Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Eclipxe

02 May 2024

Creativemind wrote:
02 May 2024
Nocturn789 wrote:
02 May 2024
Awesome, finally some workflow improvements!

But, do you think there is hope for linked clips finally?
In terms of workflow, this has always been my biggest creative brake.

For example: Edit the first clip, delete the following 3 clips and then the following 4 clips after a gap, then copy the first clip, paste 3 times, and then paste again 4 times after the gap.
I'm getting tired of this.
You didn't explain this very well but linked clips has been a feature I've wanted for 10 years, it's absolutely baffling anyone would not want this feature and blocks isn't the same thing before anyone states that.

Linked clips is basically having say for example, a 4 chord progression in a clip and then just being able to drag the clip out to copy it (like FL Studio, Reaper etc does) and it just loops depending on the length of the first clip, 4 bars, 8 bars, 16 bars etc and each loop of the clip is the duplicate of the first clip, changing say a chord in that 4 chord progression from say a major to a minor and all the linked clips change too, saves so much time. The same thing with automation too.
YES. I WANT LINKED CLIPS

FrankJaeger

02 May 2024

I'm going to reserve judgement until we have more info...
Though I remain very skeptical, I'm glad that Reason Studios' focus is on the workflow. I couldn't care less about another synthesizer or the like. I really hope they've added some quality of life features for editing audio. For me something as simple as Logic's marquee tool would be an absolute game changer. I'm sorry, but that razor tool just doesn't cut it.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Faastwalker

02 May 2024

sonicbyte wrote:
02 May 2024
The updated sequencer would be able to handle multi-channel midi devices, for better workflow with Kontakt for example?

I mean, each track could play one specific midi channel inside one instance of Kontakt
Amen to this request! Also hoping for this in Reason. To be honest I'm using MIDI less and less these days as I have less external MIDI devices. But I've been using a visual synth App (Imaginando VS Visual Synthesizer) where each layer of the visuals can be controlled by a different MIDI channel. And you can't currently do this from Reason unfortunately.

parma

02 May 2024

I pestered Props to give us a granular sampler (after the introduction of Malstrom). Like 15 years later we got Grain so don't give up hope for your pet feature requests! Mine is MIDI VST routing. I've been asking for it since Players and VST hosting were introduced so I have quite a few years to wait yet

OverneathTheSkyBridg

02 May 2024

EnochLight wrote:
02 May 2024
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
02 May 2024
I looked it up, and it appears that Reason's browser was changed to what it is currently in R9,
Nope - the redesign dumping the original window pop-up browser was in Reason 8, almost a decade ago. The later versions just tweaked it. Reason 13 is sort of a return to that pop-up window, but it's far more modern/useful.

/Mod note to everyone in this thread: I do hope people reserve judgement until they've tried it. So sad to see the doom and gloom posts. We all know they'll continue to add features in point releases anyway, so who knows what Reason 13.1, 13.2, etc will bring? ;)

But, for all those who have had enough and plan to go elsewhere, that's cool too.

My mistake, thanks for the correction. Definitely not advocating doom and gloom or spreading negativity about the new version, just pointing out that the attached browser wasn't always there. Definitely give RS the benefit of the doubt everyone!, and wait for them to demonstrate it on Youtube.

Avith Ortega

03 May 2024

The Tags feature is cool, but I wonder if R13 browser will read Window's Folders Tags? Since I saw how useful it is to have tags in sounds I started to tag my samples of my PC, so many samples are inside folders in my Windows PC that have their own Tags. If R13 can read those tags then i will save a looot of time (and also will integrate very well for any other DAW that can also read those tags attributes).

spacepluk

03 May 2024

Avith Ortega wrote:
03 May 2024
The Tags feature is cool, but I wonder if R13 browser will read Window's Folders Tags? Since I saw how useful it is to have tags in sounds I started to tag my samples of my PC, so many samples are inside folders in my Windows PC that have their own Tags. If R13 can read those tags then i will save a looot of time (and also will integrate very well for any other DAW that can also read those tags attributes).
That would make releasing cross-platform soundsets harder I think.

dusan.cani

03 May 2024

Another example of workflow flaw which is unnoticed or ignored for years:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509926

And solution / fix would be very easy, as discussed in the dedicated thread.

