Isolate Kick from EZDrummer 2 for sidechain?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Mistro17

09 Oct 2023

Hi. I'm trying out sidechaining for the first time. I have an instance of EZDrummer 2 within a combinator where I successfully put a reverb (RV-7) on only the clap oneshot via mixer. But now I want to isolate the kick from the combinator so I can sidechain with the bass without all the rest of the percussion from EZBass effecting the compressor. Is this doable? I tried dragging a copy of only the EZDrummer out of the combinator but it seems to still be attached somehow. My plan was to make a copy, mute everything but the kick in the copy then mute the kick from the original EZDrummer instance. The weird thing is the copy I dragged out does not show any cables going anywhere but it's still playing as if it's in the combinator set. Any advise is appreciated.

Moderators- After posting this question I'm not sure I posted in the right section. Feel free to send this to tutorial section if it's better.

-008'

10 Oct 2023

absolutely doable! im on ezd 3 but im sure it's mostly the same.

1. create a new mix channel, name it Kick
2. route ezd kick out 1/2 to the new mix ch. (or whatever 1/2, 3/4, etc that you have the kick out set to in ezd mixer tab.)
3. route the parallel out (or split signal) from the bass channel to the new kick channel's Dynamic SC input.

Optional - If you don't want to use the comp on Reason Mixer, and want to use a different RE compressor or a VST compressor, just route step3 either directly into the SC inputs on the back of a RE device that has them, or for VSTs - into the SC inputs on back of that vstfx shell.

I'm a bad explainer but hope that helps! Pic is with the VST comp option
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-10 083150.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-10 083150.jpg (289.13 KiB) Viewed 513 times
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Mistro17

10 Oct 2023

-008' wrote:
10 Oct 2023
absolutely doable! im on ezd 3 but im sure it's mostly the same.

1. create a new mix channel, name it Kick
2. route ezd kick out 1/2 to the new mix ch. (or whatever 1/2, 3/4, etc that you have the kick out set to in ezd mixer tab.)
3. route the parallel out (or split signal) from the bass channel to the new kick channel's Dynamic SC input.

Optional - If you don't want to use the comp on Reason Mixer, and want to use a different RE compressor or a VST compressor, just route step3 either directly into the SC inputs on the back of a RE device that has them, or for VSTs - into the SC inputs on back of that vstfx shell.

I'm a bad explainer but hope that helps! Pic is with the VST comp option
Thanks! I'll give this a try :thumbup:

• Information