Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
_andreypetr_

05 May 2024

RobBarnett wrote:
04 May 2024
"Europa gets a power up, spectral filter and more modulation options"
"updates to Grain"
"comp lanes"
LoL I always knew he is an neutral network

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 May 2024

Seems like a pretty good upgrade to me. :thumbs_up: Not sure these particular new features are enough to entice me personally though, but that doesn't mean it's a bad upgrade. Ripley Space Delay looks pretty cool. Still on R11 and I've realized I'm pretty content with what I have. I'll definitely look at streams/videos during the release to see if any of the new workflow changes seems interesting though. And I'll also keep an eye on comments here at RT. Hope this release will be smoother that R12 was.

friday

05 May 2024

ambi wrote:
02 May 2024
Looks all good so far. I'm also a bit sceptical about the new browser but let's better not complain too early.

I have a suggestion though:
Add a favorites tab to the device selection window so that you can find you most used devices easier.
Yes, please keep the ability to group/favorite RE and VST, I use this extensively with the current browser.

I'm also very excited about all the new features. For me, it feels like a great direction for Reason Standalone.

I have just one question, though I'm apprehensive about the answer. Can I import or migrate my old favorites to the new browser? I've invested so much time organizing all my samples in the Browser Favorites, it would be painful to lose them.

thotbott

05 May 2024

re what is being talked about, and more not talked about. Its an ok upgrade, but the long list of basic stuff that is needed for reason to be level with basic functions of other daw is growing every year. It would be nice to get a clear response on if these are ever going to be implemented?
the likes of:
Track folders
Clip editing/fx
saving audio to folders and not the project file
Mpe support
ara support
multi out instruments
quad/surround etc
midi effects
Different dither options
32 bit fp bounce
Track markers, regions etc
any form of video support
smpte timecodes
different file formats other than wav/mp3

and this is just off the top of my head.
Its all well and good adding a new shiny effect/synth, rearranging the sequencer view etc, but, can we get a comment from anyone within about the functions wishlisted for more than a decade now?

tewoc

05 May 2024

thotbott wrote:
05 May 2024
re what is being talked about, and more not talked about. Its an ok upgrade, but the long list of basic stuff that is needed for reason to be level with basic functions of other daw is growing every year. It would be nice to get a clear response on if these are ever going to be implemented?
the likes of:
Track folders
Clip editing/fx
Mpe support
ara support
multi out instruments
quad/surround etc
midi effects
Different dither options
32 bit fp bounce
smpte timecodes

Its all well and good adding a new shiny effect/synth, rearranging the sequencer view etc, but, can we get a comment from anyone within about the functions wishlisted for more than a decade now?
Exactly, so *please* CEO and Managers, can we get some info if those important and basic features are planned?

Please. :thumbup:

Eclipxe

05 May 2024

thotbott wrote:
05 May 2024
the likes of:
Track folders
Clip editing/fx
Mpe support
ara support
multi out instruments
quad/surround etc
midi effects
Different dither options
32 bit fp bounce
smpte timecodes

The only thing on your list I’d want is midi effects. Don’t care about any others.

Oh and I really want linked or alias clips. Please RE.

Fraxis

05 May 2024

_andreypetr_ wrote:
05 May 2024
RobBarnett wrote:
04 May 2024
"Europa gets a power up, spectral filter and more modulation options"
"updates to Grain"
"comp lanes"
I'm a bit concerned now, as I started following his updates a few months ago and thought he seemed very switched-on. I now worry that he actually has no idea what he' talking about and think I probably shouldn't put too much trust any other news from him. I called him out in the videos' comments but he hasn't responded so far. All he had to do was read the 'press release' articles before recording that section of the video, so why he went of-script at all and where he got this from is a bit baffling.

Loque

05 May 2024

Fraxis wrote:
05 May 2024
_andreypetr_ wrote:
05 May 2024

I'm a bit concerned now, as I started following his updates a few months ago and thought he seemed very switched-on. I now worry that he actually has no idea what he' talking about and think I probably shouldn't put too much trust any other news from him. I called him out in the videos' comments but he hasn't responded so far. All he had to do was read the 'press release' articles before recording that section of the video, so why he went of-script at all and where he got this from is a bit baffling.
Probably AI generated news. Not verified. I am just guessing... What he talked about Reason "news" was nonsens. Regarding the other stuff i have no idea, but didnt listened/looked either....
Reason12, Win10

robotfunk

05 May 2024

Maybe a really exotic feature request, but will we at some point be able to type in values?

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 May 2024

parma wrote:
04 May 2024
jaeproduced wrote:
04 May 2024
Some of us probably shouldn't be getting to excited because we don't even know what the minimum requirements are to even update to Reason 13 are going to be. I'm still running 10.15.7 Catalina on a 2012 Macbook Pro which I don't intend on upgrading anytime soon. So just think about that before some of you get to excited....Just a heads up
Yeah, that's why I asked Matthias for the system requirements. I'm guessing my 10.13 2012 Mac Pro is going to be left behind. I guess I can't be too mad - that's a pretty good run. But man, I have everything the way I like it and I don't really want to upgrade. I know, nobody is forcing me to...
Requirements are unlikely to change.

