Synapse Audio The Legend HZ has arrived.

Discuss VST stuff here!
geronimo

18 May 2024

I created the control mapping for Nektar's Panorama keyboards: the controls located on the other page (SIMULATION OPTIONS / EFFECTS) of the VST are accessible from the Nektar keyboard.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466&start=925

It's true that this may be different for the RE format version.

spacepluk

18 May 2024

joeyluck wrote:
04 May 2024
Loque wrote:
04 May 2024
Curious if the filter bank can be automated, especially later in the RE version?

Sadly everything on the back of a RE must not be automatically says RS. So all backside FX cannot be automated or mapped in a Combinator. Yet.
Yeah unless they are mirrored on the front like ABL3. I wonder...if a dev was determined to have controls on the back and not have them accessible on the front, but wanted it so they could be automated...maybe the dev could hide them on a front panel that can't be accessed by the user, but is mirrored to the back so they could be automated 🤔 Maybe RS wouldn't let that pass, but it could be a workaround.
I just checked the SDK and there is a very specific point in the acceptance checklist about that:
Verify that no parameters on the back panel are automatable via a placeholder on the front panel.
I'm super surprised about this limitation :(
And for me it defeats the point of getting the RE if it has less functionality than the VST.

joeyluck

18 May 2024

Never seen that and not aware of any REs not being accepted because of the workaround, such as ABL3.

spacepluk

18 May 2024

joeyluck wrote:
18 May 2024
Never seem that and not aware of any REs not being accepted because of the workaround, such as ABL3.
Good to hear! I'm trying to find where else in the docs they say that only the front can be remotable. It doesn't make any sense IMO unless it's a technical limitation of the rack.

spacepluk

18 May 2024

geronimo wrote:
18 May 2024
I created the control mapping for Nektar's Panorama keyboards: the controls located on the other page (SIMULATION OPTIONS / EFFECTS) of the VST are accessible from the Nektar keyboard.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466&start=925

It's true that this may be different for the RE format version.
Yeah, I just compared the Obession RE/VST and the RE is missing remotables for everything that's in the back.

Loque

18 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
18 May 2024
Loque wrote:
04 May 2024
Curious if the filter bank can be automated, especially later in the RE version?

Sadly everything on the back of a RE must not be automatically says RS. So all backside FX cannot be automated or mapped in a Combinator. Yet.
Oh, I had no idea that's a thing. That doesn't make a lot of sense after they added VST support...

I mean those controls (the VST's) are not in the front and puts the REs at a disadvantage. For example I'm just demoing Obsession and indeed all the FX and the modulation matrix aren't remotable in the RE but they are in the VST.

TIL
Good point with the VSTs...
Reason12, Win10

mind2069

18 May 2024

Nice update but some little dissapointing thing like

The delay LP/HP, why a fixed toggle, why not 2 rotaries so we can choose out own cut off points for each sounds, pretty easy to program and doesn't take more space

Panning for each 6 osc would of been nice

madmacman

19 May 2024

mind2069 wrote:
18 May 2024
Iirc this has been discussed at KvR: panning doesn‘t make sense because the filter is still mono. So no stereo spread possible… :(

mind2069

19 May 2024

madmacman wrote:
19 May 2024
mind2069 wrote:
18 May 2024
Iirc this has been discussed at KvR: panning doesn‘t make sense because the filter is still mono. So no stereo spread possible… :(
Well just make the filter stereo, it's 2024, stereo filters are no magical entities, if all osc are center, the stereo filter will still sound mono, so what's the problem, just give the user the chance to decide. with the spread/detune rotaries, the pluging is stereo anyway, just make it so from the start.

spacepluk

19 May 2024

mind2069 wrote:
19 May 2024
madmacman wrote:
19 May 2024

Well just make the filter stereo, it's 2024, stereo filters are no magical entities, if all osc are center, the stereo filter will still sound mono, so what's the problem, just give the user the chance to decide. with the spread/detune rotaries, the pluging is stereo anyway, just make it so from the start.
"Just make it stereo" would probably mean double the cpu usage?

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2024

spacepluk wrote:
18 May 2024
joeyluck wrote:
04 May 2024

Yeah unless they are mirrored on the front like ABL3. I wonder...if a dev was determined to have controls on the back and not have them accessible on the front, but wanted it so they could be automated...maybe the dev could hide them on a front panel that can't be accessed by the user, but is mirrored to the back so they could be automated 🤔 Maybe RS wouldn't let that pass, but it could be a workaround.
I just checked the SDK and there is a very specific point in the acceptance checklist about that:
Verify that no parameters on the back panel are automatable via a placeholder on the front panel.
And for me it defeats the point of getting the RE if it has less functionality than the VST.
It's totally possible to have controls from the front panel mirrored on the back, which means they are automatable. ReMark does exactly this with the color picker, as do many others.
What I think they don't want to get into is "invisible" controls on the front (super small and transparent). I don't think I've ever heard the official reason why this is expressly prohibited, or even a non-official reason for that matter! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

19 May 2024

selig wrote:
19 May 2024
spacepluk wrote:
18 May 2024

It's totally possible to have controls from the front panel mirrored on the back, which means they are automatable. ReMark does exactly this with the color picker, as do many others.
What I think they don't want to get into is "invisible" controls on the front (super small and transparent). I don't think I've ever heard the official reason why this is expressly prohibited, or even a non-official reason for that matter! ;)
Yeah and as I mentioned, ABL3 is another. That began with Hipass and Gate on the back, and then those were later added to the front and mirrored so that people could automate them. My mind was blown back then watching controls on the back move with automation lol. And another cool thing is you can actually use option-click from the back panel on those controls to add automation lanes (for those controls that are mirrored).

I was thinking about the scenario if a dev wanted to mirror controls, but only have them accessible on the back, they could hide the controls on a hidden front panel that the user can't access. But perhaps that would be the case that wouldn't pass?

I'm curious how much Synapse will put on the back panel of the Legend HZ RE. I don't think it's so bad not being able to automate the back panel of The Legend (original), since it isn't but so much. But the Legend HZ has quite a bit on the flip side of the VST and gonna need some room for CV. Seems funny that Reason kind of inspired the Synapse VST plugins to also have a flip side, but the RE would actually benefit from using front panels to be able to have automation for those controls without a workaround. And with that many controls, it's not really feasible unless they are mirrored to another panel anyways.

spacepluk

20 May 2024

Good to know! I'm thinking about developing a couple of REs myself so this is all great info. I just wish they would relax this requirement if possible because if it's only a UX Design one it's not very consistent and not worth the loss of functionality imho.

There are already plenty of instances of invisible controls in the front of the rack that require interaction before you can see what's moving (which is the same as flipping the rack imo). From the top of my head, besides the obvious one with the VSTs... everything that has "tabs" like Europa's engines or the stuff in all the Europa-style effect sections.

I'm just waiting to hear back from Synapse to see if they still do the crossgrade between VST/REs and if not I'll just get the VSTs heheh. And if they still do... remote control of the stuff in the back will be my first feature request :D

Nat

26 May 2024

Hi guys!
I just ported my new patches for RE version of The Legend, so here we go :cool: -

• Information