A-List Studio Drummer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2016

Hillarious that you base your propellerheads resource comment in this Re and you didn't know Ujam was involved in ALL A-List devices from the bigginning.

People should refrain from commenting about what they don't know. From bashing a product they haven't tried to the business model of a company, to the resources they use for their different product lines and so on...

Dante

28 Mar 2016

I have absolutely no issue with how props spend thier time. There is just as much chance that R9 will contain flop features as them making dud RE's.

However - when a new RE doesn't sound as good as included DrRex loops, then it becomes a waste of everyone's time.

The patterns, loops and control are all there - it's just that the sounds - kick and snare - miss the mark for rock - and as noted - there's no EDM sounds. So what's left ? A bit of jazz & folk beat making ?
Last edited by Dante on 28 Mar 2016, edited 1 time in total.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2016

Dante wrote: However - when a new RE doesn't sound as good as included DrRex loops, then it becomes a waste of every
I cannot agree with you. But that's an entirely subjective matter.

Dante

28 Mar 2016

Of course it's subjective - which is why I provided example. I'm quite happy to hear an example of the new RE being used for (hard) rock that opens my eyes (ears). But until that happens, my subjective view remains as is.

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2016

mcatalao wrote:
Dante wrote: However - when a new RE doesn't sound as good as included DrRex loops, then it becomes a waste of every
I cannot agree with you. But that's an entirely subjective matter.
Well a difference between this and a Rex loops are to be expected given Rex loops are the final processed sound whereas A-List Studio Drummer contains the raw drum sounds with a choice of no processing or one of the canned effects chains. That's not to say either has a better sound, it's just that A-List provides more options for creating a sound and mixing in different ways.

Note to self: see if mix settings affects output of individual drum channels ...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2016

Dante wrote:Of course it's subjective - which is why I provided example. I'm quite happy to hear an example of the new RE being used for rock that opens my eyes (ears). But until that happens, my subjective view remains as is.
I'm sorry i have to check it with headphones and or in my studio monitors. But what are you comparing your example to in the A-List Drummer?

Cheers.

Dante

28 Mar 2016

There are 5 knob positions for the sound of say the snare. But over all 5 positions it seemed like there were only 3 snare sounds. I treated all 3 with DCAM EnvShaper, reverb and gated reverb.

So comparing processed and unprocessed sound with processed DrRex.

dmcghee

28 Mar 2016

I had a chance to write some real songs with the A-List Studio Drummer and I must say it is quite remarkable.
Reason is now grown up as a DAW. We are not limited to synth and loop base music, Reason is now very organic.
Reason doesn't host VSTs directly, but now we have Rack Extensions. So of course there is a cost associated
to have these tools just as VSTs are with any other DAW that host them.

My meat and potato instrument are Rack Extensions. All the A-List Guitars, Radical Series, Rob Papan RGRE Instrument,
my Fender Bass and now A-list Studio Drummer. An A-List Horn Section would be very cool in the Rack.

Dante

28 Mar 2016

The 5 knob positions, Soft, Deep, Natural, Tight and Hard - for the snare, seems to have a couple of duplicate setting. EG there are only 3 sounds, although I am at a disadvantage to say which because I'm not at my DAW. Those 3 are what I could use for pop or jazz, but not for rock. Which gives me the impression this RE was undercooked base sample wise, unlike the A-List Guitarists which I can dial up the sound I want fairly quickly.

Its not about processing options. Remember DrRex drums have no separate outputs, so I sometimes use the EVE5 EQ to give a bit of top to snare/hats, or boom to kick. This new RE has separate outs, so I experimented using separate treatment on snare. At the end of he day though, its the base sound (samples) that matters most.

Theo.M

28 Mar 2016

dmcghee wrote:I had a chance to write some real songs with the A-List Studio Drummer and I must say it is quite remarkable.
Reason is now grown up as a DAW. We are not limited to synth and loop base music, Reason is now very organic.
Reason doesn't host VSTs directly, but now we have Rack Extensions. So of course there is a cost associated
to have these tools just as VSTs are with any other DAW that host them.

