Problem moving vst songs from pc to mac

Discuss VST stuff here!
jpf

30 Jul 2017

Hi everybody,

My pc/win7 is having problems with sound quality (latency, pops, etc) so I decided to move reason and my songs to my macbook pro 10.7.5

I have some songs thas use synth1 vst so I installed that vst in my mac without any problem (vst is appearing in mac reason browser), but when I want to load a song that already use synth1 vst, reason says "missing vst", even though that vst is loading in reason...

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Hauser+Quaid

31 Jul 2017

Just a guess because I don't have a PC but I think sometimes there are slight variations on the names of the VSTs across different platforms. So for example I know Serum comes up as "Serum x64" in some instances and just "Serum" in others. Unfortunately I don't know of an easy fix if that's the case. You might have to export the preset & MIDI from the old document & import into your new one?

jpf

31 Jul 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Just a guess because I don't have a PC but I think sometimes there are slight variations on the names of the VSTs across different platforms. So for example I know Serum comes up as "Serum x64" in some instances and just "Serum" in others. Unfortunately I don't know of an easy fix if that's the case. You might have to export the preset & MIDI from the old document & import into your new one?
I think you are right... thank you for your comment. I think reason should have a way to solve this kind of problems, for example the option to rename a vst...

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2017

jpf wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Hauser+Quaid wrote:
31 Jul 2017
I think you are right... thank you for your comment. I think reason should have a way to solve this kind of problems, for example the option to rename a vst...
You should definitely be able to rename the way reason displays a VST (and how it structures the menu's :roll:) that grey text on the VST device! But unfortunately I don't think that would solve the issue as you would have to rename the name of the vst on the disk and how Reason reads it. In your case Serum x64 it gets that name from the VST itself. I would chance email Props and ask if they could do anything but report it anyway, I say, because I'm sure collaborations between reason users on mac and pc would suffer because of that.

Importing the patch and the midi data is your only option.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jpf

01 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Aug 2017
jpf wrote:
31 Jul 2017

You should definitely be able to rename the way reason displays a VST (and how it structures the menu's :roll:) that grey text on the VST device! But unfortunately I don't think that would solve the issue as you would have to rename the name of the vst on the disk and how Reason reads it. In your case Serum x64 it gets that name from the VST itself. I would chance email Props and ask if they could do anything but report it anyway, I say, because I'm sure collaborations between reason users on mac and pc would suffer because of that.

I will report. Thank you

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Aug 2017
jpf wrote:
31 Jul 2017

As it's just a missing VST you can then just grad your Synth1 and replace the missing VST so no need to import midi data however the patch maybe more challenging..

I squarely put the dev's of the VST at fault here for not being consistent across their products and they should be contacted.. (Note when 9.5 was announced a number of dev's internally renamed there products to bring everything inline with their VST's etc, I know this as they broke a number of mappings which I fixed)

I think asking Reason to give you the ability to rename device is a recipe to disaster, next thing people will moan about is if the patches don't line up as in the VST dev's have not been consistent in the parameters they have used.

Catblack

02 Aug 2017

I have been noticing the mac/pc discrepancies in the names of the VST Remote Infos I've collected. I was wondering when someone would bump into this issue, but thought that it would be when people ran into it with combinators with VST containers. I'm certain the exact same issue is going to crop up there.

I think the eventual 'best' solution -- though this isn't an issue that affects most people, though it would affect more if we were sharing combinators with VST containers more -- is for the Propellerheads to add a few lines of code to internally strip away ' x64' (or '_x64') in a VST name when it runs across one it can't find.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

etyrnal

06 Aug 2017

jpf wrote:Hi everybody,

My pc/win7 is having problems with sound quality (latency, pops, etc) so I decided to move reason and my songs to my macbook pro 10.7.5

I have some songs thas use synth1 vst so I installed that vst in my mac without any problem (vst is appearing in mac reason browser), but when I want to load a song that already use synth1 vst, reason says "missing vst", even though that vst is loading in reason...

Thank you in advance for any advice!
yet another in the long list of reasons why vst will trash the amazing propellerhead ecosystem... fragmentation ensues

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Information