Solaris In the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
The Tone Ranger

17 Apr 2016

it would be good if there was an alternative skin for people who value the hardware look. I couldn't use this while keeping up my Reason is hardware fantasy lol

busystreetstudio

18 Apr 2016

Started this one last night - https://allihoopa.com/s/Vv0plNLO

Using Aurora and Solaris (one subtractor patch, bass guitar, and 2 drum sets)

I really like Solaris so far! It is fun and the patches and good launching off points. Playing with the didgeridoo reminds me of messing with the maelstrom way back in reason 3.

RhysHuntley89

19 Apr 2016

I like the look of it a lot, will be trying it out tonight!

Jmax

19 Apr 2016

I have to say first and for most, Solaris sounds great! fat and thick and also clean sounding. I love the interface and colors. Seems futuristic yet simple at the same time.

TheGodOfRainbows

19 Apr 2016

Pinkbox wrote:I have nothing against "flat design" for itself.
You can't compare Windows 10 which as a complete flat design (and designed for phones before computers) and Reason which has a realistic design and philosophy (like a real studio, with wires and everything...).
I've used Ableton Live in the past and I've always been bothered by VST with realistic design, in a flat environment. It's just a matter of global design.
I should have said : Solaris' design is ugly in the rack. :) But it's really clean itself.
And it's quite unfair to take Rob Papen Boom Bass for a counter example :) Of course this design is disturbing, but if you take Etch red, Echobode or PMS-20, these guys fit perfectly in the rack and it's a pleasure to work with theses Re just for the GUI.

I tried Solaris this morning and it sounds fantastic. I've been looking for a new non-FM synth these past few weeks, and I think this one will be the one (even if there's no LFO in!).
:thumbs_up:
I don't think the Reason GUI has to be overhauled and made 100% flat and 2D. All I'm talking about is stuff like less shadows and reflections on the knobs, and less hyper-attention to the skeuomorphic realism, all for the sake of cleaning everything up to be easy on the eyes and brain. I've always liked the skeuomorphism in Reason, but I've grown tired of it because the clean look makes it easier for me to be organized.

My eyes are drawn to all the little details in the rack, and I'm tired of being distracted by tiny details, on both the front and the back of the rack devices. But, I know this is a very individual preference, which is why it would be great to have the best of both worlds with an Option in Preferences to toggle between old/new GUI. But I'm not a programmer, so maybe that would be a lot easier said than done.

Basically, I would be happy, at least for the next update, with the look of Thor on the iPad. I don't know if it is because of the much higher resolution, or because it is rendered differently, i.e. vectors and whatnot, instead of bitmap. Whatever it is, I like it. But it seems like there is a little less texture detail and 'grit' for lack of a better word, on the Thor interface. And maybe a bit less sheen on the knobs.

I hate shiny knobs that obscure the often TINY dot or line indicating what direction the knob is pointing in. I just picked Rob Papen Sub Bass as an example at random. There are many devices out there that I think overdo the shiny factor, and the novelty of strange and unique knobs (...Crapre....COUGH...). As I get older, the novelty of dust, scratches, screws, reflections on knobs, reflections on simulated LCD screen (unforgivable), shadows, glares, rivets, function-less plugs, nuts, bolts, washers, air vents, fans and exhaust ports.......it starts wearing on my mind. I need more a more minimal interface the more complex the software becomes.

I like the screws too, but I just want a button to make them, and their nuts and bolts and air vent friends, go away (and come back if you so choose in Preferences).

Sorry for getting off topic.
P.S. Is everything I'm posting in bold?

Pinkbox

19 Apr 2016

I get your point.

Ps: no :)

TheGodOfRainbows

19 Apr 2016

:D ok! Well then. Thanks!

P.S. Good, but on my end, everything I post in in bold print, so maybe its my browser doing something weird.

