Image Line Acquires UVI

Discuss VST stuff here!
Despondo
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2023

Will be interested to know how this plays out.....

https://www.drakestar.com/our-work/drak ... image-line

Jac459

11 Feb 2023

Despondo wrote:
11 Feb 2023
Will be interested to know how this plays out.....

https://www.drakestar.com/our-work/drak ... image-line
Whoa, didn't know UVI was French, didn't know FL was Belgian...

Seems Europeans have a kind of taste for Music Production Software :-)...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

moneykube

12 Feb 2023

I guess that somewhat explains why they never responded to my support request... their installer app says the UVI app/plugin needs updating... yet the installer app will not download it :thumbs_down:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

East Island

12 Feb 2023

It not the only company that IL Acquires.
Also Melda production

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616060
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

DaveyG

12 Feb 2023

Image Line now own UVI, Melda, a loop company I forget the name of and WA Productions.

Maybe they'll buy Reason next ;p

Jac459

12 Feb 2023

"FL Studio is installed 30.0000 times/day with peaks up 70.000 times/day". WHHHAAAT ????
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

joeyluck

12 Feb 2023

Jac459 wrote:
12 Feb 2023
"FL Studio is installed 30.0000 times/day with peaks up 70.000 times/day". WHHHAAAT ????
That looks like 30-70 times to me with some decimal places thrown in...

RobC

12 Feb 2023

Jac459 wrote:
12 Feb 2023
Huh, I only need to install a new Reason version once, and it works basically forever. : )

Baylo

12 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
12 Feb 2023
Depends on the convention of the country… Commas and periods might switch:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal ... 20baseline.

joeyluck

12 Feb 2023

Baylo wrote:
12 Feb 2023
joeyluck wrote:
12 Feb 2023
Ya I know, but it also says 30.0000 with 4 decimal points, so it looks even less so like 30,000 to me lol

robussc

12 Feb 2023

moneykube wrote:
12 Feb 2023
I guess that somewhat explains why they never responded to my support request... their installer app says the UVI app/plugin needs updating... yet the installer app will not download it :thumbs_down:
I ended up downloading the latest installer from their site directly, and trashing the old one. It’s been fine since.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Baylo

12 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
12 Feb 2023
Baylo wrote:
12 Feb 2023

Ya I know, but it' also says 30.0000 with 4 decimal points, so it looks even less so like 30,000 to me lol
That's an excellent point that my Sunday morning, caffeine-deficient brain hadn't noticed. :-)

moneykube

12 Feb 2023

robussc wrote:
12 Feb 2023
I ended up downloading the latest installer from their site directly, and trashing the old one. It’s been fine since.
color me stupid... thank you... downloading from site now... um duh > major dummy moment...
I got too comfortable using the plugin app downloaders. :oops:
Installed and working... THANK YOU :thumbup:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

robussc

12 Feb 2023

moneykube wrote:
12 Feb 2023
robussc wrote:
12 Feb 2023
color me stupid... thank you... downloading from site now... um duh > major dummy moment...
I got too comfortable using the plugin app downloaders. :oops:
Installed and working... THANK YOU :thumbup:
Glad to help! :)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Jac459

12 Feb 2023

joeyluck wrote:
12 Feb 2023
Jac459 wrote:
12 Feb 2023
Ha ha, maybe so but i think we can still say they are very successful as they can purchase a respected and I guess somewhat successful company like UVI.

My guess is that music production is like language learning, tons of beginners and only a few advanced as it is very appealing in theory but much more complex than expected afterwards.
So basically there is a huge amount of money to make from beginners and much less after.

In this game, i can understand why FL is so successful, it is very much geared towards rap music and is very appealing and visible as a first download for young "wanna be" teenage artists. There is nothing judgmental here, I have been there too (well, not rap haha).

So basically, FL enjoys an excellent marketing, "you like rap, FL is for you.".
Ableton managed similar thing with famous electronic producers like "Paul Kalkbrenner" pushing them. Paul is not exactly Dr Dre, but from a young musician point of view, it is very attractive to have somebody like him. Much more appealing than this or that "midi comping" feature...
Then Logic, logic has the advantage of garage band, and recently took a big boost with Billie eilish.

That's the 3 "very successful" DAW. I don't think other DAWs has such good marketing to surf.

Reason definitely has a dated image. It goes beyond the technical things. Reason managed a bit to associate with Liam Howlett but admittedly, prodigy's story is more behind them than in front.

Similarly, Bitwig associates with Richie Hawtin. He may be a legend but totally unknown from new generations ... And his latest productions are not very exciting...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Chi-Individual

12 Feb 2023

What’s interesting to me about the FL daily download numbers is that GarageBand is the most owned DAW, (via being free for all Macs, IPhones, IPads) yet they are nowhere near the top of anyone’s DAW list. Most that I know who liked it usually advance to Logic, never staying in GB, or another mobile DAW. And I haven’t heard of Apple making any game changing moves like some of these other companies. You have to wonder what has Image Line truly figured out that no one else can really see? There are Apple product users who simply refuse to use GB, including those who willingly install pirated copies of FL just to avoid using it. Weird!!

crimsonwarlock

13 Feb 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
12 Feb 2023
You have to wonder what has Image Line truly figured out that no one else can really see?
That good copy protection can hurt your bottom line. FL Studio is arguably the most used DAW because it is also the most pirated DAW. The misconception is that someone with a pirated copy will never buy a license, but in reality people either abandon the software because it is not their thing (so no sale lost there) or they move to the level where they want/need the support and buy a license.

