New Redrum Design

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
qoreybeats

31 Jul 2016

I love the Redrum but I think it's time to revamp it for modern producers. I think it should have a better sequencer like Fl Studio for creating patterns. I attached images below to show what I mean for the step sequencer. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 11.01.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 11.01.24 AM.png (542.19 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (20.06 KiB) Viewed 3096 times

tibah

31 Jul 2016

The thing about RE sequencers like e.g. Propulsion is to give a better way of interacting with a device like Redrum, so you can always get that and "enhance" your Redrum experience. But in all honesty, Redrum is a *classic* design and I simply adore it for what it is. :)

fieldframe
RE Developer

31 Jul 2016

I don't really see the appeal of these 'big grid' drum sequencers when you can get the same interface in the actual sequencer. Set loop points, hit play, and start drawing things in with the pencil tool.

Creativemind

01 Aug 2016

I have thought something similar many times. I don't think it needs redesigning as such, just needs an arrow to click for a drop down at the bottom (like you can with Kong and Dr.Octo.Rex) which opens up the Redrum. Then you could have the ability to see all 10 drums stacked above each other. Also the ability (although it would be very long) to see all 64 drum steps at once if need be.

Also (and yes I know you can do this with the Regroove Mixer) slide knobs (if that's the right term) to slighty shift the hits to give it a more human feel. Slides by ticks like the Regroove mixer. One for every drum lane.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2016

If there was a Rack Extension with all of the above mentioned I would try and buy it! Then Again tickTick is an excellent Add on for ReDrum and Kong. The Only thing that I don't like about Kong is not being able to program the modules inside a combinator maybe that could get a revamp instead!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Skullture

01 Aug 2016

Ew ew ew. The FL drum sequencer is the worst looking drum sequencer of all time. Ew. Bad example.

jonheal

01 Aug 2016

Skullture wrote:Ew ew ew. The FL drum sequencer is the worst looking drum sequencer of all time. Ew. Bad example.
Tell us how you really feel. :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

qoreybeats

01 Aug 2016

Skullture wrote:Ew ew ew. The FL drum sequencer is the worst looking drum sequencer of all time. Ew. Bad example.
Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2985 times

Skullture

01 Aug 2016

jonheal wrote:
Redrum is freaking perfect as it is. But I'm only saying this because I've been using this design for 10 years straight now. So, I think the kids want something more flashy these days. :geek:
qoreybeats wrote:
I love Jon Stewart! :D

qoreybeats

01 Aug 2016

Skullture wrote:
jonheal wrote:
Redrum is freaking perfect as it is. But I'm only saying this because I've been using this design for 10 years straight now. So, I think the kids want something more flashy these days. :geek:
qoreybeats wrote:
I'm not tryna make old man beats, FL got the wave for the youth because it caters to the new generation of producers like Mikewillmadeit, Metro Boomin, Wondagurl etc. We need an update to Redrum, nothing is perfect.

tibah

01 Aug 2016

So, you don't want to buy a RE that gives you exactly what you want, like Tick Tick or Propulsion, but rather wait for PH to upgrade the device itself, which may or may not be part of a paid upgrade.

And simply going to the sequencer, which takes like a millisecond if you hit shift+tab...

Which gives you the same exact input of drum programming, cause it's set to 1/16 by default.

Well, time to be like the cool guys and use FL I guess, since this is really just for old man. ;)

qoreybeats

01 Aug 2016

tibah wrote:So, you don't want to buy a RE that gives you exactly what you want, like Tick Tick or Propulsion, but rather wait for PH to upgrade the device itself, which may or may not be part of a paid upgrade.

And simply going to the sequencer, which takes like a millisecond if you hit shift+tab...

Which gives you the same exact input of drum programming, cause it's set to 1/16 by default.

Well, time to be like the cool guys and use FL I guess, since this is really just for old man. ;)
Tick Tick only works with Kong & Propulsion doesn't let you copy pattern to track. My point is the Redrum is good but it could be great if it had a better pattern sequencer in the rack. I produce mainly hip hop tracks so it's all about that bounce :cool:

tibah

01 Aug 2016

qoreybeats wrote:
tibah wrote:So, you don't want to buy a RE that gives you exactly what you want, like Tick Tick or Propulsion, but rather wait for PH to upgrade the device itself, which may or may not be part of a paid upgrade.

Tick Tick only works with Kong & Propulsion doesn't let you copy pattern to track. My point is the Redrum is good but it could be great if it had a better pattern sequencer in the rack. I produce mainly hip hop tracks so it's all about that bounce :cool:
Tick Tick works fine with Redrum. Simply gate and note CV outs. You can hook that up to anything in Reason that offers gate and CV inputs, really. Both Kong and Propulsion don't have copy pattern to track, but with the new players there are some ways to make them "transfer" that information into the sequencer as well.

That "bounce", you know ReGroove can help you with that as well... it's a sequencer tool though. ;)

dzxl88

01 Aug 2016

Good post! I've been waiting for something like this myself. I'm actually hoping that they make a drum machine that requires no routing in order to create individual mix channels. I don't like how cluttered my drum rack looks on my 15" MBP. I know how to do it through cable routing using Kong and Redrum. Maybe if we can put mix channels in a single combinator.
Kong Combinator with drop down sequencer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2016

dzxl88 wrote:Good post! I've been waiting for something like this myself. I'm actually hoping that they make a drum machine that requires no routing in order to create individual mix channels. I don't like how cluttered my drum rack looks on my 15" MBP. I know how to do it through cable routing using Kong and Redrum. Maybe if we can put mix channels in a single combinator.
Wha??? Do you mean like the way Kong ReDrum currently has level and bus channels built into them :?: That little arrow at the side has a purpose among reducing a device to a single slither improving performance it also de-clutters the rack.

