PSQ-1684 - In the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
FiatLux

10 Feb 2016

Are there any Combinator patches included to give examples of its possibilities?

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Feb 2016

FiatLux wrote:Are there any Combinator patches included to give examples of its possibilities?
No combinator patches in this release.

Loque

10 Feb 2016

59€? Holy moly! Impress me when i try...
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

10 Feb 2016

Release day, no videos, no sounds examples. Comes off as half-assed (as far as marketing goes) and rushed out the door if you ask me, my two cents.

chimp_spanner

10 Feb 2016

I guess it's in line with the price of Propulsion and Korde, although I'll have to wait until next month as I've gone rack crazy this month haha. It's like crack I tell you. CRACK.

Okay so this thing is pretty deep! I've only just scratched the surface with it but I guess the key is just to experiment. Start simple and introduce more variations, more layers.

It would be nice for it to come with a little more content; perhaps a starter combinator with a simple drum, bass and synth setup would be useful, although following the quick start pretty much tells you all you need to know. I imagine a fair amount of work went into the actual device, so this stuff can come later. As a sound designer (sometimes) I think the generative possibilities of this thing are pretty exciting, so I'm assuming it'll pay for itself once I've got it!

Tincture

10 Feb 2016

I'm looking forward to the video and news from those trying it on what they've used it for. It looks like a great tool to me... But I would like to have more of an idea of its applications. Just hope it's not like having invented the soldering iron 50 years before the introduction of electrics.

Vyckeil

10 Feb 2016

Loque wrote:59€? Holy moly! Impress me when i try...
I consider Lectric Panda as a Top Tier Reason dev. Not only does his plugs work wonderfully, but he completely understands the Reason mindset and doesn't just "port VSTs" into a RE format, quite the opposite in fact. He creates unique tools that complement Reason very well, provided you understand CVs and take the time to read the manual. You might not like the pricing or the seemingly lack of features of certain devices, but there's no way around it: If you want those functions in Reason his plugs provide, there are no better alternatives, and they work surprisingly well.

Faastwalker

10 Feb 2016

Ouch! $83 (AUS). Been hanging for this one but somewhat embarrassed to admit that on release day that I can't actually afford this one at the moment :(
Last edited by Faastwalker on 11 Feb 2016, edited 3 times in total.

chimp_spanner

10 Feb 2016

Quick question for you rcbuse; what are the correct settings to just get a 4/4 kick starting on the 1st beat? I tend to get different results if I stop and start the playback. Just trying to build a basic groovebox type setup.

Edit - oh wait, got it. Set down to "Down".

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Feb 2016

MannequinRaces wrote:Release day, no videos, no sounds examples. Comes off as half-assed (as far as marketing goes) and rushed out the door if you ask me, my two cents.
Yea, I won't disagree with what you are saying. I rushed it out to the shop without making videos. The biggest thing for me was to finish the manual before release. This device is a bit of an oddball, just because there are so many different ways you can hook it up. It will be easier if I make videos in parallel with all the example combinator patches, and thats going to take some time. So the choice was, keep it wrapped up and make patches and videos for 3-4 weeks, or just release it and let people at it.

MannequinRaces

10 Feb 2016

rcbuse wrote:
MannequinRaces wrote:Release day, no videos, no sounds examples. Comes off as half-assed (as far as marketing goes) and rushed out the door if you ask me, my two cents.
Yea, I won't disagree with what you are saying. I rushed it out to the shop without making videos. The biggest thing for me was to finish the manual before release. This device is a bit of an oddball, just because there are so many different ways you can hook it up. It will be easier if I make videos in parallel with all the example combinator patches, and thats going to take some time. So the choice was, keep it wrapped up and make patches and videos for 3-4 weeks, or just release it and let people at it.
As your creative lovechild I can understand you wanting it out in the wild. So the people going at it now for 30 days have to go by the manual and nothing else... from a support perspective for PSQ, won't you get bothered more in the next 3-4 weeks than if videos and combis / patches would have been done? I love the REs I own of yours (Korde, Shape, Propulsion) and I bought them all because of what the videos showed me I could do with them! I am chomping at the bit to try this out but am going to be patient and wait a bit longer before I do. :)

Juan Rosa

10 Feb 2016

Any video ?

