The FIRST RED 70 Synth post

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
riemac

20 Aug 2015

bsp wrote:Tried it out briefly. It's definitely a nice sounding synth with a reasonable price.

Some suggestions:
  • "Velocity" modulation source: Note-offs should not affect the modulation input value. (or maybe add another "Note-On velocity" modulation source ?)
  • Increase number of voices from 8 to 16 (why not?)
  • Unison should work with polyphonic sounds, too. Instead of just "on" and "off", maybe add another "polyphonic" unison mode in which the voice count widget ("voices:") determines the number of unison voices per note and the actual max voice count is always 8 (or 16..) ?
    (i.e. clicking the "unison" button would cycle through ["off", "unison mono", "unison poly"], maybe indicate poly unison by a different color)
How is it CPU wise?

Dance FX 21

20 Aug 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:
JCaesar wrote:I hope this isn't just me...but I dropped this into a few of my tracks, and it sounds hideously out of tune...

Yeah - I can see the Master Tune knob, but still....

If I try something else...Ivoks for example - it's fine, back in tune - I'm confused :|
LOL, you're right! Turning master tune to 0 sounds better. It's still one octave too low then - but with Rob Papen's synths its the same ;) .
Is the master tune control bi-polar or uni-polar - if it's the latter, it has to be a mistake that will be corrected I guess...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bsp

20 Aug 2015

How is it CPU wise?
can't complain. 7 instances with an 8 voice unison patch (=56 voices) take 1 DSP bar. the 8th instance will increase it to two bars
(on an i7 4770 @ 3.4 GHz).

JoshuaPhilgarlic

20 Aug 2015

Dance FX 21 wrote:Is the master tune control bi-polar or uni-polar - if it's the latter, it has to be a mistake that will be corrected I guess...
Well, it depends :D ... It's probably meant bipolar, 'cause its default setting is at 12 o'clock. But as this value sounds detuned, the knob has to be turned all to the left at 0 to be in tune. So, at the moment its unipolar with a wrong default setting :ugeek: .

Faastwalker

20 Aug 2015

Just noticed the tuning thing myself. That has to be a mistake surely? The default position is wrong. It's looks about half a semitone out. If you play a C with the tuning set to zero you get a C. If you play a C with it at 127 you get a C#. The default position of 64 gives you half way between C & C#. Is that a 1/4 tone out? (my music theory is not up to much!).

But aside from this I really like this thing so far. I wasn't sure about the colour & the GUI looked odd. but in the rack it makes more sense, especially sitting next to Ivoks. Has there been a more pure analogue sounding Reason synth since Ivoks? I don't think so. It sounds great if you want a pure (virtual) analogue tone. I'm not exactly sure what the Filter X thing is doing but it adds some really nice qualities to the sound.

For $49 I may have to pull the trigger. It sounds great & like Ivoks is easy & fun to dive into & dial in sounds. Gorgeous.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

20 Aug 2015

Faastwalker wrote:I'm not exactly sure what the Filter X thing is doing but it adds some really nice qualities to the sound.
The Filter X is an additional filter sitting before the main filter. With the switch you can select the part of the sound to be treated. So you can for instance highpass Osc 1 before going to the main filter, but leave Osc 2 untreated. The designer of RED 70 had some weird ideas, and that's what makes this thing so interesting :) !

Shokstar

20 Aug 2015

I´m still waiting a for Graintable or Physical modelling Synth.

TheMiles

20 Aug 2015

Could be my ears, but I really like the sound of this synth. Warm and gritty, very pleasant...

eXode

20 Aug 2015

I like the sound too. I also like the fact that PAN SPREAD and DETUNE work even when not in unison mode, for naturally panned and slightly detuned chords.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

20 Aug 2015

eXode wrote:I like the sound too. I also like the fact that PAN SPREAD and DETUNE work even when not in unison mode, for naturally panned and slightly detuned chords.
Agree. Pan Spread gives some kind of random panning, and detune can be used as 'oscillator drift' ;) !

But what I don't like at all: LFO 1 (the synced one) has a minimum rate of 1/2. That's way too fast for many reasonable uses!!!

eusti

20 Aug 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:
eXode wrote:I like the sound too. I also like the fact that PAN SPREAD and DETUNE work even when not in unison mode, for naturally panned and slightly detuned chords.
Agree. Pan Spread gives some kind of random panning, and detune can be used as 'oscillator drift' ;) !