There could be a 5-10% increase in the recommended CPU (but CPU usage is likely the same or less).

mrzplinter

05 May 2024

slic wrote:
02 May 2024
MPE support?
yes, please :)

PhillipOrdonez

05 May 2024

robotfunk wrote:
05 May 2024
Maybe a really exotic feature request, but will we at some point be able to type in values?
Would be great. Fwiw we already can sometimes from the sequencer 🤷‍♂️

Would also be great if the values from all devices were in Hz, dB and not in 0-127 please and thank you 😂 and that they were consistent and not stepped in order to be able to make changes in small increments, or at least in rounded up values for precise nerd stuff

wendylou

05 May 2024

Looks great all around! :puf_smile: I upgraded to Reason 12 on release in 2021. Any ballpark price for Reason 13?

<Webmaster> Love the FX on/off button option on your webpage for Ripley Space Delay! <Webmaster />
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

NoShanksImFine

05 May 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
02 May 2024
Noise wrote:
02 May 2024
Can we create new tags for VST's or Devices ?
That's currently not in place, no. Device categories are read directly from the VST3 and REs have been categorized by us. In the near future, RE developers can categorize their own devices and Reason will read those straight from the RE file.
As aside question - does that mean no tags possible for VST2 plugins?

Personally, this is really bad news from how I like to use a tagging system. Ableton Live 12 just implemented this beautifully, and has made it so much easier for me to find what I need and for the software to get out of the way when I need it to.

Say I want a delay. I can tag all kinds of things that have a delay function that might not necessarily be read as that from the manufacturer. For example, using the delay from an amp sim like Line 6 Helix Native, or a Neural DSP plugin.

The Reason Rack Plugin is the perfect example of this actually. I have it tagged as so many things for all that it can do, and unfortunately I'm supposed to recall that "oh yeah, it does have an additive synth" when I filter "Synth---> Additive" in my tags when finding a category

Going back to Reason for this would be really ideal so that the RV7000 could be right next to my Valhalla and Soundtoys plugins when I filter for reverbs, for example.

So if I'm still stuck in the workflow that I like due to this implementation of tagging, that means that using another program with the RRP would still be best for me, unfortunately.

Which means....any and all sequencer updates are a moot point as well.

So, we're looking at $200 for a synth, a delay, and a handful of tools. That's a tall ask, IMO.

Creativemind

06 May 2024

Fraxis wrote:
05 May 2024
_andreypetr_ wrote:
05 May 2024

What's his channel on You Tube called as non of the linked video's here work now, he's deleted the video's. Tried searching on You Tube, "Rob Barnett Reason" and nothing.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

moofi

06 May 2024

I´m looking forward to the update. Especially the devices sound sweet. And the sequencer dual view comes along pretty handy, even though I would have imagined a view that allows to compare several selected tracks (potentially all tracks) either like in multilane view just like within the current edit view and/or beneath each other (the possibility of having both viewing options would be preferrable anyway). Currently all non-selected tracks are being displayed in the reduced clip view where all of the actual MIDI notes are being "compressed" into a clip´s height, making it not really possible to compare several MIDI lanes of separate tracks. The feature would also be pleasant for aligning audio track slice markers.

Though I got used to the leftsided browser implementation after the windowed one, a new space freeing browser combining previous functionality (windowed) along drag and drop functionality of the newer one plus floating capabilities (hopefully along position memory) is welcomed. Feels potentially like best of both worlds.
Only thing I´m concerned about is the apparent lack of the favourite section for devices where I could create custom device categories and sub-categories like shown here: viewtopic.php?p=595326#p595326 Btw these favourite setups could be recallable after a new installation because they are quite some work to setup in the first place (being to able to copy/replace external files or simply exporting/importing settings comes to mind).

I personally am wondering as well why at least seemingly easy stuff like track markers and track folders (as well in the SSL-mixer) aren´t simply implemented. Little effort with great effect I feel.

And I would find foldable rackcolums like suggested here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7524823&hilit=foldable very helpful as well. Even though that´s a little more effort, it could still be done fairly easily I at least assume while helping a lot.

Overall I can still see a lot of improvement possible, yet I like the update and the direction it is going.

PhillipOrdonez

06 May 2024

Creativemind wrote:
06 May 2024
Fraxis wrote:
05 May 2024

What's his channel on You Tube called as non of the linked video's here work now, he's deleted the video's. Tried searching on You Tube, "Rob Barnett Reason" and nothing.
Looked it up for you. They reuploaded it. You'd think they did so because they realized the mistake? No. Still makes no sense. 😂

tomusurp

06 May 2024

Doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade at first glance. I’ve never had an issue with the current browser. The sequencer edit panel is like the one in Logic which I actually don’t like because I always end up resizing the bottom edit panel to full view for easier view, so double-clicking on a clip in the current sequencer to access full piano roll is perfect for me.