Faastwalker

10 Feb 2016

Juan Rosa wrote:Any video ?
Had a heads up from a Reason FB page that ReasonExperts is doing a video. Nothing confirmed but this guy is extremely prolific with demo video of RE's so fingers crossed.

dvdrtldg

10 Feb 2016

Faastwalker wrote:Ouch! $83 (AUS)
Sucks eh

Still, I might buy it soon in case the Aussie peso tanks even further

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Feb 2016

MannequinRaces wrote: As your creative lovechild I can understand you wanting it out in the wild. So the people going at it now for 30 days have to go by the manual and nothing else... from a support perspective for PSQ, won't you get bothered more in the next 3-4 weeks than if videos and combis / patches would have been done?
Meh. I really don't expect this device to be a huge seller. It fills a niche of a niche. I imagine most people buying it already know what it is based on the eurorack modules that inspired it. I will eventually make video but its not going to show the depth. Like when you watch videos of people using modulars you hear lots of crazy sounds and someone turning knobs, but are mostly like, no idea wtf that knob is effecting. The only way to really get into it is to sit down with the manual and walk though everything, and try things out.

MannequinRaces

10 Feb 2016

rcbuse wrote:
MannequinRaces wrote: As your creative lovechild I can understand you wanting it out in the wild. So the people going at it now for 30 days have to go by the manual and nothing else... from a support perspective for PSQ, won't you get bothered more in the next 3-4 weeks than if videos and combis / patches would have been done?
Meh. I really don't expect this device to be a huge seller. It fills a niche of a niche. I imagine most people buying it already know what it is based on the eurorack modules that inspired it. I will eventually make video but its not going to show the depth. Like when you watch videos of people using modulars you hear lots of crazy sounds and someone turning knobs, but are mostly like, no idea wtf that knob is effecting. The only way to really get into it is to sit down with the manual and walk though everything, and try things out.
I hope you're wrong and that sales exceed your expectations. However, I beg to differ that the people buying this know what eurorack modules inspired it! Could be way off base, but I don't know many Reason users that also have a killer hardware modular. I fell in love more with Reason, CV, and its modularity after watching I Dream of Wires. Then I started pricing out different hardware modules and said "I'll stick to software." Rack Extensions like this one give us Reason users who can't afford our own modular hardware reason to get excited!! I really hope it sells well and I hope to see more inspired REs from you along these lines, because again, it's software and it's in Reason. :) I think I will take your advice, dive in, and try it out.

MannequinRaces

10 Feb 2016

You're right LectricPanda... :) After trying this for about 15 minutes, reading the manual while tinkering with PSQ-1684, the mind expands and starts to unfurl its secrets. I'm liking this a lot!! Still would be cool to see some combis in an update.

MDTerps2015

11 Feb 2016

If i went to school for four years and applied for a sixth or eighth, i still wouldnt understand this. Too complicated and if music needs something like this then i need to get out.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Leighbeater

11 Feb 2016

this is serious fun!!

Use a couple of FM pair osc in Thor, grab a pular to LFO the filter

set the Move to random, turn the knobs on the seq in anyway you want, set the range you want.. sounds so cool!!

Favourite RE for a long time

Once i get paid next week will be buying, please make more RE's like this based on crazy Modular because like lots of people cannot afford the hardware

thanks for making it

normen

11 Feb 2016

Hm, somehow the sync mode doesn't do what I expect, it seems like the beat I program is always 3 16ths behind.

A bass drum triggered by division 4 and a snare drum triggered by division 8 (both up) should result in a back beat, no? It does effectively but in the sequencer timeline its 3 16ths behind.. What am I missing here?

rcbuse
RE Developer

11 Feb 2016

normen wrote:Hm, somehow the sync mode doesn't do what I expect, it seems like the beat I program is always 3 16ths behind.

A bass drum triggered by division 4 and a snare drum triggered by division 8 (both up) should result in a back beat, no? It does effectively but in the sequencer timeline its 3 16ths behind.. What am I missing here?
Try having your divisors count down instead of up.

normen

11 Feb 2016

rcbuse wrote:Try having your divisors count down instead of up.
Right, and then for the snare I have to set the delay to 4, that results in a backbeat.

Olivier

11 Feb 2016

About the quantizer, any chance you might consider having the notes assignable through note messages ?
For example, create a track for PSQ-1684, notes pressed on octave one will set selected notes on Q1, octave 2 for Q2 etc ? This way the quantizer can easily be played through note clips..
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

rcbuse
RE Developer

11 Feb 2016

eauhm wrote:About the quantizer, any chance you might consider having the notes assignable through note messages ?
For example, create a track for PSQ-1684, notes pressed on octave one will set selected notes on Q1, octave 2 for Q2 etc ? This way the quantizer can easily be played through note clips..
Yea, I would expect that to be in the first update.

Tincture

11 Feb 2016

My propellerheads sign in name is tincture, if you give me a 50% discount I will buy all that you have (have the screen things. Won't do 4 x 59 tho'. Sorry £240 for cv... only.... no. £120 yes, they are good. Feckin shite... I'll buy it really

• Information