My meat and potato instrument are Rack Extensions. All the A-List Guitars, Radical Series, Rob Papan RGRE Instrument,
my Fender Bass and now A-list Studio Drummer. An A-List Horn Section would be very cool in the Rack.

This is true. This is why i miss Reason. Because no matter what i use, the art of composing is not as FUN in any other daw (for me).
And i have ableton, PT 12.4, Logic, and Cubase 8.5 at my disposal.

But the process of mixing, well, different story. This is why i hope they concentrate on the core Reason. That's all. I wasn't trying to be confrontational.

I tell you what, if i was still the guy that just composed and took my stuff or used an online engineer for the mixing and just had to send him stems or if he had reason, reason projects, there'd be no contest. Reason all day.

I'm sure there's other people here that would like it to grow up in the audio editing area, offer pdc, maybe a built in melodyne style thing, and a few other items.

I'll check out a list drums once the aax or AU comes out :mrgreen:

Happy jamming.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2016

Are you talking about your warlock soundcloud song?

The sounds in those drums sound already too harsh and over compressed, i wouldn't expect any improvement by simply changing them to the Re.
Maybe it's a genre issue, but that's what i feel. The issue with the snare might be a bug but from the different genres i tried that didn't happen. Maybe that's an issue with a specific genre, care to share the name?

Thanks.

Theo.M

28 Mar 2016

mcatalao wrote:Hillarious that you base your propellerheads resource comment in this Re and you didn't know Ujam was involved in ALL A-List devices from the bigginning.

People should refrain from commenting about what they don't know. From bashing a product they haven't tried to the business model of a company, to the resources they use for their different product lines and so on...

oh yes, cause when propellerheads are pimping a new product release, getting people excited, the first thing I am going to do is look up information on who made it, rather than presume when it's under the props brand name, that they did the work. In fact, i am going to look at every single Re ever released under the props banner in the past and in future, before i ever make a comment. NOT.

Joey's reply was what a normal person would do, you're a trouble making idiot. Muted now and forever. Ahh, have at it. Bah bah.

Dante

28 Mar 2016

mcatalao wrote:Are you talking about your warlock soundcloud song?

The sounds in those drums sound already too harsh and over compressed, i wouldn't expect any improvement by simply changing them to the Re.
Maybe it's a genre issue, but that's what i feel.
I didn't change the sound to RE, I started with RE, then went back to Dr Rex.
mcatalao wrote:The issue with the snare might be a bug but from the different genres i tried that didn't happen. Maybe that's an issue with a specific genre, care to share the name?
Are you saying the RE contains more than 3 snare sounds ? EG that you get more if you change genre ? What am I missing ? I'm under the impression the drop down list of styles (to the left) yields different styles, not sounds (??) Are you asking the name of the selected style I was using ?
Last edited by Dante on 28 Mar 2016, edited 2 times in total.

dmcghee

28 Mar 2016

What is cool with all these Rack Extension is all the Rack Extension from Softube and McDSP to mix with.

dmcghee

28 Mar 2016

The Midi files from Reason Drum Kit 2 and BFD drums sound awesome in A-List Drummer.

bstylee

28 Mar 2016

Dante wrote:The 5 knob positions, Soft, Deep, Natural, Tight and Hard - for the snare, seems to have a couple of duplicate setting. EG there are only 3 sounds, although I am at a disadvantage to say which because I'm not at my DAW. Those 3 are what I could use for pop or jazz, but not for rock. Which gives me the impression this RE was undercooked base sample wise, unlike the A-List Guitarists which I can dial up the sound I want fairly quickly.

Its not about processing options.
Remember DrRex drums have no separate outputs
[/b], so I sometimes use the EVE5 EQ to give a bit of top to snare/hats, or boom to kick. This new RE has separate outs, so I experimented using separate treatment on snare. At the end of he day though, its the base sound (samples) that matters most.
rexouts.jpg
rexouts.jpg (116.67 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
actually it does have seperate outs obviously have to assign the slices to them manually and depends on working with mono or stereo samples you can with mono have up to ten individual mono outs panned left right for each out. or five stereo outs ;) had to correct you there my friend :) :thumbs_up:
Last edited by bstylee on 28 Mar 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Dante

28 Mar 2016

Ok great ! That's something I wasn't aware of ! Good to know, Ill certainly use those ! Which makes this an even more attractive an option than the new RE, although with a little more work.

