Seeking solutions from fellow beatmakers

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
melaniewalker

09 May 2024

Hello and nice to be here. I make hip hop beats with samples. I use NN-19's for my main samples then Kong and Redrum for individual drum samples. Recently my NN-19's have been jiggling the pitch bend ever so slightly, so my main samples slow down as they play. sometimes it does this other times it does not, and the problem moves from one NN-19 to another as the song is playing. Has anyone encountered this problem before, if so, what to do? Any other suggestions are also welcome. Thank you.

selig
RE Developer

09 May 2024

9 times out of 10 when someone describes a control "moving on its own" in any way, it's because of a janky hardware controller as the culprit, sending out data on its own. If you don't have any hardware connected, it could be accidentally recorded (check the track), otherwise I got nothing…

If you were recording when this happened, you can end up with pitch bend, modulation wheel, or expression pedal data accidentally affecting the sound. It's easy to find and delete, but what is more common is for it to happen on playback to the current device in focus (the one that will play if you hit a key/pad on your controller. The quick fix is to move the offending control back and forth ("exercise" it) and it should clear.
You can use specific products to clean the control if the problem persists:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

09 May 2024

Yep, just had this problem with my LaunchKey Mk1. The mod wheel would not stay at 0, it would bounce back to about value 20 making every patch that had modulation sound a bit weird. Got a replacement (thanks Focusrite!) and actually managed to install it and now it's back to normal (a bit sad as I wanted an excuse to upgrade...lol)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 May 2024

In the meantime, assign the janky knob/dial/fader to something else so that it's not captured by the instrument you're playing/recording with.

huggermugger

09 May 2024

Just filter out the pitch bend info...Oh wait, it's Reason you're talking about. They're working on Reason's MIDI integration, but since MIDI is so new (it's only been around for 40 years), it might take a while. R17 maybe?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 12.34.44 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 12.34.44 PM.png (143.01 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 09 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 May 2024

huggermugger wrote:
09 May 2024
Just filter out the pitch bend info...Oh wait, it's Reason you're talking about. They're working on Reason's MIDI integration, but since MIDI is so new, it might take a while. R17 maybe?
You could use LoopBE and use a software MIDI filter.

crimsonwarlock

09 May 2024

huggermugger wrote:
09 May 2024
Just filter out the pitch bend info...Oh wait, it's Reason you're talking about. They're working on Reason's MIDI integration, but since MIDI is so new (it's only been around for 40 years), it might take a while. R17 maybe?
I have two Roland A-880 MIDI patch bays, that I got in the eighties, that can filter that with no problem. They even have separate filter options for channel-pressure and poly-pressure.... in the eighties :o

There's one on Reverb for 116 euros :thumbup: Mine are both in mint condition, perfectly working, and definitely NOT for sale :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information