_PluginDatabase.dat

Discuss VST stuff here!
BearHands

27 May 2023

Some of my newer Plugins are not being read/scanned by Reason.
I saw in a Reddit post that the Propellerheads guys sent someone this email and it fixed the problem

Hi,

Info about all currently installed VSTs is saved by Reason in a file called
"_PluginCache.dat" (Reason 10.0.0 and earlier) or "_PluginDatabase.dat" (Reason 10.0.1 and later) in:

~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Caches/
The user (~) Library folder is hidden by default. To open it, press the Option key while opening the "Go" menu in Finder, then select "Library".

Quit Reason and delete the "_PluginCache.dat" (if there is one in there) and "_PluginDatabase.dat" files. Then, launch Reason and it will re-scan the VST folders.

-Now My problem is that I cannot find these files anywhere on my computer. I have searched the pathway above but it comes up as nothing. When I search just for Library it comes up with a thousand amd64 files and wow64 files. I am not hugely computer literate, so it would be great if someone could perhaps help me find my way here. Is that the exact thing I type in to find these files?
I use windows so when it says to hold the option key while opening the Go menu I have no idea what that means. From what I can tell, I have the Propellerhead Authorizor file and the Reason 12 file, nothing else comes up when I search

Thanks for any help you could provide to shed some light

crimsonwarlock

27 May 2023

Look here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514631

It is the first location mentioned there :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Loque

27 May 2023

Check this out
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514631

Maybe this helps
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason
Reason12, Win10

BearHands

27 May 2023

Loque wrote:
27 May 2023
Check this out
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514631

Maybe this helps
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason
Thanks, yes I did check out that post before I made my post and when I type this into my search bar it comes up empty, it says no items match your search. This is very confusing for me, I am not really sure what is going on.
Does anyone have any other ideas?

BearHands

27 May 2023

When I go in to C:\Users There is no UserName, AppData, Local etc.... I cannot find them anywhere

crimsonwarlock

27 May 2023

UserName is YOUR username :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DaveyG

27 May 2023

When you find the files rename them rather than deleting them. Then you can undo it if anything screws up.

BearHands

27 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 May 2023
UserName is YOUR username :puf_wink:
lol, yes I know that it is my name.
This is what is in my name:
3D objects
ansel
contacts
documents
downloads
favourites
links
mirror
music
onedrive
pcmanager
pictures
roaming
saved games
searches

Now, all of these have 1 or 2 things inside them because this computer is only used for making music.
Does anyone have any other ideas about what has happened here?
It's weird because some vst3s work, but others don't.
I am using Reason 12 on windows 11

BearHands

27 May 2023

DaveyG wrote:
27 May 2023
When you find the files rename them rather than deleting them. Then you can undo it if anything screws up.
Yeah I will definitely do that

crimsonwarlock

27 May 2023

BearHands wrote:
27 May 2023
On your C-drive is a map named "Users", inside that map you should see maps named Default and Public, and one or more maps with user names. Go into the map with the username you use to run Reason, and go on from there (into AppData). IMPORTANT: make sure you have "hidden items" checked in explorer.
-------

DaveyG

27 May 2023

In the explorer address bar type %localappdata%

BearHands

27 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 May 2023
BearHands wrote:
27 May 2023
On your C-drive is a map named "Users", inside that map you should see maps named Default and Public, and one or more maps with user names. Go into the map with the username you use to run Reason, and go on from there (into AppData). IMPORTANT: make sure you have "hidden items" checked in explorer.
Awesome thanks man. Thanks for the show hidden files tip, I had no idea about this at all.
I appreciate everyones time
Thankyou

BearHands

28 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 May 2023
BearHands wrote:
27 May 2023
Well, I deleted the file and followed the correct procedure as above but Reason is still only recognizing about half of my vsts. I have the correct folders added to preferences folders section but still no good....
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this, I really appreciate all the help provided so far everyone

jam-s

28 May 2023

Keep in mind that Reason does not see any 32bit plugins in case you have still installed any of those.

boggg1

28 May 2023

Has Reason seen the plugins and then disabled them or is it not seeing them at all ?
To find out (In Reason) select "Window" then "Manage Plugins".
When the manager comes up press the column header "Status" to sort the list by Status. Scrollto the top then the bottom of the sorted list to see what plugins are "enabled" and what are disabled. An "Enabled" plugin is a working plugin (as far as Reason is concerned) but any other message indicates Reason has seen the plugin but was not able to load it properly. Click on a particular problem plugin to see a message below as to why Reason thinks it could not load it.

