Another VST question

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2018

Hi again :). I just download a few VSTs from TAL. Inside the Zip file are a few installers and some .dll files. If I copy just the appropriate.dll file to my VST folder it shows up and works in Reason no problem. My question is...why is there an installer when it’s not needed? Thanks :).

Edit: Further to that...I’ve got Elektro, the Juno 106 one and the noise maker in the same folder on my PC. When I open Reason and look at instruments however there’s 2 TAL folders with the same name?
Last edited by MrFigg on 27 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

27 Sep 2018

Convenience (VST2, VST3, 32/64bit, AAX...).
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
27 Sep 2018

Aaaa...did you see my added question above? Youve becomes my go to VST man :). Appreciated:-

I’ve got Elektro, the Juno 106 one and the noise maker in the same folder on my PC. When I open Reason and look at instruments however there’s 2 TAL folders with the same name?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

27 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
27 Sep 2018

Aaaa...did you see my added question above? Youve becomes my go to VST man :). Appreciated:-

I’ve got Elektro, the Juno 106 one and the noise maker in the same folder on my PC. When I open Reason and look at instruments however there’s 2 TAL folders with the same name?
The name in Reason comes from the manufacturer. Probably a typo somewhere from TAL.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
27 Sep 2018
MrFigg wrote:
27 Sep 2018

The name in Reason comes from the manufacturer. Probably a typo somewhere from TAL.
Great :):). That's all my questions for today. Promise. Thanks
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

28 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
27 Sep 2018
why is there an installer when it’s not needed?
Other than to automate the installation of different plugin formats, installer also makes sure to properly place and link all the files - documentation, presets, libraries, executables (if VST can be run as a standalone application), etc.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
28 Sep 2018
MrFigg wrote:
27 Sep 2018
why is there an installer when it’s not needed?
Other than to automate the installation of different plugin formats, installer also makes sure to properly place and link all the files - documentation, presets, libraries, executables (if VST can be run as a standalone application), etc.
But if using just the .dll file works then that’s alright?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

28 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2018
antic604 wrote:
28 Sep 2018

If you have the presets, then I guess. Sometimes presets are in .fxp (or something) file in separate folder.

What I personally do I always use the installer (if it's there), choose a folder in My Documents / VST / where I try to keep all my VSTs and then - if necessary - copy the vst3 files to there manually, because by default they go to Program Files / Common Files / VST3 and very rarely the installer gives you a different choice.

But sure, if it works then it works :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
28 Sep 2018
MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2018

If you have the presets, then I guess. Sometimes presets are in .fxp (or something) file in separate folder.

What I personally do I always use the installer (if it's there), choose a folder in My Documents / VST / where I try to keep all my VSTs and then - if necessary - copy the vst3 files to there manually, because by default they go to Program Files / Common Files / VST3 and very rarely the installer gives you a different choice.

But sure, if it works then it works :)
I just hate installers as I don’t know exactly what and where they’re putting “secret” stuff on my PC. Keep it clean :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WongoTheSane

28 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2018
I just hate installers as I don’t know exactly what and where they’re putting “secret” stuff on my PC. Keep it clean :)
Installers do have an added bonus, though: they register all their files in a convenient uninstaller! With free VSTs, I find myself uninstalling almost as often as I'm installing...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
28 Sep 2018
MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2018
Installers do have an added bonus, though: they register all their files in a convenient uninstaller! With free VSTs, I find myself uninstalling almost as often as I'm installing...
Me too. But I don’t trust uninstallers either ha ha :). Some searching after an uninstall usually turns up some leftover nuts and bolts I find. That’s why I’m only ok dragging one file into a folder. That way I know what’s there and where it is.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Lizard

29 Sep 2018

Some VST may require additional files to run outside of the DLL file. As an example many VST created from SynthEdit use supporting files from the SDK (usually with an extension SEM) per instance. The folder is often named the same as the DLL giving the appearance of being a install folder but really a support folder. Many 32 bit plugins were like this. Not sure if the 64-bit plugins with SythEdit do this but probably do. And like others have stated these can be preset folders for the device.

• Information