Anyone else kinda wish we didn't get VST support?

Discuss VST stuff here!
EdGrip

01 Aug 2017

I don't really like Thor - the interface irritates me. I like to like the interface of a softsynth.

The point is nobody minds anyone not liking aspects of Reason. Just don't have to be all shouty about it.

sublunar

01 Aug 2017

davidvilla wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Ok but, still:

Me: "Thor is shit compared to Massive."
The overly-sensitive people on this board: ""You have offended my family and you have offended the Shaolin Temple."
You seem to attribute more weight to your opinion than it is actually worth.

davidvilla

01 Aug 2017

Lol thanks for taking the time to respond to my opinion and for going out of your way to find a nice picture to go along with it.

Might as well answer the topic's original question while I'm here. No, I do not wish we didn't get VST support because Reason's legacy devices are , IMO, sonically poor and rack extensions were self-sabatoged by the Props, making it a crippled format from the beginning. I am thankful that we can now use VSTs and have the freedom to "un-patch" ourselves from the rack should we choose to do so. Hang on, let me go see what's happening in the RE forum - oh nothing is happening so I'm back. Shame. And it's been 2 months. Oh well, VSTs are here, everyone rejoice.

joeyluck

01 Aug 2017

I can say that Computer Music magazine has become a more interesting and relevant read for me than it was before Reason had VST support. I used to buy an issue here and there. But now I can use the included plugins. So, I got myself a subscription. $2.99/month on Google Play is a pretty great deal. Great content and there are some nice VSTs in there.

sublunar

01 Aug 2017

Yes, it's true. I invested 1.5 seconds of my life to find that picture. Eternal shame be unto me and all Reason users, especially those of us who started before VSTs were implemented and especially, especially, those of us who still haven't updated to 9.5! Woe be unto me! I shall toss my expensive and delicious sounding hardware units into the trash as soon as I can get my hands on a VST. VST is the bread of life and without it I shall perish into eternal damnation! Despair everlasting!

Oquasec

01 Aug 2017

Back in the day, rewiring was the vst.
Now vsts are integrated with wires at the back? Pigs are fucking flying right now and I'm loving every minute of it. Uhe zebra eh?
Omnisphere what?then softtube modular hm?

Although when it comes to synthesis and sampling, reason had all of that covered already and anything else was bells & whistles. :thumbs_up:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2017

joeyluck wrote:
01 Aug 2017
I can say that Computer Music magazine has become a more interesting and relevant read for me than it was before Reason had VST support. I used to buy an issue here and there. But now I can use the included plugins. So, I got myself a subscription. $2.99/month on Google Play is a pretty great deal. Great content and there are some nice VSTs in there.
Used to get it religiously every month thinking about getting into it again. Is there DLC with the electronic subscription. As far as I was concerned the magazine was a bonus when I was getting it.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

01 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Aug 2017
joeyluck wrote:
01 Aug 2017
Used to get it religiously every month thinking about getting into it again. Is there DLC with the electronic subscription. As far as I was concerned the magazine was a bonus when I was getting it.
Yes, you get access to it all when proving your purchase via https://www.filesilo.co.uk/ComputerMusic/

The Tone Ranger

04 Aug 2017

Davidvilla,

You comes across as very immature.
Good luck with the blog!

Tone

The Tone Ranger

04 Aug 2017

I'm quite happy with VST, it means I can ditch my other DAW. The floating windows isn't that enjoyable to use and I'm still trying to figure out how to get more than 2 inputs into Reaktor.

JdA57

04 Aug 2017

davidvilla wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Pffff....I can use Reason while still thinking Logic is the better app. I also use Pro Tools, and Logic is better than that too.

They'll never remove VST support now.

