one question about the mixdown process

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MitchClark89

12 Apr 2017

hi everyone :puf_smile:

i love this forum so much. thanks to wonderful advice from the people here i have learned about setting individual tracks and groups etc to peak at -12dbfs (sorry if that is not the correct unit) using the selig gain which has been great for me. i did not know this previously and my gain staging was very bad and impossible to know how to mix it.

since learning this thing i have been going through all my current project and setting meters on every instrument/track/sample etc at the end of the chain to ensure -12db. i have done this and am feeling quite good! now i want to start mixing down.

is there a reference point for the sound of the mixdown that it should be at? for example how loud should i set my drums, guitar, vocal with the volume faders in the SSL? do you know what i mean? i can mix the things until i think they sound good but what am i aiming for? do i want to mix all tracks and still have my master track at -12dbfs ? sorry if this is confusing i am just meaning like what is stop me from pushing all the faders to max "12" and then mix backwards from there? does this make sense? i also have the flower audio meter but have not used it much yet as i have not got to that part yet :(

thank you to all the friends in advance

MC

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2017

How loud a component is in the final mix is entirely a matter of taste based on the impression you want to give, the mood you want to set, the story you want to tell.

As an example when I released this track I got comments that the drums weren't loud enough and even dropped out when played quietly enough. Matter of fact I had dropped the drums in the mix several times as I felt they dominated the melody and even obscured it at the low volumes I hope my music will be played.

I got worried and contacted a very skilled mix engineer who gave me the advice: sure drums could be louder but seeing their role was merely as timekeepers, focusing on the melodic elements was perfectly ok. It was up to me to mix my track as I heard it and present my take. Others may mix my track as EDM but I mixed it as wanted it to be.

Past that the only things to consider are how the mix translates your message on a broad range of systems. I have several systems where I check my mixes: my studio, my home theater, my car, my bedroom, my Bluetooth speaker at work, even buds.

Just remember that everything you add both i) increases overall mix level which cannot exceed 0db peak, ii) every element can mask other elements so you want them to balance as per the above advice.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MitchClark89

14 Apr 2017

Benedict wrote:How loud a component is in the final mix is entirely a matter of taste based on the impression you want to give, the mood you want to set, the story you want to tell.

As an example when I released this track I got comments that the drums weren't loud enough and even dropped out when played quietly enough. Matter of fact I had dropped the drums in the mix several times as I felt they dominated the melody and even obscured it at the low volumes I hope my music will be played.

I got worried and contacted a very skilled mix engineer who gave me the advice: sure drums could be louder but seeing their role was merely as timekeepers, focusing on the melodic elements was perfectly ok. It was up to me to mix my track as I heard it and present my take. Others may mix my track as EDM but I mixed it as wanted it to be.

Past that the only things to consider are how the mix translates your message on a broad range of systems. I have several systems where I check my mixes: my studio, my home theater, my car, my bedroom, my Bluetooth speaker at work, even buds.

Just remember that everything you add both i) increases overall mix level which cannot exceed 0db peak, ii) every element can mask other elements so you want them to balance as per the above advice.

hi benedict thank you for the kind and detailed answer. i understand your points. there is no 'one size' for all music situation. also, i liked listening to your song! yes the drums were quiet but i was very focused for the synths and soundscapes.. it was nice for me :P

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2017

Glad to be of help

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information