It is also known that if Image Line encounters someone using a pirated version, they send a rather friendly request to either buy a license or stop using the software. Pretty mutch part of their marketing strategy.

I'm definitely not supporting pirated software, but reality is what it is.
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

Jac459

13 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Feb 2023
That good copy protection can hurt your bottom line. FL Studio is arguably the most used DAW because it is also the most pirated DAW. The misconception is that someone with a pirated copy will never buy a license, but in reality people either abandon the software because it is not their thing (so no sale lost there) or they move to the level where they want/need the support and buy a license.

It is also known that if Image Line encounters someone using a pirated version, they send a rather friendly request to either buy a license or stop using the software. Pretty mutch part of their marketing strategy.

I couldn't agree more.
Myself I used a pirated version of reason 1 and 2 as a student and i would have had no way to buy it. It was just not the kind of money i was able to spend.

Years later, because if this, the first DAW i bought (along 4k+ of RE) was Reason.

I would not have bought it if I didn't already knew it from the past. It is a fact. So yes, there is a double sword to piracy...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

jam-s

13 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Feb 2023

The Props were pretty much in on this kind of marketing in the past (before Record) and featured the slogan "buy the software you use" and some guys I know also came on board back than only after an "extended free trial" of R1-3 and Rebirth-338 when R4 hit.

EdGrip

14 Feb 2023

I assume FL enjoys an extreme presence and brand recognition within hip-hop and rap production online spaces, and as noted above, there are so many teenage beginners in those genres that FL has a steady turnover of new users to sustain it. (No shade either to FL - which I have no doubt is the perfect tool for some people - or to new users!)

Goriila Texas

17 Feb 2023

That tale of FL being pirated DAW died years ago when Image-Line went to email verification, I just don't see how you could get pass that. When you download a new version you have to provide email and password and they monitor your IP address if you login from another computer you will get a notification from them via email.

The notion that young people flock to FL only because You think it's been cracked is not supported in anyway. If the DAW is trash nobody would use it period regardless of it being free. The fact is that FL Studio's workflow resonates with the youth no matter how young you go to mid 30's it's the number one DAW. Image-line are still making enough money even with free updates for life to buy other software companies which kind of debunks all the "all the downloads are cracked" non-sense.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Feb 2023
Chi-Individual wrote:
12 Feb 2023
You have to wonder what has Image Line truly figured out that no one else can really see?

Last edited by Goriila Texas on 17 Feb 2023, edited 2 times in total.

Goriila Texas

17 Feb 2023

Image-Line figured out long ago to listen to their users and have a team of producers that they get ideas from about what features to implement. You can tell that whoever designed Logic or Reason are not producers because both workflows are an acquired taste. Logic has almost everything but the workflow is trash to many. You can tell the people in charge of Reason are musicians at best and not producers who rely on workflow! Musicians just need to hit record while they play instruments and they're good, not so for beatmakers/producers.

Another thing that hurts all DAWs outside of FL is not catering to Hip Hop as it is the most profitable genre in the world period. If the DAW workflow is not easy to do hip hop or trap in it will never compete with FL Studio.

Chi-Individual wrote:
12 Feb 2023
What’s interesting to me about the FL daily download numbers is that GarageBand is the most owned DAW, (via being free for all Macs, IPhones, IPads) yet they are nowhere near the top of anyone’s DAW list. Most that I know who liked it usually advance to Logic, never staying in GB, or another mobile DAW. And I haven’t heard of Apple making any game changing moves like some of these other companies. You have to wonder what has Image Line truly figured out that no one else can really see? There are Apple product users who simply refuse to use GB, including those who willingly install pirated copies of FL just to avoid using it. Weird!!

Jac459

17 Feb 2023

<<I hope I don't violate any forum rules here, my previous post was deleted. I guess i was to specific about piracy. I am trying to rephrase it. >>

FL is in fact still very pirated to these days. It has nothing to do with ip or email verification. If somebody managed to crack the software (takeout the ip/email verification part), then it is done. And if you Google a bit, you will see that FL is very very pirated.
Still, it is certainly one of the best DAW. Not for everyone as the workflow is strange for some, but definitely a top player.
And you are also right that being Trap and rap oriented is very smart.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

QVprod

17 Feb 2023

Probably more about overall visibility than anything else. I don’t see any barriers for Reason and Hiphop production. There’s a plethora of ways to do trap hihats if that’s your thing and many of these newer producers are using splice loops anyway. I’m not aware of any real advantages with that in mind.

I started on FL (very long time ago) because I didn’t know about anything else. FL is big in Hiphop because there where most of the YouTube tutorials are.

Goriila Texas

17 Feb 2023

I hate FL but I have to admit it has the best step sequencer and piano roll in the game period not debatable. You are right you can do hip hop but the workarounds and lack of modern features is a deal breaker for many. I'm not going to use blocks for markers. I'm not going to flip the rack and unhook a cable just to check a mono mix. I'm not going to switch between Dr Rex and NNXT for samples or loops when most other samplers play both and Reason Studios created the Rex format. Nobody wants to have to choose Chunk Trig in Kong to chop up drum loops when you can hold shift and drag a REX File on one pad in Studio One and it will chop each sound on all pads. It's all about workflow for most people with very little free time for making music.

QVprod wrote:
17 Feb 2023
Probably more about overall visibility than anything else. I don’t see any barriers for Reason and Hiphop production. There’s a plethora of ways to do trap hihats if that’s your thing and many of these newer producers are using splice loops anyway. I’m not aware of any real advantages with that in mind.

I started on FL (very long time ago) because I didn’t know about anything else. FL is big in Hiphop because there where most of the YouTube tutorials are.

• Information