I. Hate. Buying. And. Installing. VST.

Discuss VST stuff here!
Oquasec

02 May 2017

They don't necessarily ruin the workflow, but honestly there's so many reason plugs that do the same thing [or more]
And all of them have some documentation or tutorials, ranging from as low as 9 bucks to 200$.
[There's 9-20$ plugs in there that compare to massive]

And then there's 24+ freebies, as well as thousands of refills & utilities that more than make up for the lack of vst support without rewire/emi.
With that being said, omnisphere and zebra 2 are coming back as I deem those fit for a modular initiation xD
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

O1B

02 May 2017

Fab Filter, Melda Dynamics, Voxengo(imo)
Roger Nichols - Easy.

Blue cat Audio, Nugen - Pain in the Ask.

But worth it!

Skullture

02 May 2017

I think by implementing VST, Props is like: "told you so", because of the ease of workflow that is the rack extension format. It's super easy, and there is no messing around with installing. It all syncs neatly. But I suppose that's not something a lot of people care about.

Oquasec

02 May 2017

Adding vst support just made rack extension that much sweeter by comparison.
While still giving access to a format that's been around forever.
Producer/Programmer.

stephensmattlee

02 May 2017

How is Reason 9.5 handling Waves plugins? I know waves have their "waveshell" for their plugins which in the past has led to problems loading on certain Daws.
I personally don't own any of the Waves stuff but with all the recent sales I'm thinking of grabbing a few of the abbey road plugins and possibly one of the bundles to use in Reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumble

02 May 2017

stephensmattlee wrote:How is Reason 9.5 handling Waves plugins? I know waves have their "waveshell" for their plugins which in the past has led to problems loading on certain Daws.
I personally don't own any of the Waves stuff but with all the recent sales I'm thinking of grabbing a few of the abbey road plugins and possibly one of the bundles to use in Reason

Want to know this too. Thinking about getting on the Waves wagon, but the shell thingy sounds like it might be as intrusive as iLok.

EnochLight

02 May 2017

Skullture wrote:I think by implementing VST, Props is like: "told you so", because of the ease of workflow that is the rack extension format. It's super easy, and there is no messing around with installing. It all syncs neatly. But I suppose that's not something a lot of people care about.
Agreed, though I think most Reasoners who never or rarely used VST will feel this way, but peeps who have been using VST for years and dealing with their various installation and licensing activation snafus will feel it's just another day in a new DAW.

Admittedly, this was my first Kontakt library purchase. That said, I just downloaded the demo for XLN Audio's RC-20 plugin, and it was pretty irritating, too (though nowhere near as bad as installing Output Audio stuff is)! :mrgreen:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 May 2017

stephensmattlee wrote:How is Reason 9.5 handling Waves plugins? I know waves have their "waveshell" for their plugins which in the past has led to problems loading on certain Daws.

DAWs don't need to know about WaveShell.

I wouldn't worry about compatibility unless it involves VSTs with midi out, is VST 3 (or 32 bit) or until someone says there's a problem, otherwise assume it will work.

Marco Raaphorst

02 May 2017

the free stuff is easy to install but the expensive stuff which comes with an installer that needs to be updated many times often sucks big time

stephensmattlee

02 May 2017

Tumble wrote:

Want to know this too. Thinking about getting on the Waves wagon, but the shell thingy sounds like it might be as intrusive as iLok.
To be honest I don't mind the ilok, use one alongside the Slate Digital plugins and when there's updates and new plugins available you just use Gobbler to update them, is quite easy and similar to the Rack Extensions when it automatically updates and syncs. Only draw back is sacrificing yet another USB port [emoji28]

ezelkow1

02 May 2017

well its not completely without its faults. I just had an issue 2 days ago with ilok, due to idiot programming. Alot of devs like to lock their licenses based on some internal windows ID. However this ID can be randomly changed if for example you swap ethernet ports on a dual ethernet mobo. There are other things that can change it as well completely out of a users control, apparently my ID changed a month ago and Im not exactly sure why. I recently just found out that 28 of my ilok licenses are now locked to my old 'ID' even though its the same damn computer.

i still have to try swapping back to my old ethernet port but I doubt I will be able to get the same pc id back, so those licenses are effectively lost unless I contact every single manufacturer and ask them to re-issue me another license (I emailed ilok and that was their response). I believe I have 2 for alot of them so its not a huge deal, but its things like this why I avoided ilok in the past, I mainly just use it for some freebies or super cheap deals though.

