Jam Origin Midi Guitar Version 2.2.1- Vst

Discuss VST stuff here!
Deep Schulzz

29 Aug 2018

I'm interested to buy the new version of Midi Guitar 2 and use it as Vst plugin. Does anybody has experiences with this vst version in Reason 10?

zumBeispiel

29 Aug 2018

Unfortunately Reason has not yet implemented midi out for VST plugin like JOMG.
Reason sees it as an effect, so it can only record JOMG audio. It's OK but no midi editing is a big limit.
A workaround is to use a MIDI external program like Loopbe or use JOMG in standalone, but the latency seems to grow too much for guitar playing.
Nobody knows yet whether Propellerhead is going to fix this midi out in the next already promised VST upgrade.
Anyhow I use JOMG a lot with and without Reason limits, fantastic program!

ljekio

29 Aug 2018

If you open some VST-rack (like blue cats patch work) and put into it serially midi plugin and midi out plugin (like pizmidi) you can using it into Reason.

normen

29 Aug 2018

The standalone version has a virtual MIDI output, no need to use it as a VST. Works fine with Reason, even the cheap „For Garageband“ version on the App Store.

Deep Schulzz

30 Aug 2018

Thanks for the answers:)
I think i refrain from purchasing it as long as the vst version does not really work in Reason.

normen

30 Aug 2018

Deep Schulzz wrote:
30 Aug 2018
Thanks for the answers:)
I think i refrain from purchasing it as long as the vst version does not really work in Reason.
It doesn't even "really work" in other hosts, when you're automating parameters the plugin craps out after a while. I tried to use it in MainStage with some parameters mapped to on screen controls.. disaster. The devs confirmed as much. It's hands down the best guitar-to-MIDI I ever used though, including the modern hardware like TriplePlay etc.

guitfnky

30 Aug 2018

normen wrote:
30 Aug 2018
It's hands down the best guitar-to-MIDI I ever used though, including the modern hardware like TriplePlay etc.
it really is incredible. it's not hard to set up to run the MIDI into Reason, and the latency isn't bad at all, as long as you keep the buffer at/under 128. I suppose that depends on what kind of CPU you have, but it's kind of a game-changer for those of us with guitar skills, but struggle with keyboards. some of the best money I've spent on music "gear" in the last several years.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Deep Schulzz

01 Sep 2018

guitfnky wrote:
30 Aug 2018
normen wrote:
30 Aug 2018
It's hands down the best guitar-to-MIDI I ever used though, including the modern hardware like TriplePlay etc.
it really is incredible. it's not hard to set up to run the MIDI into Reason, and the latency isn't bad at all, as long as you keep the buffer at/under 128. I suppose that depends on what kind of CPU you have, but it's kind of a game-changer for those of us with guitar skills, but struggle with keyboards. some of the best money I've spent on music "gear" in the last several years.
I'm trying the demo at the moment. How does this work with the Midi Setup in Reason? Can't find a Midi Guitar midi output in the Demo.

normen

01 Sep 2018

Deep Schulzz wrote:
01 Sep 2018
guitfnky wrote:
30 Aug 2018

I'm trying the demo at the moment. How does this work with the Midi Setup in Reason? Can't find a Midi Guitar midi output in the Demo.
Check the MIDI Guitar Manual on how to create a virtual MIDI port first.

guitfnky

01 Sep 2018

yeah, you have to download one. I think I use LoopBe or something (can’t recall—I have it open on startup). there are (or were) instructions on the JamOrigin website that give a pretty thorough walkthrough of how to set it up.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information