ART's Tape Setting

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
FrankJaeger

27 Dec 2015

I'm only just realizing how useful the Tape setting is on ART. I've been using it on nearly everything (different transform amounts and wetness) and only good things come from it. It has become my most useful sound shaping tool aside from eq. For Hip-Hop beats it adds a warmness to the sound that I have yet to be able to match any other way. If you haven't been using it, it's really worth a shot.

Just trying to share the fun... :D
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

doctecazoid

27 Dec 2015

Re this ART you speak of - I must be an idiot because I know not what this sound shaping tool is that you refer to. Can you please provide a link to the tool with some info on it? Thanks.

Yonatan

27 Dec 2015

Audiomatic Retro Transformera by Propellerheads
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/audiomatic/

I upgraded to Reason 8 from 7 so I already had Audiomatic,
but being on earlier versions you do get so so much if upgrading,
it´s hard for me to understand those still on earlier versions than 6.5.

I also love Audiomatic tape (as well as a few other settings)
and use it in some way or another in every single project.
It´s pro class.

Half of my excitement with being on the Reason bandwagon is to see what
come around the next corner from Propellerheads. Only wish it could come
even more often from them, but they do make it with quality.
Last edited by Yonatan on 27 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

JNeffLind

27 Dec 2015

Audiomatic Retro Transformer. It's a go-to for me as well. I feel like it gets ignored a lot because it doesn't provide a ton of control like most compressors do with lots of different parameters to tweak, but I use it a lot as an easy way to adjust a sound. I end up using the tape, bright, bottom, hi-fi, and spread functions quite frequently.

Yonatan

27 Dec 2015

Yes, its a bit neglected in the discussion forum, but so are most of the effects that many has as standard,
as the same with tools we use so much that we almost forget about them. So I think its used a lot.
All these tools that makes the sound sculpting easier is worth so much. A lot can be done in Reason
because of its conectedness, but the simplicity like this device, is what could draw more users to Reason.
It was inspired by Instagram and Apple filter type of user friendliness and I believe that is a good way to go.
I love to have control, but some things are so well put together that just a few knobs is what it takes.

Selig (one of the co-creators) made and shared a very nice combinator where the Vinyl-option had no scratch-noises. Look it up if you have not.

EnochLight

27 Dec 2015

Yonatan wrote:Selig (one of the co-creators) made and shared a very nice combinator where the Vinyl-option had no scratch-noises. Look it up if you have not.
To clarify, Selig was not a co-creator of ART. That was all Propellerhead.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

craven

27 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Yonatan wrote:Selig (one of the co-creators) made and shared a very nice combinator where the Vinyl-option had no scratch-noises. Look it up if you have not.
but as I understood it, Selig made the vinyl patch (and maybe others - tape? I forgot) for the ART - so in a way, he is a co-creator
:ugeek:

FrankJaeger

27 Dec 2015

craven wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
but as I understood it, Selig made the vinyl patch (and maybe others - tape? I forgot) for the ART - so in a way, he is a co-creator
I don't if Selig created the vinyl patch or not but it's another good one. And I need to find the crackleless version as well as that is my only gripe with it.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

EnochLight

27 Dec 2015

craven wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Well sure - but by that logic we're all "co-creator" of any Combi we make with someone else's device. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

27 Dec 2015

I created Tape and Wash but not Vinyl. Don't know what title I should have for that since each one I can think of has more than one meaning and there are folks who would argue (and have argued) against any of them. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

craven

27 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote: Well sure - but by that logic we're all "co-creator" of any Combi we make with someone else's device. ;)
I think regarding ART it's a bit different - but since Selig didn't do that vinyl patch anyway, I'll stop digressing. I thought he made the original patch as well.

To the OP:
Here's Selig's vinyl patch without scratches/crackles:
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7276607
:ugeek:

eusti

27 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote: Well sure - but by that logic we're all "co-creator" of any Combi we make with someone else's device. ;)
I think we learned at some point that he was actually (among other people) creating some of the ART presets for Propellerhead.
He then recreated some of them to share with us via combinators. So, I would think it would be fair to say that he was the creator of those settings, patches...

