House Piano - Adding More Feeling

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

02 May 2017

Hi All!

I've recently been working on a house track and I'm happy with the piano in it, the patch and chords / melody but have been told before, sometimes my sequences lack a humanistic feel or some feeling because I play in bit, then cut and past quantize. The only thing I do, is vary the velocities a little.

What else could I do to add a bit more humanistic feel. People have said use ReGroove mixer before but didn't really think that worked too well but maybe I was applying it wrong, don't know. Any tips on the ReGroove mixer would help.

Moving notes so they aren't exactly on the grid lines may help but not sure how much here, any ideas, a 16th note always makes it sound too early so not sure. You would always bring it forward (as in early if you did move it wouldn't you and not after?).

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Olivier

02 May 2017

Wrong use of quantize can kill the feel. What I like to do is to actually play the entire piece and then use quantize but set it to 10% maximum using the tool window. Better quantize several times on 10%. What ive noticed that helps done people ( i dont know how well you play the keys ) is to dial back the tempo and then record the part. Some people manage to play in time better that way. Just some ideas.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

02 May 2017

Usually when a person strikes multiple keys at once, the notes don't all start at the same time. You can do this by using random quantize in the tool window. 30 ticks usually works pretty well. I find this works better than actually moving the whole chord off the grid, which can sound sloppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creativemind

03 May 2017

Olivier wrote:Wrong use of quantize can kill the feel. What I like to do is to actually play the entire piece and then use quantize but set it to 10% maximum using the tool window. Better quantize several times on 10%. What ive noticed that helps done people ( i dont know how well you play the keys ) is to dial back the tempo and then record the part. Some people manage to play in time better that way. Just some ideas.
What d'ya mean by dial bak the tempo, of the piano itself somehow?

Thanks guys!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EdGrip

03 May 2017

Nah, he means just turn down the BPM of the whole track while you record your piano performance. That way, you'll have more time to think about what you're doing and get it right (more margin for error). Your variations in reaction time will be consistent, but in the context of the track they will be smaller once you've returned to the right BPM.

Olivier

03 May 2017

EdGrip wrote:Nah, he means just turn down the BPM of the whole track while you record your piano performance. That way, you'll have more time to think about what you're doing and get it right (more margin for error). Your variations in reaction time will be consistent, but in the context of the track they will be smaller once you've returned to the right BPM.
This!
Doesn't work for everyone though, but it does for me.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Loque

03 May 2017

I come to a similar conclusion, that sometimes it is not the best idea to quantisize everything. A baseline or a melody can be higly improved and has more feling in it, when you leave it a bit unquantisized or leave the lengths a bit unordered. You may also achieve this, by moving the notes a bit forward or backward, if you have the base melody. A 4on4 must not wlays be used, espcially in house if you need more of a groove feeling.

You can try the groove editor, vary the attack, decay, sustain, release or offset with an LFO. If you use a sequencer device, you may lag the gate signal with a LFO 8works only foward). But the best hint i can give, get your groove, try to play it, than fix only a little bit.
Reason12, Win10

• Information