THOR MkII update request

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
riemac

30 Dec 2015

I wish Propellerhead would update THOR in the next Reason update. Now that Propellerhead has updated the RV-7000 to MkII, why not update THOR next.
I think THOR's semi-modular architecture is great for adding new oscillator- or filter-moduls. THOR is allready a great synth and could be even better with some new modern additions. Even Steinberg updated there synth Retrologue to MkII.

If Propellerhead has not enough own resources to do the update, they could easily contact RE developers who has programmed oscillator- or filter-RE's and make a deal with them. Imagine a Megasaur-Supersaw-Oscillator or the different Primal audio filters as moduls in THOR!

Do you have any suggestions for an update of THOR?

normen

30 Dec 2015

Yeah, Thor and even Kong seem perfect for such updates due to their modularity. +1

Marco Raaphorst

30 Dec 2015

what kind of oscillator? the analog OSC is not too clean, very analog. and the wavetable is the cleanest OSC anyone can imagine. as clean as the OSC's of Ableton Operator.

normen

30 Dec 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:what kind of oscillator? the analog OSC is not too clean, very analog. and the wavetable is the cleanest OSC anyone can imagine. as clean as the OSC's of Ableton Operator.
More wavetables, a string simulation (akin to Sculpture)... Lots of options there.

riemac

30 Dec 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:what kind of oscillator? the analog OSC is not too clean, very analog. and the wavetable is the cleanest OSC anyone can imagine. as clean as the OSC's of Ableton Operator.
Yes, the analog OSC is OK and the wavetable OSC is clean, but there are still things which can be improved or added:

- Stacked/Unison OSC, where you can select the number of voices with detune and stereo spread (like in Sylenth1 or Dune 2). The Multi OSC in Thor sounds very weak and muddy in my ears.

- More newer Wavetables would be nice, even Malström has more wavetables (Maybe a new green Malström OSC in THOR ;-))

- A new modelled Analog OSC, which sounds as good as the one in Diva or Tres.

But in the end I think that newer and better filters with oversampling are also very importand.

selig
RE Developer

30 Dec 2015

I'd love to see the nnxt nano as an oscillator type in Thor, as well as something similar to a Malstrom Osc type. More filter types would also be welcome, but not as necessary IMO. I wish the LFO and env types could be selectable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

riemac

30 Dec 2015

selig wrote:I'd love to see the nnxt nano as an oscillator type in Thor, as well as something similar to a Malstrom Osc type. More filter types would also be welcome, but not as necessary IMO. I wish the LFO and env types could be selectable...
Yes Selig, a nnxt nano OSC is a great idea. Lots of possibilities to load your own waveforms.

Creativemind

04 Jan 2016

selig wrote:I'd love to see the nnxt nano as an oscillator type in Thor, as well as something similar to a Malstrom Osc type. More filter types would also be welcome, but not as necessary IMO. I wish the LFO and env types could be selectable...

What's this exactly mean selig? loading samples into an oscillator?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2016

Imagine even if you had a C3 sample and could spread that across the keyboard. Thor becomes a sample player too.

I'm very much with Selig in this: more modules

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

selig
RE Developer

04 Jan 2016

Creativemind wrote:

What's this exactly mean selig? loading samples into an oscillator?
Imagine an NNXT with Thor's filters, extra oscillators, routing, etc.

Selig Audio, LLC

OverneathTheSkyBridg

16 Jan 2016

Regarding the NN-Nano, I'd love to see a waveform view in the Kong with more intuitive controls for setting loop points, start and stops etc. But before they do any of that they need to make a scalable UI for the Rack, it's way overdue!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Loque

16 Jan 2016

Forget the ADSR sections. Several RE already provide programmable curves with looping for amp and env filter instead static ADSR.

I expect the same for oscilator curves. This is already available in some RE and also will be in the OchenK synth.

And for sure there are CVs to control the values or through the mod matrix.
Reason12, Win10

SebAudio

14 Feb 2016

A great inspiration for new OSCs in Thor II :

eXode

15 Feb 2016

I'd like to see the following changes/updates:

- Polyphonic unison mode with up to 8 voices, stereo spread and detune (like kHs ONE).
- Addition of a NN-19 Osc, or similar, that can load simple multi-sample data.
- Addition of a random modulation source to the MBRS.
- Upsampling/oversampling of the oscillators to further reduce aliasing (esp for audio rate modulation etc).
- Updated/new filters incorporating zero-delay feedback technique to give a better resonance response (esp for self-oscillation), etc.
- Upsampling/oversampling of the shaper to further reduce aliasing.