Are the missing plugins in the list with some messages other then "Enabled" ?

Be aware also that once a plugin does not load then iReason locks it out which means next time you load Reason it does not try to load that locked plugin. You can re-enable any locked plugin by selectng the plugin (same page) and pressing the "Enable" button. Or you can re-enable everything by pressing the "Enable All" button (same page). Restarting Reason will now rescan that once locked pugin. But notice you have to restart Reason to rescan.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

altron

29 May 2023

I have a similar issue on a Macbook Air M2... I have a couple Roland Cloud VST3s installed. Some of them appear in Reason while others are not, in this case the D-50 and Juno-60 VSTs seem not to be recognized. They are installed properly in the right location (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Roland). Deleting _PluginDatabase.dat and letting Reason rescan doesn't fix it. Works fine on Reason on my Windows PC but not on the Mac. Anyone know what's going on?
Trap is where music goes to die.

jam-s

29 May 2023

altron wrote:
29 May 2023
I have a similar issue on a Macbook Air M2... I have a couple Roland Cloud VST3s installed. Some of them appear in Reason while others are not, in this case the D-50 and Juno-60 VSTs seem not to be recognized. They are installed properly in the right location (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Roland). Deleting _PluginDatabase.dat and letting Reason rescan doesn't fix it. Works fine on Reason on my Windows PC but not on the Mac. Anyone know what's going on?
When Reason is running in Rosetta mode then the x86/amd64 versions of the plugins should be there while when Reason is running in native mode (arm64) the M1-native plugin versions should show up and there might be quite some that don't have a M1 native version yet or need to be updated.

BearHands

30 May 2023

boggg1 wrote:
28 May 2023
Has Reason seen the plugins and then disabled them or is it not seeing them at all ?
To find out (In Reason) select "Window" then "Manage Plugins".
When the manager comes up press the column header "Status" to sort the list by Status. Scrollto the top then the bottom of the sorted list to see what plugins are "enabled" and what are disabled. An "Enabled" plugin is a working plugin (as far as Reason is concerned) but any other message indicates Reason has seen the plugin but was not able to load it properly. Click on a particular problem plugin to see a message below as to why Reason thinks it could not load it.

Are the missing plugins in the list with some messages other then "Enabled" ?

Be aware also that once a plugin does not load then iReason locks it out which means next time you load Reason it does not try to load that locked plugin. You can re-enable any locked plugin by selectng the plugin (same page) and pressing the "Enable" button. Or you can re-enable everything by pressing the "Enable All" button (same page). Restarting Reason will now rescan that once locked pugin. But notice you have to restart Reason to rescan.
Awesome, thankyou so much for this information, I had no idea about this.
I enabled them all but some are still not showing up but I am going to delete them all and re-install them to see if that may help the situation.

altron

30 May 2023

jam-s wrote:
29 May 2023
altron wrote:
29 May 2023
When Reason is running in Rosetta mode then the x86/amd64 versions of the plugins should be there while when Reason is running in native mode (arm64) the M1-native plugin versions should show up and there might be quite some that don't have a M1 native version yet or need to be updated.
Makes perfect sense! Since it's the latest Reason version for Mac it should be running in native mode. I assume that Roland hasn't updated their D-50 and Juno-60 VSTs for it yet. The Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and JD-800 on the other hand work. They also have some additional functionality in contrast to the other two so I hope Roland will hopefully update them soon for Silicon.
Trap is where music goes to die.

• Information