What Effect Is Added Here?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

11 Sep 2016

Hi All!

In the video at the beginning. I was wondering what effect is being added to the bass.

You would've thought after 4 years I'd know lol!

I thought phasing at first, then I was like no, vocoder as it's sounding kinda formanty like the formant filter in Thor. I've now come to the conclusion it's probably 2 or 3 effects. Maybe a filter added too?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ProfessaKaos

11 Sep 2016

Sort of sounds like an 808 or a sine wave that is sequenced on every first beat of each bar, or are you talking about the lead synth in the intro and not the bass?

Creativemind

11 Sep 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote:Sort of sounds like an 808 or a sine wave that is sequenced on every first beat of each bar, or are you talking about the lead synth in the intro and not the bass?
Oh yeah I hear that, that is an 808 subby kick. It must be the lead sound then. The one that has 2 of them together and has the affected automated I think at the end.

It's definitely reverbed but what else has been added?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

VHS

11 Sep 2016

sounds like the classic sync 303, try the Oscillator Sync Acid patch in thor leads (factory sound bank not reason 9 sounds), probably need to change some envelopes, but thats the sound. hope it helps :puf_smile:

WongoTheSane

11 Sep 2016

I think it's a talking bass, and lo and behold, alex has posted a tutorial about this just yesterday. It uses eXpanse, but it can easily be adapted on other synths:

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7496591

And he has done a very similar sound on Thor a couple of months ago:

Both videos are excellent and well worth the time (all his videos, really).

selig
RE Developer

11 Sep 2016

VHS wrote:sounds like the classic sync 303, try the Oscillator Sync Acid patch in thor leads (factory sound bank not reason 9 sounds), probably need to change some envelopes, but thats the sound. hope it helps :puf_smile:
+1, classic oscillator "sync", where one oscillator is pitch-swept with an envelope, while synced to the other oscillator. Same sound as on the beginning of The Cars "Let's Go", right?
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

12 Sep 2016

Didnt noticed this sync very much till now. How can this be achieved with other synths or RE?
Reason12, Win10

alex

13 Sep 2016

WongoTheSane wrote: Both videos are excellent and well worth the time (all his videos, really).
Hey Wongo, thank you so much for your kind words, I'm flattered, it makes my videos stuff worthwhile! Actually I was going to write you much appreciation on your awesome Fritz tutorial (the one on how to control the pitch/semi section via midi note input), which is something I wanted to do but I never figured it out how... until your post! Great mind blowing stuff.

Back to the topic, at first I thought it was a classic TB303 distorted sound, but VHS and Selig just nailed it (impressive trained ear, and I agree with them), it is a classic sync synth sound (square/pulse I guess) with a bit of delay and reverb.

@Loque: eXpanse has a sync modifier, Tres, Monopoly, RP quad, JP ammo (the big one), Parsec they all have sync function as far as I know.

Cheers!
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

• Information