And REs are clearly dead so...live with it.
So many post's and you make me allways lol :D

Yes, every day I've to change between MAC and PC and I start Logic, using the internal plugs, on PC ... uuupppsss, oh no! It's not running on PC too ... so
... then I'm happy about Reason (But I'm not a 'only Reason-Fan!), or Ableton Live, or DP 9, Bitwig, or MuTools, or Tracktion etc, etc ... ... (yes sorry, I've to work with more then this DAW's)

And if then there will be a little (but often important!) bugfix update and Logic needs a new OS-Version for using the fixed version or apple will only give a important bugfix withing a major-upgrade users have to pay for, then I'm happy about: Reason, Ableton Live, or DP, or ... s.o. ... ...

Please tell me, why Logic is actually the best DAW? I know this software very well (using this companies software since C64 -> Atari -> PC and now only MAC ->)
And what you're missing, because you are using other Software too?

Maybe Logic for you is fine, but there are many reasons to look into other DAW's too. I only have Logic installed on one MAC, and only because sometimes I've to start it. Private I'm finished with this, because support and UD-politics. And because I think it's really not the best DAW.

:D :D :D Cite: 'It's a vst world' :D :D :D
Hello maybe Logic needs using AU-world and other DAWs needs AAX aso. But some give us the best of all this worlds :D :D :D

:D If you've to reinstall or to install on a new Computer (both platforms), then maybe you'll see too: why RE's are'nt dead (and quality of RE's really often is very good). I think now we've to wait a longer time for new RE's, but why do you think they are dead? O.o
Hopefully this many lowpriced-lowquality RE's now will not flood the props-shop again.

And why you compare 'thor' with seperate vst? Which vst is as so flexible like thor and is integrated (both types of OS) -now- for free in a DAW? (Before, we paid for thor withing an Reason-M.-UG, like Logic-Users for the new integrated synth-plugs)

I think you are talking and talking and talking ... ... and you like it ;)

One point I'm thinking same: Yes, it's fine that Reason now gives the option for VSTs too. They've never to remove. So actually I think Reason the most flexible DAW with RE's and many options you actually will not find in another DAW (Not in Logic too :D :D )

Oquasec

04 Aug 2017

Reason is basically another protools after 6.5 tbh.
Producer/Programmer.

fotizimo

04 Aug 2017

davidvilla wrote:
01 Aug 2017
Lol thanks for taking the time to respond to my opinion and for going out of your way to find a nice picture to go along with it.

Might as well answer the topic's original question while I'm here. No, I do not wish we didn't get VST support because Reason's legacy devices are , IMO, sonically poor and rack extensions were self-sabatoged by the Props, making it a crippled format from the beginning. I am thankful that we can now use VSTs and have the freedom to "un-patch" ourselves from the rack should we choose to do so. Hang on, let me go see what's happening in the RE forum - oh nothing is happening so I'm back. Shame. And it's been 2 months. Oh well, VSTs are here, everyone rejoice.
Wow, you actually have a whole site dedicated to your dislike of Reason. That is some truly dedicated hatred of a DAW. Plus you hang around a Reason-centric site just to bash it in favour of Logic?? Why not ditch Reason and spend all that time working on Logic?
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

SA Studio

04 Aug 2017

kuhliloach wrote:
27 Jul 2017
Adding VST's is obviously a must it just happened about ten years too late. What I "wish" is that Propellerheads would start taking software development more seriously. Reason is about half finished and it seems there is no sense of urgency surrounding its completion. There are basic gaping holes in Reason's overall functionality and UI design that are completely inexcusable for "commercial" software, but might make sense in a freeware environment. Sometimes I wonder if Reason's entire development team is one person who is extremely annoyed and underpaid.
I have to agree with this 1000%. I personally think a staff change, or at least hiring multiple new people would help in many, many ways.

SA Studio

04 Aug 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
27 Jul 2017
Not at all. Since adding VST support I can now finish whole projects with just Reason. I already had VSTs/AUs/AAX for years, it's nothing new to me. They were already installed on my system. Now being able to use them in Reason w/o some Rewire or whatever is fantastic!