The sidechain module is cool but I already have enough tools for that, especially shaperbox is superior, BUT if it has the ability to shape your own curves and a mixdown knob then I’ll use it.

At this point I’m very happy with R12. I think it’s the best version so far. Super quick and stable, impeccable sample manulation and time stretch, best pitch correction and mixing access in the DAW world right now. Just a joy making music overall. Only thing if I had to add something useful would the ability to highlight a region in sequencer for looping. That and maybe make the piano roll flow similar to FL in some ways
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

Ronn

06 May 2024

Hello :-)

Reason-User since V1.

I'm waiting so long for Midi-Routing:

- Scaler 2 to Synth (VST ...)
- External sidechain with Shaperbox
- Stepic and other ARPs/SEQs to Synths (VSTs ...)
- Melody Sauce and other mididevices to synth ...

Any hope?

Greetings
Ronn

tt_lab

06 May 2024

Ronn wrote:
06 May 2024

Reason-User since V1.

Any hope?

Greetings
Ronn
That would be sweet. Waiting for this feature too.

Neo

06 May 2024

Ronn wrote:
06 May 2024

Reason-User since V1.

Any hope?

Greetings
Ronn
Could be running an old version?
SB3 v3.5.1
Global Audio / MIDI Trigger working.
-
https://www.cableguys.com/midi-trigger- ... ead-reason
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

rorystorm

06 May 2024

NoShanksImFine wrote:
05 May 2024
MattiasHG wrote:
02 May 2024

That's currently not in place, no. Device categories are read directly from the VST3 and REs have been categorized by us. In the near future, RE developers can categorize their own devices and Reason will read those straight from the RE file.
As aside question - does that mean no tags possible for VST2 plugins?

Personally, this is really bad news from how I like to use a tagging system. Ableton Live 12 just implemented this beautifully, and has made it so much easier for me to find what I need and for the software to get out of the way when I need it to.

Say I want a delay. I can tag all kinds of things that have a delay function that might not necessarily be read as that from the manufacturer. For example, using the delay from an amp sim like Line 6 Helix Native, or a Neural DSP plugin.

The Reason Rack Plugin is the perfect example of this actually. I have it tagged as so many things for all that it can do, and unfortunately I'm supposed to recall that "oh yeah, it does have an additive synth" when I filter "Synth---> Additive" in my tags when finding a category

Going back to Reason for this would be really ideal so that the RV7000 could be right next to my Valhalla and Soundtoys plugins when I filter for reverbs, for example.

So if I'm still stuck in the workflow that I like due to this implementation of tagging, that means that using another program with the RRP would still be best for me, unfortunately.

Which means....any and all sequencer updates are a moot point as well.

So, we're looking at $200 for a synth, a delay, and a handful of tools. That's a tall ask, IMO.
well, I don't know if you'd see this as a solution or not, but what I do is have a whole bunch of Favourite folders, one for each kind of effect - one for delay, one for compression, one for reverb, one for amp sims, etc - and for me that actually works better than tagging them would. And so, as you say, I have RV7000 next to Valhalla and it's actually really helpful because it means I don't have to perform any searches, everything is just there. It takes about ten minutes to set up and any time you get a new RE or VST you just add it to the relevant folder/s. And you can move devices around in the Favourites list so you can put the ones you use the most near the top. What is really good is that you can see all the delays you have, for example, in one place which makes it easier to switch things up and not use the same device again and again out of habit.

I picked this up off an old RT thread a few years ago so thanks to whoever wrote it back in the day..... Hopefully the whole favouriting thing works the same way with the new browser.....

electrofux

06 May 2024

This whole reorganisation of windows can have a big impact on workflow because atm the whole process of editing clips and arranging is kinda scuffed on many levels - the friggin zoom function alone is driving me nuts and cost me so much time when it resets weirdly when windows are closed.
Really looking forward to a video showcasing that.
However while this adresses workflow on an organisational level i think people also expect some stuff of the endless list of functional workflow items.
But i think with the tool window now becoming a permanent area in the clip editing panel this paves the way for alot easier adding of new functions. And i can even see how now a clip launcher could be integrated - here is hoping. If everything wouldnt just take so long.

Creativemind

06 May 2024

This is a picture I took of what I was talking about with Reaper, not just shortening / lengthening notes but you can lengthen the beginning of a note after at the same time as shortening the end of a note, the pic shows it on an item (clip) here but works on notes in the midi editor too if they're side by side with no gaps.

Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (35.01 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Creativemind wrote:
03 May 2024
dusan.cani wrote:
03 May 2024
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 May 2024

I hope these new changes doesn't affect the way favorite lists work. Does anyone who has a better grasp of this know if it will?
I use my favorite lists to find my devices all the time. I never scroll down the regular instruments/effects/utilities lists, because a lot of them I never use.
To be honest I don't think I will use the tags search function all that much if I upgrade. I mostly think in terms of devices when I reach for instruments and effects.

• Information