Reason has such depth as to still be learning new tricks years in

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2016

bstylee wrote: actually it does have seperate outs obviously have to assign the slices to them manually and depends on working with mono or stereo samples you can with mono have up to ten individual mono outs panned left right for each out. or nine stereo outs ;) had to correct you there my friend :) :thumbs_up:
So what happens to the slice with a kick, snare, hi-hat and symbol at the same time?

Dante

28 Mar 2016

Generally when I play the DrRex with keyboard, the fact that a bit of overheads spilled into the kick is a minor inconvenience. And now that I know about the separate outs, can filter using LPF and HPF from GQ7 !

This gets even better !

bstylee

28 Mar 2016

avasopht wrote:
bstylee wrote: actually it does have seperate outs obviously have to assign the slices to them manually and depends on working with mono or stereo samples you can with mono have up to ten individual mono outs panned left right for each out. or nine stereo outs ;) had to correct you there my friend :) :thumbs_up:
So what happens to the slice with a kick, snare, hi-hat and symbol at the same time?
I make my own rexs that have not that problem and if not I can not just use them slices and split slices that are plain hits to other channels and use a switch to select the differing channel settings that make them different its not rocket science .......

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2016

Theo.M wrote:
mcatalao wrote:Hillarious that you base your propellerheads resource comment in this Re and you didn't know Ujam was involved in ALL A-List devices from the bigginning.

oh yes, cause when propellerheads are pimping a new product release, getting people excited, the first thing I am going to do is look up information on who made it, rather than presume when it's under the props brand name, that they did the work. In fact, i am going to look at every single Re ever released under the props banner in the past and in future, before i ever make a comment. NOT.

Joey's reply was what a normal person would do, you're a trouble making idiot. Muted now and forever. Ahh, have at it. Bah bah.
Lol, and great! Thanks! Good riddance.

Dante

28 Mar 2016

bstylee wrote:
avasopht wrote:
I make my own rexs that have not that problem and if not I can not just use them slices and split slices that are plain hits to other channels and use a switch to select the differing channel settings that make them different its not rocket science .......
Sometimes the loops don't have isolated hits, but I'm sure GQ7 can reduce spillage.

Theo.M

28 Mar 2016

got a notification in the top right forum corner, cant see it, don't plan to. That's what I do now, rather than get more serious and take the forum off track. Sorry to others, that's the LAST post from me on the subject, and as you guys know, these days I will stick to that promise..
Now, back to A list, which was not coded by propellerheads....

PS hint to the guy whatever his name was.. if someone is wrong, you just need to politely correct. That's it. Works every time. Civil discussion.

bstylee

28 Mar 2016

Dante wrote:
bstylee wrote:
avasopht wrote:
Sometimes the loops don't have isolated hits, but I'm sure GQ7 can reduce spillage.
m8 theres a lot of free samples that cover kits a plenty in single hits for free its then a case of drum replacement there. ie grab the hits you like convert to rex in choosen method create some kits for later use.
get loop you want copy to track the rex pattern move to new rex you have ya new created kit moves the notes to match its easy enough and not that time consuming to be honest ;).

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2016

Dante wrote:
mcatalao wrote: Are you saying the RE contains more than 3 snare sounds ? EG that you get more if you change genre ? What am I missing ? I'm under the impression the drop down list of styles (to the left) yields different styles, not sounds (??) Are you asking the name of the selected style I was using ?
Yes, i think it has 5 totally different kits. But i might be wrong. I have to get to the studio to try it out, cause my reason installation in this computer does not have A-List Studio Drummer.

PS.: From the manual there are only 5 kits, so what i said of the bug in a genre doesn't apply, sorry my bad.

• Information