note-editing.jpg
note-editing.jpg (62.91 KiB) Viewed 809 times

WolfZeit

03 May 2024

Can I get a bit of advice please? I’m on R12 with Reason+ and intend to try R13, it looks great. This is my first ever version change. If I try 13 and decide I want to go back to 12, do I also have to reinstall all the sound banks/drum supply/plugins etc? Or can you change and uninstall/reinstall the main program without affecting the extra content? Thanks.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

03 May 2024

WolfZeit wrote:
03 May 2024
Can I get a bit of advice please? I’m on R12 with Reason+ and intend to try R13, it looks great. This is my first ever version change. If I try 13 and decide I want to go back to 12, do I also have to reinstall all the sound banks/drum supply/plugins etc? Or can you change and uninstall/reinstall the main program without affecting the extra content? Thanks.
You can try 13 and keep 12 installed they usually have separated instals for version.

Do not save files on 13 before you're not sure you want to upgrade because you won't be able to open in a previous version.

dusan.cani

03 May 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
03 May 2024

And solution / fix would be very easy, as discussed in the dedicated thread.

This GIF shows how editing of the notes should work:

note-editing-fix.gif
note-editing-fix.gif (87.91 KiB) Viewed 779 times

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

03 May 2024

mind2069 wrote:
02 May 2024
All nice but minor disappointments like the delay, they could of easily add a low cut high cut in the EQ section, so important. typical PH not going all the way, I will still have to add the ProQ3 after the delay.
Ripley has a low cut/high cut filter in the feedback path, you can choose between that or the Band Filter. You can also connect any other device to the feedback path with breakout inputs/outputs. The EQ section has shelving filters for the low and high end to give you even more options (high/low cut can't boost).

ebeneezer

03 May 2024

Updates sound good to me! Tagging presets is a massive win for me. Auditioning endless lists of presets while searching for the sound I'm after has been my biggest headache for years, so glad this has finally arrived. About it being a separate window...I think that's fine? I can't think why I'd want to be able to browse presets while I'm doing anything else e.g. tweaking things in the mixer/rack/sequencer, so that works for me.

The other workflow stuff I'll have to see. Go to admit I never used the Tool Window, so integrating that functionality with the rest of the sequencer makes sense.

Fairly minor new devices but I do like the look of Polytone, I love my 80s/90s pop and feel like a lot of modern synths are aiming at EDM/Trance so this is much more up my street. That "Retro Rider" demo tune sounds great!

WolfZeit

03 May 2024

mcatalao wrote:
03 May 2024
WolfZeit wrote:
03 May 2024
You can try 13 and keep 12 installed they usually have separated instals for version.

Do not save files on 13 before you're not sure you want to upgrade because you won't be able to open in a previous version.
Ah I see, that's good news. Thanks Mcatalao 👍🏻

Kilsane

03 May 2024

I really appreciate deleting the F8 window to integrate it into the sequencer,
but I ask myself the following question will the sequencer have other improvements in addition to those described in the blog.
for example the possibility when you select a chord to be able to make a strum directly,
applied a different color to a note to more easily identify the fundamental when we flip our chords in all directions,
the possibility of locking a lane when we are in multilane mode,
Show scales in pianoroll... ... ...
I'm very excited about the direction Reason 13 is taking and I can't wait to learn more
Last edited by Kilsane on 03 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

03 May 2024

I can't wait to get my hands on it! I am also very happy that Erik took care of Polytone's graphics. His touch is magical and he did not omit the power cable on the back! Polytone sounds divine and looks great. Delightfully late 70s even in the choice of font.

In deisgn, skeuomorphism is making a comeback and Reason is the pinnacle of aesthetically great and functionally effective skeuomorphism.

Also kudos for the release, and for focusing on the sequencer. Even if something the community expected has been left behind, it's still a positive sign of attention to the DAW side of Reason.

