how to create syncopated snare/toms with kong

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MitchClark89

21 Mar 2017

hi all friends

i am trying to learn myself to program more realistic drums rather than my boring old hip hop patterns that sound a dull and un life like. i am interested in programming a more jazz style or rock pattern with syncopated snares with different velocity (some quieter hits and mini rolls) to mimic a real drumer instead of a the every hit is same velocity = boring and robot.

can someone please tell me a place to watch a video about using hit types and velocity in kong to achieve syncopated snare sound? i think it can be done for sure but im need to learn more about it.

thanks to all

MC

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2017

Hi MC

I think the first thing to consider is what a 'real' drummer would be doing, and then to play/program those timings and feels into the Seq.

To get that, read about what syncopation and ghost hits are and start trying them in the Main Seq. To loosen timing, don't forget the Groove function - just don't overdo it or the timing will disintegrate.

I personally think that with drum samples, it is better to create a synthetic sound instead of trying to replace a drummer - use the tools for what they do best. For examples of that look at tracks like Phil Collins In the Air Tonight or Marvin Gaye Sexual Healing to see the wonderful contrast of making the most of each instrument (real kit vs 808).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MitchClark89

21 Mar 2017

Benedict wrote:Hi MC

I think the first thing to consider is what a 'real' drummer would be doing, and then to play/program those timings and feels into the Seq.

To get that, read about what syncopation and ghost hits are and start trying them in the Main Seq. To loosen timing, don't forget the Groove function - just don't overdo it or the timing will disintegrate.

I personally think that with drum samples, it is better to create a synthetic sound instead of trying to replace a drummer - use the tools for what they do best. For examples of that look at tracks like Phil Collins In the Air Tonight or Marvin Gaye Sexual Healing to see the wonderful contrast of making the most of each instrument (real kit vs 808).

:)
hi benedict! thank you for the helpful advice. i have done what you suggested and programmed a kong pattern that has all the sounds i like/want and now i am just experimenting with drawing in the automation for things like velocity to see if i can get a better sounding for my snares like with little hits/mini rolls leading into the 2nd and 4th standard snare hits if u can imagine that. thank you again for the suggestions and help :thumbs_up:

Bloma

21 Mar 2017

You can also use Regroove to spice up static patterns.

MitchClark89

22 Mar 2017

Bloma wrote:You can also use Regroove to spice up static patterns.
this is great tip. i have just in last day or so been experimenting with regroove. it is something i never bothered to look at as i did not understand it and its capabilityes. now i am embarrassed as it is very useful device :oops:

Bloma

22 Mar 2017

Yeah I've barely ever used it, but I know what it does. The awesome thing with Reason is there's lots of cool functions and until you have a reason for using it, you probably don't. What I actually do is play the drums on my midi keyboard, and get a nice feel going, then quantize it partially, say between 50-90%, to retain some of the imperfection.

Bumbum

23 Mar 2017

why not PSQ? for tom and ghost snares :>

MitchClark89

24 Mar 2017

Bumbum wrote:why not PSQ? for tom and ghost snares :>
hello i am not sure what PSQ is can you tell me where i can find more about it?

thank u

edit: sorry i see now it is a RE in the shop. thanks i will have a look at him

• Information