Creating quick-running beats?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Sanes

14 Sep 2016

Hello there! I have written up a whole bunch of cool melodies for a game I'm making (which at the moment is... well, lets just say rusty), but the thing is, the melodies in and of themselves with some effects in the background won't really do. I need a quick-running beat to accompany it. Now, I'm not sure of the proper term used to call these beats and I don't really have any examples to provide to give an idea of what I'm trying to interpret, but basically I would really like to make some quick paced beats, which use drums (possibly drums, my head can't even explain to me how I want them to sound :~), which could then be accompanied by some "slightly creepy" melodies in minor keys. Since I could not really find anything that sounds anywhere near like this type of beat, I thought I'd ask here as to whether someone can give me some examples and perhaps even techniques of making these kinds of beats if you know what kind I am looking for.

VHS

14 Sep 2016

I dont think "quick paced drums" is specific enough. What are the BPM's of the melodies you've made?
At any rate, post what you have so far and Ill try to help out.

Sanes

14 Sep 2016

Ahh, well, I think I've figured it out. The BPM is 164 and I used Hip Hop drums to make it. So... I'll refrain from giving out anything for now :P

5pliceR

14 Sep 2016

Hi!

How about finding a bunch of different drum loops at around that BPM, then audition them against your melodies. Just to get an idea of what sort of sounds and rhythms work. Throw some effects on them and mess around. My first thoughts are dark jungle, industrial "drum" sounds, lots of weird fx.

You could post an excerpt of melody over a click track for an idea.

Also: First post for me!

VHS

14 Sep 2016

Sanes wrote:I'll refrain from giving out anything for now :P
You've misunderstood. Good luck :puf_smile:

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

16 Sep 2016

Here's a tip to make drums sounds faster.... use of high frequency instruments (ie rides, high hats especially) at 1/16th can give the impression of 'urgency' or 'speed', while the kick-snare pattern is at the default pace

164bpm sounds like early hardcore / jungle breakbeats (amen break especially, but anything from 105bpm pitched up to 164bpm and cut'n'shut up can always be a good way to add 'familiarity' to a more 'static' programmed drum module (ie Redrum kick snare kick-kick snare)

Dabbler

16 Sep 2016

Listen to some Chick Corea with Steve Gadd on drums. Friends is a good one.

• Information