Are your being satirical?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jonheal

01 Aug 2016

qoreybeats wrote:
Skullture wrote:
jonheal wrote:
qoreybeats wrote:
I'm not tryna make old man beats, FL got the wave for the youth because it caters to the new generation of producers like Mikewillmadeit, Metro Boomin, Wondagurl etc. We need an update to Redrum, nothing is perfect.
FL Studio looked better before they vectorized it.

Old man beats, eh? GET OFF MY YARD!!!!!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

kuhliloach

01 Aug 2016

The old Red Rum should be left alone, I agree, but an MKII version with more features would be welcome. It's important to give the FL type beat makers something good to chew on. Grid based production isn't going anywhere, though not my personal favorite. The sequencer is a fine place to bang out beats as mentioned above. But just think what overall smarter browsing system in Reason could do for the existing Redrum -- such as a tagging system for all your samples and smart ways to rate and sort them.

dzxl88

01 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:
dzxl88 wrote:Good post! I've been waiting for something like this myself. I'm actually hoping that they make a drum machine that requires no routing in order to create individual mix channels. I don't like how cluttered my drum rack looks on my 15" MBP. I know how to do it through cable routing using Kong and Redrum. Maybe if we can put mix channels in a single combinator.
Wha??? Do you mean like the way Kong ReDrum currently has level and bus channels built into them :?: That little arrow at the side has a purpose among reducing a device to a single slither improving performance it also de-clutters the rack.

Are your being satirical?
The level and bus channels are okay within redrum/kong. But It creates one channel for all instruments in the SSL mixer. I like my drums in mono so re routing my drums to its own channel while keeping it in redrum works for me. But when you have to do something like this picture
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3508.JPG (72.84 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
. I feel it takes up to much space on the rack if you notice the picture it's 8 mixer tracks with redrum take up majority of screenshot. That is what it looks like on my 15" screen. Mix channels in one combinator routed like this is all I'm asking for. Hopefully this makes sense...

tt_lab

02 Aug 2016

qoreybeats wrote:I'm not tryna make old man beats, FL got the wave for the youth because it caters to the new generation of producers like Mikewillmadeit, Metro Boomin, Wondagurl etc. We need an update to Redrum, nothing is perfect.
Yeah, but they don't use the sequencer, mainly they use the piano roll, and I think there is where reason lacks against FL, not in the sequencer itself. FL has a lot of options and modifiers to for example divide a long note, fill 4 bars with 1/8ths and so on...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2016

qoreybeats wrote:
Propulsion doesn't let you copy pattern to track. :cool:
Since Reason 7 anything that has a CV/Gate out can be copied to track, it only takes 30 seconds to setup a midi loopback (and if setting that up is a hardship, save the setup in your default template)...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2016

dzxl88 wrote:
The level and bus channels are okay within redrum/kong. But It creates one channel for all instruments in the SSL mixer. I like my drums in mono so re routing my drums to its own channel while keeping it in redrum works for me. But when you have to do something like this picture
IMG_3508.JPG
. I feel it takes up to much space on the rack if you notice the picture it's 8 mixer tracks with redrum take up majority of screenshot. That is what it looks like on my 15" screen. Mix channels in one combinator routed like this is all I'm asking for. Hopefully this makes sense...
But as some has pointed out that little arrow can collapse it down even more.. and if you feel like they are getting in the way then just move them to another column and don't scroll to that column so you don't have to see them !
Last edited by Carly(Poohbear) on 02 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

dzxl88

02 Aug 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
dzxl88 wrote:
IMG_3508.JPG
But as some has pointed out that little arrow can collapse it down even more.. and if you feel like they are getting in the way then just move them to another column and don't scroll to that column some you don't have to see them !
Yeah I thought about that actually after I thought about a work around some more. Thanks

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2016

dzxl88 wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
But as some has pointed out that little arrow can collapse it down even more.. and if you feel like they are getting in the way then just move them to another column and don't scroll to that column some you don't have to see them !
Yeah I thought about that actually after I thought about a work around some more. Thanks
Small tip, if you do move them to another column don't forget that holding down the Alt Key while clicking on that little Arrow will collapse\expand all items in that column..

dzxl88

02 Aug 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
dzxl88 wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
Small tip, if you do move them to another column don't forget that holding down the Alt Key while clicking on that little Arrow will collapse\expand all items in that column..
Didn't know this thank you again...wish we could up vote on this.

AttenuationHz

02 Aug 2016

dzxl88 wrote:
The level and bus channels are okay within redrum/kong. But It creates one channel for all instruments in the SSL mixer. I like my drums in mono so re routing my drums to its own channel while keeping it in redrum works for me. But when you have to do something like this picture. I feel it takes up to much space on the rack if you notice the picture it's 8 mixer tracks with redrum take up majority of screenshot. That is what it looks like on my 15" screen. Mix channels in one combinator routed like this is all I'm asking for. Hopefully this makes sense...
Now your confusing me. Why not just use the Line Mixer 6:2 then. How do feel about Thor? That takes up the space of 9 mix channels. If you add a drop down to Kong or ReDrum its going to take up even more space! Sounds like you'd be happier with the aesthetics if they didn't exist.

UpVote.gif
UpVote.gif (19.42 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

• Information