Are there any REs you regret buying?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2016

BPGeez wrote:Yea.. it's funny to see certain RE'S that some ppl dislike that others find very useful haha! What's the hate with Slice Arranger? That's a lil bad ass device! Guess it always just comes down to what u like and ur own workflow.. I think this has really been the highlight of Reason post RE. Everyone's setup is soo unique now! From now on anytime sometimes claims to dislike a particular RE, I think we should slay the comment with cool audio examples or project files :D
Yes agree. It's interesting to see how different we all work. Knowing this, how much can we really trust anybodys opinion on REs or music gear at all for that matter? Are they even going for a similar sound or share our taste in any way?

I good example of this is the PSQ-1684 that came out a while ago. I read the description (confused), read comments and further explanations (confused), watched videos on it (still pretty confused). All the time thinking to myself there's gotta be something to this device since some people really seem to like this kind of shit :). And I'm sure there is for some people, but I just knew this wasn't for me. I just can't imagine a more unintuitive complicated workflow :)

Iapetus 9

25 Mar 2016

Any RE you regret buying is simply your own damn fault. No excuses. Your fault. If you can't completely test a RE during that sweet 30 day period, then there's no one to blame but you and your laziness. Mark it.
38L > 51D every time.

Yonatan

25 Mar 2016

I would undo these ones. Maybe a few more, but mainly these. No PH device I really regret for having in the rack. So Actually if the RE market did not come, and PH made all REs and included them in the upgrades and bringing in say Softube, Synapse and a few others as collaborators, A lot of us would have made better deals. I can see that now. RE has been both a blessing and a curse at same time. Most good instruments is by PH and rest can be bought as Refills. Just my reflection after many years. Call it complaining, but I must admit it has been a good strategy by PH, but I think not for the users really. You could say "blame is on all who buy", but that is not quite fair because psychology can be tricky when trying to learn and aspiring to become a better producer.
The music gear industry as well as plug-ins and DAWs are really selling "dreams". When in reality, music production and sound-shaping is to do with way more subtle things and experience and creativity, that what plug-ins or gear you use. So, no blame on PH, they just do as all the others in the business.
Its all the wannabe-producers and hobby musicians that need to wake up and realise the psychology of business and creating "wants" that may not exist.

Tritone Multiband Waveshaper
Yoko Band splitter
Sub Boom Bass
T2 Phaser
Repeater
AutoArp
Uhbik A
4Dyne
GQ 7

Aquila

25 Mar 2016

I'm sad to say I was pretty disappointed with my purchase of Viking. Despite the original UI making me think I was buying a clone of the Moog Voyager, I found myself unimpressed with its overall sound and really struggled to get any warm throbbing bass sounds out of it.

Vince-Noir-99

25 Mar 2016

I guess any regret one may feel comes from the fact you can't re-sell dem REs! And because these are not 1-2€ mobile device apps, realising some of our investments aren't that useful anymore in our music, which is fair enough since it's normal to evolve, we're bloody stuck and can't make a device circulate to inject some cash and invest in our next regret. The danger I can see here is that this may easily evolve into a vortex of remorse. :?

Yonatan

25 Mar 2016

Yes indeed. For me, my listening and producing knowledge and sense has altered or matured. It is then quite bad that I cannot sell or exchange or even transfer the RE:s that I no longer want/need. Some of them is really top RE:s that many other might love to get, while they just are not getting used by me. There has to be some kind of better way here. And it´s not all about getting back money. I could well sell or give away, just a feeling of only having what I really want in the rack and letting somone else enjoy a RE. It could be a friend or whatever. Same with the bundles...you don´t get any double license if you already own 80% of them.
I can see why PH and developers might not dare to open it up but I myself getting lesser inclined to buy any RE:s.
What if I will jump to another DAW because of a cooperation or taking a production course, or just need another platform.
Then I am stuck with all the RE:s making them vanish if I trade off Reason to someone.
I do not like this protectionism. It´s not good among nations and not among companies. They should not lock you into a closed system without ways of getting out. They should compete with bringing the best value they can, not making you a prison.
Reason is a very closed DAW and if they lock ppl up, it will not create a good will in the long run.

sdst
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2016

i only buy the essentials. so I'm happy with my RE

the last I bought was the Spectrum, this thing is great to compare eq and all things

only some of the free RE i regret, never use

Yonatan

25 Mar 2016

Good for you!

Spectrum by Electric Panda looks interesting. Such is needed in Reason. Can see myself just sit there and get lost for hours just analyzing different sounds. Amazing. On my list...

altron

25 Mar 2016

All the Ubik effects. I never really use them. They lack character and there are now better alternatives for most of them.

Viking, it just doesn't sound that good and of course far from a Moog Voyager. In the early version I at least liked the dark UI.

Neutron Particle Emitter. Not sure why I bought it, I never ever use it.

AS-16 Analog Sequencer - Never using it! Sequencers that are programmed with knobs might have been fun back in the day but today it's just a mouse-twiddling chore.
Trap is where music goes to die.

BPGeez

25 Mar 2016

Hmmm.. I fuckin love my REs :puf_bigsmile: I've notice that reading the user manual really opens up my mind to the possibilities. Some REs that I didn't use at all, have become staples in my production simply because I've read the manuals and checked out a few tutorials. Reason101.net has some great resources as well for learning different devices.
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

dvdrtldg

25 Mar 2016

Yonatan wrote: Its all the wannabe-producers and hobby musicians that need to wake up and realise the psychology of business and creating "wants" that may not exist.
I hear you, man. This whole music thing used to be so cool until all the plebs discovered it. When I think of all those hobbyists out there, buying plugins to play with, experimenting, learning, indulging their creativity without knowing the rules... makes my blood boil

Personally I don't think Props should even be selling people a Reason license unless they can produce signed references from three professional studio engineers

LarsK

26 Mar 2016

Last Alternative wrote:Most of them. And we can't sell them so it's a waste of money. I don't buy RE's anymore. PH has us by the balls.
This.

odarellmc

26 Mar 2016

Sitting bull bass amp..what a waste..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Dave909

26 Mar 2016

Resampler but only because i bought Decimort2, lol. I dont see Resampler getting any use anymore in my music. Would be nice to atleast have the ability to give it away to someone.

