Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

04 May 2024

tewoc wrote:
04 May 2024
It seems to many of us that they still not adress even the most basic user wishes.
Unless they implement every known possible feature, it will always feel that way to some group of people.

Tagging is certainly one of the most talked about and requested features. I'd say, it's one of "most basic user wishes". Moving the tools from the Tool Window to the sequencer has been requested for a long time. I'm looking forward to being able to edit while still seeing the arrangement at the same time and having all of those tools at the ready.

MPE and video support are at the top of my wishlist, but I acknowledge that those features aren't needed by as many people.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

04 May 2024

aquil wrote:
04 May 2024
I would really love to see how Reason 13 looks on windows 10/11. Why only macos screenshots?
I guess it may help and I still have shaky graphics in WIN 10 but I've seen talk about NVidia being the problem, I'm no PC tech Spec so I'm left dangling with that. It may be just a simple Nvidia setting I have to un-click but all was fine before R12. It doesn't affect track/song making, thankfully.

Very happy for R13 to be announced, all good really

robussc

04 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 May 2024

Yep, you clearly didn't get the point :puf_bigsmile:

Both hardware and software are bought by people to actually use when you buy them, with the functionality that is CURRENTLY there. If you buy software for functionality that is not there, but might surface in the future, OR NOT, you are wasting your money. So, I use Reason for what is actually there, why should that change when a new version arrives? I wasn't getting frustrated when I bought version 12, or I wouldn't have bought it. Same will go for R13 :puf_wink:
I think we’re showing our age, DAWs make everything so much easier than working with tape that everything else is just gravy.

And I agree that I have more music making my power at my finger tips today than I could have ever imagined! And there is no way I could feel constrained by it.

But I’m also not using it to try and make a living…
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

robussc wrote:
04 May 2024
I think we’re showing our age, DAWs make everything so much easier than working with tape that everything else is just gravy.
Agreed. However, leveraging what you currently have instead of chasing things you don't have (for whatever reason) does have its merits :puf_wink:
robussc wrote:
04 May 2024
And I agree that I have more music making my power at my finger tips today than I could have ever imagined! And there is no way I could feel constrained by it.
Exactly :thumbup:
robussc wrote:
04 May 2024
But I’m also not using it to try and make a living…
OK. But if you try and make a living with anything, it is wise to use the tools that fit the job, instead of picking something (although nice and all) that doesn't fit the job, but might somewhere in the (unsure) future. It means you won't be making a living today. There is an obvious reason why many people use ProTools every day while hating it with a vengeance, because they are making a living with it.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

robussc

04 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 May 2024
OK. But if you try and make a living with anything, it is wise to use the tools that fit the job, instead of picking something (although nice and all) that doesn't fit the job, but might somewhere in the (unsure) future. It means you won't be making a living today. There is an obvious reason why many people use ProTools every day while hating it with a vengeance, because they are making a living with it.
Excellent point! ProTools (almost autocorrected to proctologist!) makes my brain hurt but is the industry standard.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Reminiscence

04 May 2024

Art is the proper task of life, and not arguing about which Piano sounds better, but also which Piano does not exist. Requesting new features en masse, won't bring RS to create it. They only do what they can, and want. So I agree with Crimson, but also disagree with his approach, because we don't have Banjo's and Ukilele's lined up for our rack. ;)

Reminiscence

04 May 2024

Here's some pepper: we are doing them a favour by requesting new features, which they may not have known or thought about, also using their software because it is what it is, makes no sense, because why buy something you don't want to use? Jumping ship? Already did.

Reminiscence

04 May 2024

If you love making music, which even a 5 year old can do, then it doesn't matter if you use a broken glass or one that is whole.

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

Reminiscence wrote:
04 May 2024
So I agree with Crimson, but also disagree with his approach, because we don't have Banjo's and Ukilele's lined up for our rack. ;)
Your disagreement actually adds to my point :puf_bigsmile: I'm using only REs and no VST plugins, with one exception, being an electric guitar VST (AAS Strum GS-2) because a good physical modelled electric guitar is missing in Reason. But, and again to my point, I would love to see such an instrument within the Reason eco-system, but I use what is available right now. I also understand the obvious, that most Reason users don't use/want/need physical modelled e-guitars, so that's not happening soon either :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

tewoc

04 May 2024

" Unless they implement every known possible feature, it will always feel that way to some group of people."

Thats just not true.

I am not talking about the most advanced industry features that are missing, I am talking about some "early DAW days" quality of life features that would open up a whole new customer base for RS. Track folders / more mixer groups for large projects -> audio professionels and users who work with big projects. Video sync -> film studios and art. Better remote midi support -> Hardware companies that talk positive about your software.

... and so on. It feels just so unlogic that RS beaves like this with some basic quality of life features. So, it's not that we want some ultra modern ultra advanced special features like xyz DAW. Its just some BASIC stuff and there would be a thousands more of satisfied customers more if they would just implement it finally.
Last edited by tewoc on 04 May 2024, edited 2 times in total.