Its not the first time Ive seen this either. Using some value that ends up based on networking hardware is fairly common, had an issue with FAW circle because anytime you changed your network connection it would become unauthorized. In this day when people can easily be swapping from ethernet to wifi to a new wifi dongle to bluetooth for internet, basing anything on networking is asinine

WongoTheSane

02 May 2017

Timeline:

2001 -> Apr. 27, 2017:
"We want VSTs in Reason OMG why doesn't Reason support VSTs we're gonna die without VSTs it's not a real daw if it doesn't have VSTs I have lots of VSTs I wanna use in Reason VSTs have a better sound"

Apr. 28, 2017:
"Oh VSTs in Reason at last lemme check"

Apr. 29, 2017:
"WTF guys what's with this awful stuff it's ugly and expensive and so hard to install please don't change Reason VSTs suck big time REs are sooo much better and who asked for VSTs anyway I'm gonna downgrade to Rebirth"

PH right now:
dr evil.png
dr evil.png (740.61 KiB) Viewed 2874 times

Ostermilk

02 May 2017

It's a case of some and some.

I must admit to being put off by some things just because of the hoops required to jump through and go for an alternative if there is one. So avoid some headaches before I even start.

What gets me is some of the bigger vendors (e.g UAD, Waves) just throw everything all over your system and expect you to dump what you don't need i.e the other half dozen formats your particular system doesn't use, the installers and backups of those installers!!!

I'm not sure how big the UAD installer is these days as I sold my DSP card awhile back but that thing used to uncompress 5 Gb of stuff on my OS drive, installing was the easy part getting rid of the unrequired chit was the problem. 5Gb lol I only had 20 plugins. Waves are not so bad with Waves Central I just install it when I want to add a plugin and remove it when I'm done (along with the countless other uneeded formats as well).

The worst though in my book are IK I swear I'll never buy a thing from them again. they don't just install your plug-ins they install an entire eCommerce suite on your machine. Who needs it?

Just give me a double-click installer where I can choose the formats I want and specify where to put them along with a license key and I'm happy and more likely to shop with you again.
Last edited by Ostermilk on 02 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

The_G

02 May 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
I don't have 9.5 though. How are VST's handling their patches in 9.5? Are they automatically going to and remembering their correct default locations? Are you having to spend time browsing to the correct location every time you open them?
If you open them from the VST itself (which pops open with a single click), then the patches are in the same place they are when you use another DAW.

But if you try to open patches directly from the VST rack unit (i.e. without opening the VST itself), then it's a problem.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

stratatonic

02 May 2017

Ostermilk wrote:The worst though in my book are IK I swear I'll never buy a thing from them again. they don't just install your plug-ins they install an entire eCommerce suite on your machine. Who needs it?
IK - my worst nightmare for authorizing! I have damn near stroked out with the stress of getting their shit to work. A couple of completely wasted afternoons. I am many updates behind as I just don't want to deal with the latest and greatest from them. It's like everytime I try to log in, my password is not recognized, so they have to email me a new one again. BS. The Line 6 Monkey business was idiotic around the Record/Reason era, but it seems to be ok now.

I am mostly in the box when I use Logic - their stock plugs are very good, so I just have a handful of other plugins. I'm kinda boring that way.

ezelkow1

02 May 2017

another +1 to avoiding IK completely. I was first turned off by their obnoxious point schemes (not sure if they even still do that) where you would get points you seemingly couldnt redeem on a single thing unless it was ampsim model #234 no one cared about. Then their whole ecommerce installation crap. Luckily annoying vst installs are fairly few and far between. Even my own previous rant on ilok was more of a one off circumstance, actual installation is a piece of cake. Thankfully alot of vendors are also catching on like NI with their access app making installs and updates really easy, cakewalk also followed suit with their similar app

Oquasec

02 May 2017

Sticking to rack extensions because they have better synchronization, and integration without all this hassle.
Producer/Programmer.

gak

03 May 2017

Well, now you can have 450 vst's along with owning every single RE already.

Ilok operators are standing by, and companies like plugin alliance will have you eating out of the palm of their hands.