Yonatan

26 Mar 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
Yonatan wrote: Its all the wannabe-producers and hobby musicians that need to wake up and realise the psychology of business and creating "wants" that may not exist.
I hear you, man. This whole music thing used to be so cool until all the plebs discovered it. When I think of all those hobbyists out there, buying plugins to play with, experimenting, learning, indulging their creativity without knowing the rules... makes my blood boil

Personally I don't think Props should even be selling people a Reason license unless they can produce signed references from three professional studio engineers

Well, I think you got me wrong there, as I am myself a hobbyist and just seeing through the business where we think we have to have this or that to make decent music. We do not even need a condenser mic. Many dynamic ones are better than the cheap condenser ones with too harsh upper mids and above. Audio interfaces from years ago is good enough and so on. Commercial psychologic tactic has gone crazy and we live in a culture where everyone is triggered to buy and buy new stuff. All in order to keep up. But it is systemized shopping tactic. More and more. Im not immune from this, but the more I learn about music and balance, the more obvious is the lies of the industry. A lot of plastic ans well as virtual crap is sold to masses who believe they need it to become good producers.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

26 Mar 2016

dvdrtldg wrote: I hear you, man. This whole music thing used to be so cool until all the plebs discovered it. When I think of all those hobbyists out there, buying plugins to play with, experimenting, learning, indulging their creativity without knowing the rules... makes my blood boil

What??? Seriously??? I think it's the most pedantic comment I've ever read around here...
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

MannequinRaces

26 Mar 2016

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote: I hear you, man. This whole music thing used to be so cool until all the plebs discovered it. When I think of all those hobbyists out there, buying plugins to play with, experimenting, learning, indulging their creativity without knowing the rules... makes my blood boil

What??? Seriously??? I think it's the most pedantic comment I've ever read around here...
It's called sarcasm. ;)

MannequinRaces

26 Mar 2016

SW4-C Multi-Switch controller... haven't found a good use for this one yet
Volt SL-1 CV Selector... need to mess around with this more but didn't work how I originally thought it would

electrochoc (PRX-A)

26 Mar 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote: I was the one that who mentioned Chip64 here, because except for trying it out when I got it I haven't used it that much since it's so limited.
Would be interesting to hear any music you've written with it if you got any.
All my tracks using Chip64 are still unfinished... But I use it in several ways. Often as a noise source (I like lo-fi digital noises to use as "special effects" in my songs, the kind of thing you used at the beginning of "Fat Toad Incoming"), but also as my primary synth when I go "chiptune" (in those cases, I tend to use the waveforms from Chip64 as is, without using any envelop or filter). But I also use Chip64 from time to time only for the "sequencer" section, plugged to another synth for non-chiptune video game-like sounds!

Nice tracks by the way! :puf_smile:

electrochoc (PRX-A)

26 Mar 2016

MannequinRaces wrote:
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:

It's called sarcasm. ;)
I'd really prefer! I guess my sarcasm detector is broken tonight! :D

altron

27 Mar 2016

Add FM4 to that list for me! Yep FM4!

I've trialed FM4 a while ago and didn't like the sound much. Months later after reading several positive reviews I let myself convince to give in to it and bought it. The good things: It looks good! There are only very few presets that are usable. Most of them sound glitchy or thin. But I don't make glitch-core, sorry! I take the PX7 anytime over it... tons of fantastic, musical patches and it sounds close enough to the real thing (which sounds awesome). PX7 also has lots of farty brass patches (seems Primal Audio doesn't like these much) ;)

I do like their filter REs alot but the FM4 is disappointing.
Trap is where music goes to die.

GRIFTY

31 Mar 2016

i've said before but i regret getting the two red rock "enhancers". the exciter is artificial and harsh. the bass enhancer just adds mud.

i also kind of regret buying the synapse low pass filter. it was way too expensive and i usually end up using thor or kong's built in filter, or ssl first.

other than that i don't think i regret a single one...... wait....
px7. i do regret that one. i bought it for squelchy, gnarly end-of the world sounds which it is way too finicky for me to use.
FM4 and Zero are infinitely better fm synths. fm4 is great for dialing in simple gnarled up sounds quick, and Zero can be a monstrous behemoth after some tweaking. px7 always sounds thin and sad to me

Jmax

31 Mar 2016

I don't really regret buying anything especially when you consider what you get for the price of a pair of pants.

But stuff I never use or don't like the sound of..

Mr. Overdrive bundle.. Just hardly ever use it because I didn't like the sound of the patches. Although I will dive into it more later.

FM4.. GUI is beautiful, but sounds terrible in my opinion. Zero is King.

DCam Bundle - Minus the Shapper.. Just find there's way to much latency with them and suck the juice out of my project.

RR Bass enhancer. Pretty much useless, I don't really notice any difference to the sound. I don't believe it enhances the bass.

D-Filter..although I love the GUI and will get some use out of it eventually I tend to stick with the SSL for LP HP.. ease of use and a wonderful spectrum.

Radical keys.. I just find the patches extremely quiet. You really to compress the hell out of it to get a descent sound.

Dante

31 Mar 2016

For Radical Keys sounding too quite - just tweak the Velocity Response.

GRIFTY

31 Mar 2016

Jmax wrote:But stuff
context is king people

• Information