2024

ambi wrote:
07 May 2024
[ (I wish they kept working on it as there's so much room for great improvements).
How true. Have been from v1 ! Meantime, so many great moments with Reason

vrbi

08 May 2024

joeyluck wrote:
07 May 2024
vrbi wrote:
07 May 2024
Hi,

is there any chance to contact development team while they're working their magic on a new interface and functionality?
For years I have suggestion for them - to make paino roll switchable from vertical to horizontal orientation. This would help tremendously when working with MIDI manually, not only to see better the notes chromatically and logically but also (in my case at least) to see better the rhytmic divisions.
Could I pass it to someone to implement this improver? (as seen on the attached picture) [EDIT: can't attach the jpg for some reason, sorry :shock: ]
You can post feature requests in the Reason Feature Requests forum, keeping in mind that this is an unofficial forum, run by users. While Reason Studios might take a peek at that forum from time to time, there's no guarantee that they'll see it. If you post a feature that other users find would be useful, the forum could perhaps help it to gain traction. In terms of your jpg image, is it too large? You can also host it somewhere else and "insert image" here.

If you want to provide Reason Studios with feedback directly, you can use their Feedback Form.
thank you, posted it there, hopefully it finds its way to the light of a new day to help us making music the better way :)
Attachments
Reason13 fullscreen - piano roll rotated res3.png
suggestion: horizontal piano roll
Reason13 fullscreen - piano roll rotated res3.png (813.43 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Karim
Competition Winner

08 May 2024

If I may chime in from a DJ/producer perspective, Reason is truly unique, and I've been using it since version 1.0 (yeah, I even prefer it over Netflix 😊). The possibilities it offers, even stemming from features of 10 years ago, are still invaluable. From instant access to SSL, to quick sidechaining, and all those "particular" routings you can perform in the rack, Reason was projecting into the future a whopping 24 years ago.

Over the years, though, I've been able to acquire hefty samplers like Kontakt and Omnisphere, and due to the absence of multi-midi channels, it's necessary to open multiple instances of Kontakt for each desired sound. Moreover, when working with a lot of audio and multiple comped vocal tracks in different song versions, dozens of gigabytes on disk are wasted because in Reason, you can't separate audio from the arrangement.

I settle for little, and very often Reason Studios cleverly spreads features over time, perhaps with step versions of Reason (13.1-13.2, and so on). In the past, versions beyond v12 have made huge strides to keep up with the times, adding VST 3 support and M1 processor compatibility at record speed, among other small but strategic additions.

Reason Studios is definitely not Apple, and I trust they'll give us some surprises in the future.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Liimusic

08 May 2024

When will we get the beta? I've been registering for a week and still haven't received anything?

spacepluk

08 May 2024

I think it's still at closed-beta stage? AKA only trusted users that won't leak stuff and that will give useful feedback.

Liimusic

08 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
08 May 2024
I think it's still at closed-beta stage? AKA only trusted users that won't leak stuff and that will give useful feedback.
what do we want to leak? Bugs? :lol:

I mean, they've already presented everything that's in 13.

spacepluk

08 May 2024

HAVE THEY? :mrgreen: hahah

PhillipOrdonez

08 May 2024

Liimusic wrote:
08 May 2024
spacepluk wrote:
08 May 2024
what do we want to leak? Bugs? :lol:

I mean, they've already presented everything that's in 13.

Just a heads up: you won’t be able to talk about it except for in the beta forum once you get in.

selig
RE Developer

08 May 2024

Karim wrote:
08 May 2024
Over the years, though, I've been able to acquire hefty samplers like Kontakt and Omnisphere, and due to the absence of multi-midi channels, it's necessary to open multiple instances of Kontakt for each desired sound. Moreover, when working with a lot of audio and multiple comped vocal tracks in different song versions, dozens of gigabytes on disk are wasted because in Reason, you can't separate audio from the arrangement.
I’ve found little CPU “hit” for using individual instances of Kontakt over one with mult-outs. I prefer the individual approach anyway. In one test during a past thread on the subject, I only saw a 4% increase in individual Kontakt instases vs one instance. So I no longer worry about that issue.

As for audio, it’s easy to optimize song files to get rid of unused audio like when comping a vocal, although I do agree that with the “all in one” approach for audio we could really use a “Versions” approach for exploring different arrangements/mixes etc. (so no need to separate the audio, you separate the arrangement instead). This approach works fantastically for me in LUNA, which also keeps all audio embedded with the song data but allows ‘versions’ to be saved/recalled (which is quicker than closing one file and opening another IMO).
Selig Audio, LLC

Karim
Competition Winner

08 May 2024

Hey there, Selig, big thanks as always for your professionalism and kindness.

Thanks for the "Kontakt trick" for now. If the impact is minor, then I'll open all the instances that my CPU can handle :clap:

Regarding the audio usage, despite optimizing it with the specific function (not sure if it's the one you're referring to), I ended up with 2-gig tracks (containing only vocals) along with MIDI. So, working on radio edits, extended versions, and alternative versions, I ended up with a total of 8 gigs of material across 3-4 tracks. This is something that, for example, in Cubase's media pool or in Live, you'd have only one audio file and perhaps 100 versions of a track with different EQs and non-destructive effects.

I'm so used to the Reason environment that I find it hard to leave. I divide my work into arrangement, mixing, and mastering (sometimes in different stages), but I've been struggling with this embedded audio issue in Reason for years. Needless to say, I've raised this issue along with other users, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

P.S. "Versions" seems to be a feature in Studio One as well.
selig wrote:
08 May 2024
Karim wrote:
08 May 2024
I’ve found little CPU “hit” for using individual instances of Kontakt over one with mult-outs. I prefer the individual approach anyway. In one test during a past thread on the subject, I only saw a 4% increase in individual Kontakt instases vs one instance. So I no longer worry about that issue.

As for audio, it’s easy to optimize song files to get rid of unused audio like when comping a vocal, although I do agree that with the “all in one” approach for audio we could really use a “Versions” approach for exploring different arrangements/mixes etc. (so no need to separate the audio, you separate the arrangement instead). This approach works fantastically for me in LUNA, which also keeps all audio embedded with the song data but allows ‘versions’ to be saved/recalled (which is quicker than closing one file and opening another IMO).
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Creativemind

08 May 2024

ambi wrote:
07 May 2024
helmutson wrote:
07 May 2024

I respect their current work, but I'm simply not impressed any longer.
They call the sequencer update hefty, so I guess there are still some nice features to be revealed.
Hope so. 👍
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

08 May 2024

Reminiscence wrote:
07 May 2024
Wait, don't they stop supporting the previous version once a point update is done? Not like ver.12 fixes are gonna come into play down the line once 13 is released?
I never understand this question I hear a lot. So you want an update to Reason 12.4 when we've moved past 12.4 and on say 13? New features are added in new versions such as if something is added to 12.4 then it's in 12.5. I don't quite understand how you wish them to add something to a version previous than the latest one when that's impossible?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information