Modular control with Remote

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dioxide

18 Jul 2016

So who here like modular synthesis? :cool: Here is an experiment in using the Main Mixer as a modulation mixer to control some parameters in a Thor. It is recommended for use with a mixing desk type controller such as the Nektar Panorama P1.

Notes

1. Each Insert Effect can contain some kind of modulation source. So long as the output is converted to audio and connected to the Insert Outputs you will be able to switch modulation sources using the patch browser for each Mixer Insert. All modulation is achieved using audio channels.

2. Modulation amount (eg. for an LFO) is adjusted by raising the Send FX level for the modulation 'module'.

3. What are the advantages of this? The Main Mixer is the only device that can have new channels added to it and still all be controlled by a single Remote control device without manual mapping. For other setups you need to Remote Override manually. This method means that you can duplicate channels (modulation modules) and the Remote device will automatically map itself.

4. As the Main Mixer also maps 1-4 Rotaries and 1-4 Buttons of the modulation 'module' (Insert FX Patch) your Remote device will automatically map those parameters to your Remote device.

5. Keep the faders for the Modulation Slots turned all the way down. You don't want to mix in the sound that is being used for modulation into the audio from Thor.

Example
The example file is a Reason 8 file. In the example file FX Send 1 is routed to the Filter 1 Cutoff in Thor and FX Send 2 is routed to Osc 3 PW in Thor. This is really just to show the theory and the concept can be greatly expanded on, including creating many different LFO and modulation patches for use with this system.

Required REs
This example uses Lectric Panda's Scope device. It isn't necessary for the file but it makes it easier to visualise what is going on.
It also uses Pulsar RE. I'm going to assume that if you're interested in modular tweakery then you already have this. It is now included in Reason 9 so if you have R9 then you're already good to go.

Enjoy!!
Attachments
MMM-BUS - Mixer Modular Modulation Bus.zip
R8 File
(342.78 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

8cros

18 Jul 2016

I have always used a simple way. For example Volt SL.
Using the mixer is a very interesting idea.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

dioxide

18 Jul 2016

8cros wrote:I have always used a simple way. For example Volt SL.
Using the mixer is a very interesting idea.
Yes it's a different approach, mostly because the the Remote mapping is very easy with a mixer type device. It's fun to try but I don't think I will be making any music this way :puf_bigsmile:

• Information