Probably some other things that I can't remember right now. :)

submonsterz

15 Feb 2016

Maybe leave thor as is and just take all the best bits from all ready there stock devices add/incorporate the wants and ideas of people on various devices and just make a new super mashed synth as a stock device . Thus giving the best bits of the old and the new wanted things.
I think a rethink on something new would bare more fruit in the end .

riemac

16 Feb 2016

eXode wrote:I'd like to see the following changes/updates:

- Polyphonic unison mode with up to 8 voices, stereo spread and detune (like kHs ONE).
- Addition of a NN-19 Osc, or similar, that can load simple multi-sample data.
- Addition of a random modulation source to the MBRS.
- Upsampling/oversampling of the oscillators to further reduce aliasing (esp for audio rate modulation etc).
- Updated/new filters incorporating zero-delay feedback technique to give a better resonance response (esp for self-oscillation), etc.
- Upsampling/oversampling of the shaper to further reduce aliasing.

Probably some other things that I can't remember right now. :)
This would be very good additions to a Thor Update MkII.

riemac

16 Feb 2016

SebAudio wrote:A great inspiration for new OSCs in Thor II :
This oscillator is great. Endless possibilities and inspiration for additional Thor oscillators.

dioxide

18 Mar 2016

Add a fourth oscillator! And allow RE devs to create filter and oscillators for Thor. Who wouldn't want to use those Primal Audio filters in Thor? Oh yeah and Subtractor/Malstrom Oscillators.

riemac

18 Mar 2016

dioxide wrote:Add a fourth oscillator! And allow RE devs to create filter and oscillators for Thor. Who wouldn't want to use those Primal Audio filters in Thor? Oh yeah and Subtractor/Malstrom Oscillators.
Exactly my thought. Why not open up Thor for RE developers. I made this sugestion on the old PUF and called it Thor Extensions.

Yonatan

23 Mar 2016

I have not used Thor much all. Now I feel inspired to see what can be made with it.
How do you use the audio in? Give me some suggestion or hints.
Anyone used it for voice processing?

Vince-Noir-99

23 Mar 2016

Yonatan wrote:I have not used Thor much all. Now I feel inspired to see what can be made with it.
How do you use the audio in? Give me some suggestion or hints.
Anyone used it for voice processing?
Yes! :thumbs_up: It's nice to process a voice by multiplying it with any of the various oscillators, including noise. Not just AM, but also FM or filter FM. If the osc is tuned with the voice, receiving pitch from, say, Neptune, it's even more interesting. Try different octaves!

Also, the waveshaper in Thor is pretty amazing, and its drive knob does strange things depending on the selected transfer function.

Let me know what you came up with! :puf_smile:

Creativemind

28 Mar 2016

Some great suggestions here.

I like the 'opening up the oscillators to Re developers' idea, the 'NN-Nano' oscillator idea and the oscillator idea in the video.

Also a good feature for a Thor MkII would be a 'chord' feature like you have on Rob Papen Predator. It allows you play a chord or a range of notes on one key. On Predator you can do this in 2 ways. 1) Play a chord and then it assigns that chord to one key or 2) You hit a button, play succession of individual notes on your midi controller and then hit the button again, and it will then play all the individual notes together as one, on one key up and down your midi controller keyboard. Great idea. Great for ravey sounding stuff.

Also, what about an oscillator that allows drawing in of your own waveforms? and I know we have the RV7000 but what about Thor having it's own reverb with a few settings, although it's quite simple to add an RV7000 isn't it.

Another good idea would be 2 little windows which could show you filter and amp envelope ADSR patterns, also with points on the patterns to adjust the ADSR via the pattern as well.

The_G

28 Mar 2016

Why not update Subtractor or Maestrom first? Those seem more urgent to me--especially Subtractor.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

riemac

28 Mar 2016

The_G wrote:Why not update Subtractor or Maestrom first? Those seem more urgent to me--especially Subtractor.
I think Thor has more potential for an update, because it's modular and it could become one of the best synths out there with little improvements.

Creativemind

29 Mar 2016

riemac wrote:
The_G wrote:Why not update Subtractor or Maestrom first? Those seem more urgent to me--especially Subtractor.
I think Thor has more potential for an update, because it's modular and it could become one of the best synths out there with little improvements.
Yeah, Thor could be one of the best synths on the planet with a 4th oscillator and all of the above features.

• Information