And I still continue to support REs as well. Bought a bunch in the recent sales. So all good for me over here. As others have said, you don't HAVE to use them. You don't HAVE to install anything.
I agree with this as well, however, there is no remote question that Reason can handle about 30% to 40% (and that's being generous) the track count and DSP workload that literally every single DAW on the market can do on the same exact hardware.

So while the inclusion has been nice to use products I already own, watching how fast Reason gets brought to it's knees is absolutely staggering and painful.

It needs major....major improvements to be a DAW that you don't have to keep bouncing out stems like its 2004 all over again. Sorry, that's just truth there. The amount of bouncing people are doing to save their projects is entirely nothing you ever need to do in another DAW on the same hardware, like ever, and is indicative of a major problem.

We need expect more from them as programmers here in 2017.

SA Studio

04 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Jul 2017
moneykube wrote:
30 Jul 2017
and still computer too slow for 3 tracks ? wow... fix please
Commit to track!
No. Definitely no. This isn't 2004 and my specs shatter the requirements for any other DAW. Oh, then there's the fact I have enough time with other DAWs and the entire recording industry on the whole to know just what it's saying about a program that's making you have to bounce a track after you record something.

The dire necessity to Bounce/Freeze/Commit to track = All because the DAW can't process much. It needs an update and serious optimization.

SA Studio

04 Aug 2017

Oquasec wrote:
04 Aug 2017
Yeah.....a 10 track max and 3 active VST Pro Tools version, you must mean.

Another Pro Tools? :lol: :roll:

joeyluck

04 Aug 2017

Hey I remember when I got work accomplished on my 450Mhz Mac G4 Cube running Reason 1-4 :puf_smile:
I still would like to see improvements on macOS Sierra; and continue to file reports. But always trying to look on the bright side of what I can do now compared to years ago. But I do have to look a bit further back, because if I only look at a couple of years ago when I was on macos 10.9, that's when the current performance really sticks out.

Oquasec

04 Aug 2017

most of my plugs are rack extensions, so if I do not use reason I lost RE format.
If you use reaktor, you can expect the same actually.
I feel like reason and reaktor are kindred.
Producer/Programmer.

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2017

People spend more time talking about DAW issues than actually creating music(ahem, you know who you are ). If I stumble into a problem, I work around it as quickly and efficiently as I can in order to continue working.

Running into any annoyances in a DAW may set me back momentarily but will never stop me from moving forward in the music making process. Fixating on such trivial, meaningless crap such as the palette of colors available to code tracks with and so fourth is so beyond stupendous and contributes nothing of significance to your music.

As with VST.. why would anyone wish we didn't get VST? You simply choose not to use them if you don't want to use them. It's as simple as that folks.

Blast

05 Aug 2017

Oquasec wrote:
04 Aug 2017
With only 8 sends and return? Do you mean protools first?

Oquasec

05 Aug 2017

You don't have a limit for sends :lol: that is that other thing.
Producer/Programmer.

AttenuationHz

05 Aug 2017

Oquasec wrote:
04 Aug 2017
I can't resist the urge to call you out on that ProTools statement I've bitten my tongue long enough. You couldn't be more wrong like ever. Out of all the crazy shit I've read, you say this, has to be the worst :D :lol:

I would love to have reason be like ProTools and iv'e said that before there is many things PT does extremely well but Reason is about 12 versions behind it to even coming close to being like it.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

boomer

05 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
05 Aug 2017

I would love to have reason be like ProTools and iv'e said that before there is many things PT does extremely well but Reason is about 12 versions behind it to even coming close to being like it.
Can you please list a few? I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

kitekrazy

05 Aug 2017

boomer wrote:
05 Aug 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
05 Aug 2017

Can you please list a few? I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
Wanting a Daw to be like another DAW. That's why you buy the other DAW and not treat them like religions in believing you have to stick with one. It was not uncommon for early Reason users with Macs to also have Pro Tools to master their Reason projects.

• Information