D.

EnochLight

27 Dec 2015

selig wrote:I created Tape and Wash but not Vinyl./quote]
eusti wrote:I think we learned at some point that he was actually (among other people) creating some of the ART presets for Propellerhead..
Wait, what? Strange. Having been a part of ART's beta test just like Selig, I have no recollection of this. :shock: Those presets were there from the very beginning. Must have done it behind the scenes?

selig
RE Developer

27 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:
selig wrote:I created Tape and Wash but not Vinyl./quote]
eusti wrote:I think we learned at some point that he was actually (among other people) creating some of the ART presets for Propellerhead..
Wait, what? Strange. Having been a part of ART's beta test just like Selig, I have no recollection of this. :shock: Those presets were there from the very beginning. Must have done it behind the scenes?
There was a small group of folks who had worked on other Props projects who were asked to work with the development software and create "presets" for ART. I submitted many patches but only two of mine where chosen in the end. I don't know who of our small group was responsible for the other patches since the Props were also creating patches for ART.

It was in many ways a very different process from creating patches for the FSB and other synths in Reason IMO.

I also participated in the beta process for ART fwiw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

27 Dec 2015

selig wrote:There was a small group of folks who had worked on other Props projects who were asked to work with the development software and create "presets" for ART. I submitted many patches but only two of mine where chosen in the end. I don't know who of our small group was responsible for the other patches since the Props were also creating patches for ART.

It was in many ways a very different process from creating patches for the FSB and other synths in Reason IMO.
Cool; thanks for the info.
selig wrote: I also participated in the beta process for ART fwiw
Yep, I participated with you. ;)

eusti

27 Dec 2015

I'm glad that this now been cleared up... ;)

D.

GRIFTY

29 Dec 2015

the "bottom" setting is also a pretty amazing little button. i use it all the time. it's a bass enhancer...... i actually use it more than the red rock one which i own. ART just sounds beefier

mbfrancis

05 Jan 2016

I struggle with the tape setting on ART and have never been happy with the result. And the blend knob gets all phase-y. What do you guys use it for?

I've had better luck with Bottom.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

tronam

06 Jan 2016

mbfrancis wrote:I struggle with the tape setting on ART and have never been happy with the result. And the blend knob gets all phase-y. What do you guys use it for?

It's important not to drive the Tape mode in ART too heavily. I get much better results if I dial the input back a bit.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

selig
RE Developer

13 Feb 2016

tronam wrote:
mbfrancis wrote:I struggle with the tape setting on ART and have never been happy with the result. And the blend knob gets all phase-y. What do you guys use it for?

It's important not to drive the Tape mode in ART too heavily. I get much better results if I dial the input back a bit.
Agreed. Do this instead of using blend for this preset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Ronin

13 Feb 2016

selig wrote:
tronam wrote:

Agreed. Do this instead of using blend for this preset.

Is it recommended to use the blend at full 100% wet only then?

selig
RE Developer

13 Feb 2016

Because of the EQ and filtering used to emulate the Ampex machine there will unfortunately be some "phasing" with settings between 0-100%. So if you don't like that sound, don't use it (naturally). ;)

Selig Audio, LLC

adfielding

13 Feb 2016

I overlooked the ART for ages, but I use it pretty regularly for particular tasks now. It's a surprisingly nifty box of tricks, for sure :)

challism

13 Feb 2016

selig wrote:I created Tape and Wash but not Vinyl. Don't know what title I should have for that since each one I can think of has more than one meaning
How does this title grab you: Giles, the guy who made the Tape and Wash ART presets.

ART does get ignored a bit on ReasonTalk, but back in the PUF days it was talked about a hell of a lot, and rightfully so, it's a pretty bad ass RE. I think it gets overlooked because it is so simple, it's an older RE, and for many it was free. Free sometimes makes people appreciate something less than if they bought it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information