But what I don't like at all: LFO 1 (the synced one) has a minimum rate of 1/2. That's way too fast for many reasonable uses!!!
Maybe you can convince RedRock to change that as there needs to be an update for the master tune issue anyway... ;)

D.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

20 Aug 2015

eusti wrote:
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:

Maybe you can convince RedRock to change that as there needs to be an update for the master tune issue anyway... ;)

D.
I already sent a mail to the developer ;) .

eusti

20 Aug 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: I already sent a mail to the developer ;) .
Love it! :)

D.

riemac

20 Aug 2015

bsp wrote:
How is it CPU wise?
can't complain. 7 instances with an 8 voice unison patch (=56 voices) take 1 DSP bar. the 8th instance will increase it to two bars
Are all 7 instances playing? I ask because I've got a i7 aswell and only one instance uses one bar alone.
Sometimes I think my pc is not as powerfull as others with the same cpu.
Any ideas?

riemac

20 Aug 2015

The sound of the oscillators and filters is very good and analog. The sound, look and layout of red rembers me on my virus a and that is a great compliment.

CaptainBlack

20 Aug 2015

I've got analog synths coming out of my ears. I just don't need another one that makes sounds over 30 years old.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

20 Aug 2015

Shokstar wrote:I´m still waiting a for Graintable or Physical modelling Synth.
CaptainBlack wrote:I've got analog synths coming out of my ears. I just don't need another one that makes sounds over 30 years old.
Cool, so make your own thread about that :puf_bigsmile: !

zeebot

20 Aug 2015

CaptainBlack wrote:I've got analog synths coming out of my ears. I just don't need another one that makes sounds over 30 years old.
This is true I guess, not sure what this Re brings to the table that we haven't seen before but for new users to reason it may be a less expensive option if they are looking to get into the Re market and want an old school sound.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

pjeudy

20 Aug 2015

Some good news in the sound, can't wait to play with it soon!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Ostermilk

20 Aug 2015

The FIRST RED 70 Synth link to the product in the shop?

:lol:

frog974new

20 Aug 2015

this synth its a pure analog feeling .. :)

bsp

20 Aug 2015

riemac wrote:
bsp wrote:
How is it CPU wise?
Are all 7 instances playing? I ask because I've got a i7 aswell and only one instance uses one bar alone.
Any ideas?
All 7 instances were playing. One instance alone shows 1 DSP bar on my machine as well -- the DSP load display is a bit misleading I guess.
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:But what I don't like at all: LFO 1 (the synced one) has a minimum rate of 1/2. That's way too fast for many reasonable uses!!!
+1 for slower LFO 1. It would also be useful if LFO 1 tempo sync could be switched off (LFO key sync on/off would be nice, too).

Another thing: How is it possible to control the vibrato speed ? There's only a vibrato (amount) mod target !?

pjeudy

20 Aug 2015

frog974new wrote:this synth its a pure analog feeling .. :)
Agreed. I think it sounds very good. I'm in the process of comparing it to the Polysix.....with and eye on the Monopoly which is the same price as R70.
But I really dig the sounds of this synth.

I will have to except this synth as the developer RED ROCK envisioned it but...I would of loved to be able to set the level of the wave types independent'y...you can mix them sure, but you have no control on there individual levels. Having said that , you can still come up with some cool sounds for it !
AND IT SOUNDS FANTASTIC !!! :clap:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

frog974new

20 Aug 2015

bsp wrote:
riemac wrote:
bsp wrote:
How is it CPU wise?
Any ideas?
All 7 instances were playing. One instance alone shows 1 DSP bar on my machine as well -- the DSP load display is a bit misleading I guess.
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:But what I don't like at all: LFO 1 (the synced one) has a minimum rate of 1/2. That's way too fast for many reasonable uses!!!
+1 for slower LFO 1. It would also be useful if LFO 1 tempo sync could be switched off (LFO key sync on/off would be nice, too).

Another thing: How is it possible to control the vibrato speed ? There's only a vibrato (amount) mod target !?
The way i see those built in Lfo
Lfo 1 is more for rythm pulse modulation for one mesure that's why 1/2 rate is the minimum
Lfo 2 , for classic lfo modulation like as a slow or speed modulation ( vibrato or wha-wha effect )
don't forget we can use CV input for complex Lfo ;)

Faastwalker

20 Aug 2015

pjeudy wrote:I would of loved to be able to set the level of the wave types independent'y...you can mix them sure, but you have no control on there individual levels. Having said that , you can still come up with some cool sounds for it !
AND IT SOUNDS FANTASTIC !!! :clap:
I was just thinking this myself. Still, it's a minor gripe as it does sound very nice as is. Hope the tuning thing gets rectified though. It definitely not right ........ Surely not?!

• Information