JRR Shop, plugin boutique, their stock is going to split :lol:

Oquasec

03 May 2017

Codemeter or death. :thumbs_up:
Producer/Programmer.

ezelkow1

03 May 2017

yea well, all drm's got their issues. I hit a problem with installing code meter on my new laptop last week. It will get through installation and then just hang at starting the code meter service for 5min until it comes back with some error and wont continue. Havent looked into it much since then after I tried the install a few times and a few reboots. Code meter's site offered some generic response to the error that was in no way helpful. No issue on my desktop, been using it fine for years, but new laptop, no way

Just sayin, all drm's suck in their own special ways

Oquasec

03 May 2017

Interesting. Will be copping an ignition key in the future for all mah devices :lol:
I remember I have to input some chrome command to reset codemeter when I forgot to deauthorize when upgrading to windows 8.1 some years back.
Producer/Programmer.

ezelkow1

03 May 2017

yea just gave it another shot and finally got it working. Had to turn off the windows user account protection because it was blocking the initial codemeter popup to do the installation in the background, since the codemeter install has 2 parts and 2 windows, one where you install the 64bit app from some small window, and then another that registers the service and starts it. That first window was not showing up when i had UAC fully enabled, so once I could install that it finally worked.

Loque

03 May 2017

ezelkow1 wrote:yea just gave it another shot and finally got it working. Had to turn off the windows user account protection because it was blocking the initial codemeter popup to do the installation in the background, since the codemeter install has 2 parts and 2 windows, one where you install the 64bit app from some small window, and then another that registers the service and starts it. That first window was not showing up when i had UAC fully enabled, so once I could install that it finally worked.
I really like license managers that trick themselfs and requires to lower the system security... You will be surprised how few applications work with EMET installed.
Reason12, Win10

Faastwalker

03 May 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:The only VSTs I've reinstalled so far is my prize-winning copy of Imposcar 2, it was straightforward enough.
Funny you should mention ImpOSCar 2. It was one of only about 3 VST's I've ever bought! Thought I'd reinstall it in readiness for 9.5 but I couldn't find my files or the serial key, which I remembered it came with. I contacted GForce and they were good enough to add a new download and serial to my account (I did about 3 patch banks for ImpOSCar when it was released). Next I had to log into my account ...... I didn't remember I had an account until they told me! I couldn't remember the password so I did a password reset to my email. Nothing! I tried a few old passwords and by sheer luck I managed to get in. Turns out the email on my account was one I added about 10 years ago! Have not used it for about 6 years. Anyway, download the files, unzipped, ran the installer, wasn't sure which version of the plug-in to actually install so installed them all, pointed the files and patch banks to all the default locations, installed. Ran the standalone version, entered the serial key ..... nothing! Dead as a door nail. I can't seem to make the standalone work at all. Hopefully the VST plug-in will actually work in Reason 9.5. I don't have anything else to test it with. But yes, VST's. A right pain in the arse!! I might still pester Dave Spiers for the RE port of ImpOSCar 2!! :o

EnochLight

03 May 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:The only VSTs I've reinstalled so far is my prize-winning copy of Imposcar 2, it was straightforward enough.
Funny you should mention ImpOSCar 2. It was one of only about 3 VST's I've ever bought! Thought I'd reinstall it in readiness for 9.5 but I couldn't find my files or the serial key, which I remembered it came with. I contacted GForce and they were good enough to add a new download and serial to my account (I did about 3 patch banks for ImpOSCar when it was released). Next I had to log into my account ...... I didn't remember I had an account until they told me! I couldn't remember the password so I did a password reset to my email. Nothing! I tried a few old passwords and by sheer luck I managed to get in. Turns out the email on my account was one I added about 10 years ago! Have not used it for about 6 years. Anyway, download the files, unzipped, ran the installer, wasn't sure which version of the plug-in to actually install so installed them all, pointed the files and patch banks to all the default locations, installed. Ran the standalone version, entered the serial key ..... nothing! Dead as a door nail. I can't seem to make the standalone work at all. Hopefully the VST plug-in will actually work in Reason 9.5. I don't have anything else to test it with. But yes, VST's. A right pain in the arse!! I might still pester Dave Spiers for the RE port of ImpOSCar 2!! :o
Did you download and install the 64-bit version? Also, did it install in a folder directory that your DAW is reading?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information