Reminiscence

04 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 May 2024
Reminiscence wrote:
04 May 2024
So I agree with Crimson, but also disagree with his approach, because we don't have Banjo's and Ukilele's lined up for our rack. ;)
Your disagreement actually adds to my point :puf_bigsmile: I'm using only REs and no VST plugins, with one exception, being an electric guitar VST (AAS Strum GS-2) because a good physical modelled electric guitar is missing in Reason. But, and again to my point, I would love to see such an instrument within the Reason eco-system, but I use what is available right now. I also understand the obvious, that most Reason users don't use/want/need physical modelled e-guitars, so that's not happening soon either :lol:
You're welcome. :geek:

zoidkirb

04 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 May 2024
tt_lab wrote:
04 May 2024
But I hope there are more sequuencer tools than what now are in the tools bar.
There is at last one addition: option to set a velocity ramp is not in the F8 tools window. It is hinted that there are more additions like that.
Nicely spotted! That's the one feature i constantly wish for that i never see requested so I'm super glad it's coming.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 May 2024
Reminiscence wrote:
04 May 2024
Hope there’s some new harpsichord patches.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

MrFigg wrote:
04 May 2024
Hope there’s some new harpsichord patches.
So, you still haven't bought that thing? :lol:
-------

selig
RE Developer

04 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
03 May 2024
I’m surprised at the amount people triggered by the new browser being in a separate window… I want the browser to help me find my patches quickly so I can close it as soon as possible. With tags and full keyboard control it sounds like it will do the job much better than the current one.

Also having the devices in a separate panel sounds like a good thing. Right now if you drag a device it will go into the patch browser and going back resets the scroll position which isn’t great if you have a lot of plugins.
Plus we get back the old behavior of being able to browse through multiple patches, change our mind and then just hit "cancel" to go back to the original patch/setting (including any modifications made but not previously saved).
Selig Audio, LLC

Liimusic

04 May 2024

I still wonder why the pianoroll doesn't get a graphic refresher. How can they make such beautiful racks but hesitate to make the piano roll a little prettier?
Attachments
IMG_9746.jpeg
IMG_9746.jpeg (382.87 KiB) Viewed 921 times

Pepin

04 May 2024

selig wrote:
04 May 2024
Plus we get back the old behavior of being able to browse through multiple patches, change our mind and then just hit "cancel" to go back to the original patch/setting (including any modifications made but not previously saved).
I wouldn't necessarily count on this. The pre-R8 browser was a modal window that took over the UI for the purpose of loading a single file on a pre-defined device. The new browser supports drag and drop, so it's not truly modal. You can presumably drag samples and presets to multiple instruments for instance. The browser can be invoked on demand, not necessarily by clicking a "browse" icon on a device. I wouldn't be surprised if the behavior matches the current UI with each action writing to the undo history.

Though at the very least, it would be nice if consecutive loading of presets on the same device was combined into one Undo step, but we'll just have to wait and see.

To be clear, I still think the new browser looks like an improvement (keyboard control, tagging, screen real estate).

Creativemind

04 May 2024

Crumbfort wrote:
03 May 2024
spacepluk wrote:
03 May 2024

It's funny while I had Bitwig they didn't release anything interesting, then my plan expired and I had to pay again to get some minor stuff so I just sold it. I really dislike that licensing model, I'd rather have less releases when they are ready and with a pricing structure that makes sense (ie: pay for major releases).
I get ya! Different strokes and all that. I'm actually fine with the Bitwig pricing model, because I love the updates and additions, and they just keep coming.
Yeah, some people like paying loads of money whilst waiting 9 gazillion years for anything to happen, it's the "Reason till I die" attitude lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Mataya

04 May 2024

Liimusic wrote:
04 May 2024
I still wonder why the pianoroll doesn't get a graphic refresher. How can they make such beautiful racks but hesitate to make the piano roll a little prettier?
Because they lost the original code and for years now, they can only move things around, change colors and fonts maybe and obviously add things, but they can't change things in the original code.
I'm ok with just adding thing, so please add vst midi out.

Tx
M

ChulaCoola

04 May 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
03 May 2024
Another example of workflow flaw which is unnoticed or ignored for years:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509926

And solution / fix would be very easy, as discussed in the dedicated thread.

note-editing.jpg

dusan.cani - regarding the graphic accessing the second note behind the 1st not: you can access all of them by simply drawing a square around them to drag or change them.
Last edited by ChulaCoola on 04 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

Liimusic

04 May 2024

Mataya wrote:
04 May 2024
Liimusic wrote:
04 May 2024
Because they lost the original code and for years now, they can only move things around, change colors and fonts maybe and obviously add things, but they can't change things in the original code.
I'm ok with just adding thing, so please add vst midi out.

Tx
M
are this facts? :lol:
how can they lose something when its written in the software?

crimsonwarlock

04 May 2024

Liimusic wrote:
04 May 2024
are this facts? :lol:
My ReasonTalk BS-level meter won't work anymore because its needle is completely bent from hitting over-scale all the time :puf_bigsmile:
-------

Mataya

04 May 2024

I remember how they had an option in reason to save a song as "normal" or as "published" song...you couldn't do much on a published song. Seems like someone at prop's saved a code as "published" and now they can only do so much with it. I don't know man.

M

Mataya

04 May 2024

If you wonder why I need a vst midi out so bad ... because I want my Modalics Beat Scholar sequencer to drive my XLN Audio XO samples. :puf_bigsmile:

M

selig
RE Developer

04 May 2024

Mataya wrote:
04 May 2024
I remember how they had an option in reason to save a song as "normal" or as "published" song...you couldn't do much on a published song. Seems like someone at prop's saved a code as "published" and now they can only do so much with it. I don't know man.

M
There is no such thing as saving code as "published", plus there is no relation between a feature from Reason and the software used to write the code for Reason.

You are correct on your last point. Moving on…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information