I'm very happy, but June is so far away :0

mind2069

03 May 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
03 May 2024
mind2069 wrote:
02 May 2024
All nice but minor disappointments like the delay, they could of easily add a low cut high cut in the EQ section, so important. typical PH not going all the way, I will still have to add the ProQ3 after the delay.
Ripley has a low cut/high cut filter in the feedback path, you can choose between that or the Band Filter. You can also connect any other device to the feedback path with breakout inputs/outputs. The EQ section has shelving filters for the low and high end to give you even more options (high/low cut can't boost).
The thing is I dont want to add another device just for low / high cut, 2 simples knobs that are very easy to implement in the device

I have noticed the feedback filter but I cant seem to view the actual low and high cut off knobs (frequency cut off)

If I select low/high will the freq shift / offset be renamed high / low cut (or pass)

If it's the case then I take back my comment.

Neo

03 May 2024

Kilsane wrote:
02 May 2024
this is really great news
in the ad I did not see if there is the possibility of having the scales in the piano roll (because it is visually practical)
Yes we have Scales & Chords RE though I would appreciate that feature baked into the piano roll myself.
Faastwalker wrote:
02 May 2024
Neo wrote:
02 May 2024
Sweet! Lucky 13🤘

..and kudos the user who got excited enough to get tattooed :D

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6bZtoANOQZ
I would have gone for the offical '13' logo. He may be regretting his choice of font :D

Personal preference of-course, though i would agree.. :D

A Distressor might be needed as well. I'm sure Mattias, Mods and Admins could use it before the release (no pun intended) :lol: :thumbup:
Last edited by Neo on 03 May 2024, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

supersmarter

03 May 2024

mind2069 wrote:
03 May 2024
The thing is I dont want to add another device just for low / high cut, 2 simples knobs that are very easy to implement in the device

I have noticed the feedback filter but I cant seem to view the actual low and high cut off knobs (frequency cut off)

If I select low/high will the freq shift / offset be renamed high / low cut (or pass)

Look you have options to achieve what you want. The fact that these options aren't laid out in the way exactly like you demand is another story. At least you can do EXACTLY what yo asked for.

I also want Reason to be 100% my way with the features 100% my way. 100% of my time. Guess what. Not gonna happen.

Imagine they add every feature request everyone asked for. Total nonsense. But before you say "It is just this tiny change" - move on. Another one bites the dust. And it does not work like that. That small feature means they need to add some developer resources to it.

Another alternative: go learn programming and develop your own RE delay in the way you think it should be. But I hear crickets.

Kilsane

03 May 2024

Neo wrote:
03 May 2024
Kilsane wrote:
02 May 2024
this is really great news
in the ad I did not see if there is the possibility of having the scales in the piano roll (because it is visually practical)
Yes we have Scales & Chords RE though I would appreciate that feature baked into the piano roll myself.

I also use scales & chords and I appreciate it, but it is less practical in certain cases than having the function directly integrated into the pianoroll (I hope that it will come one day and Reason Studios should take an example of what to was made by ableton in version 12 because they did a great job)
Last edited by Kilsane on 03 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

03 May 2024

Bit of a hijack but given workflow is the main topic of this upgrade.. What do you guys think about this workflow idea for the rack? I personally think it is an absolute banger.

viewtopic.php?t=7533788

👆 Mockup on a link a couple posts in to visualize what I mean it would look like if the description isn't good enough.

Neo

03 May 2024

While everyone is sharing thoughts.
Id love to have more colour options. Forgive the fast image edit
Solid State Logic SSL 4056 EG Mixing Console E.png
Solid State Logic SSL 4056 EG Mixing Console E.png (465.35 KiB) Viewed 588 times

Neo

03 May 2024

Kilsane wrote:
03 May 2024
Neo wrote:
03 May 2024

I also use scales & chords and I appreciate it, but it is less practical in certain cases than having the function directly integrated into the pianoroll (I hope that it will come one day and Reason Studios should take an example of what to was made by ableton in version 12 because they did a great job)
Je suis d'accord.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

03 May 2024

mind2069 wrote:
03 May 2024
MattiasHG wrote:
03 May 2024

It switches the entire filter section and you can adjust low/high cut both in the display and by dragging the values.

chimp_spanner

03 May 2024

I sometimes use Live and I never use the scale folding. Not saying that doesn't make it useful but I generally don't like being locked into a scale or mode. I think I'd always choose to have all the notes there and just...use the ones that work. Or be able to go in and out of scale/mode as the song dictates. Again not knocking the concept but certainly not missing it over here.

• Information