Neko the Jaguar

19 Apr 2016

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
Pinkbox wrote:I have nothing against "flat design" for itself.
You can't compare Windows 10 which as a complete flat design (and designed for phones before computers) and Reason which has a realistic design and philosophy (like a real studio, with wires and everything...).
I've used Ableton Live in the past and I've always been bothered by VST with realistic design, in a flat environment. It's just a matter of global design.
I should have said : Solaris' design is ugly in the rack. :) But it's really clean itself.
And it's quite unfair to take Rob Papen Boom Bass for a counter example :) Of course this design is disturbing, but if you take Etch red, Echobode or PMS-20, these guys fit perfectly in the rack and it's a pleasure to work with theses Re just for the GUI.

I tried Solaris this morning and it sounds fantastic. I've been looking for a new non-FM synth these past few weeks, and I think this one will be the one (even if there's no LFO in!).
:thumbs_up:
I don't think the Reason GUI has to be overhauled and made 100% flat and 2D. All I'm talking about is stuff like less shadows and reflections on the knobs, and less hyper-attention to the skeuomorphic realism, all for the sake of cleaning everything up to be easy on the eyes and brain. I've always liked the skeuomorphism in Reason, but I've grown tired of it because the clean look makes it easier for me to be organized.

My eyes are drawn to all the little details in the rack, and I'm tired of being distracted by tiny details, on both the front and the back of the rack devices. But, I know this is a very individual preference, which is why it would be great to have the best of both worlds with an Option in Preferences to toggle between old/new GUI. But I'm not a programmer, so maybe that would be a lot easier said than done.

Basically, I would be happy, at least for the next update, with the look of Thor on the iPad. I don't know if it is because of the much higher resolution, or because it is rendered differently, i.e. vectors and whatnot, instead of bitmap. Whatever it is, I like it. But it seems like there is a little less texture detail and 'grit' for lack of a better word, on the Thor interface. And maybe a bit less sheen on the knobs.

I hate shiny knobs that obscure the often TINY dot or line indicating what direction the knob is pointing in. I just picked Rob Papen Sub Bass as an example at random. There are many devices out there that I think overdo the shiny factor, and the novelty of strange and unique knobs (...Crapre....COUGH...). As I get older, the novelty of dust, scratches, screws, reflections on knobs, reflections on simulated LCD screen (unforgivable), shadows, glares, rivets, function-less plugs, nuts, bolts, washers, air vents, fans and exhaust ports.......it starts wearing on my mind. I need more a more minimal interface the more complex the software becomes.

I like the screws too, but I just want a button to make them, and their nuts and bolts and air vent friends, go away (and come back if you so choose in Preferences).

Sorry for getting off topic.
P.S. Is everything I'm posting in bold?
And can we make the view bigger? I don't think thats too much to ask for.

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2016

Fantastic sound!

Wook

20 Apr 2016

Such a lush and meaty sounding little synth.

alex

02 May 2016

Hey,
maybe I'm late to the party but anyway...

I'm trying Solaris and - although I was a little bit skeptical at first - I must admit it sounds really nice and fat, as others have already reported, and it is also fun to program/edit because you get good results real quick! Great job, Skrock Music!

So I thought maybe it's time to provide a checklist with some improvements/feature suggestion :P

Here it goes:

- Pitch Bend Range (on the back)
- Legato Mode (so that envelopes does not retrigger when notes overlap)
- Damping and Low Cut controls for Reverb
- HighPass and Band Reject filter type
- Random on keypress as a modulation source

Last... And yes, why not, some additional wavetables! :P

Again really nice rack device.
Cheers
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Loque

02 May 2016

alex wrote:Hey,

I'm trying Solaris and - although I was a little bit skeptical at first - I must admit it sounds really nice and fat, as others have already reported, and it is also fun to program/edit because you get good results real quick! Great job, Skrock Music!

So I thought maybe it's time to provide a checklist with some improvements/feature suggestion :P

Here it goes:

Cheers
Route it through Thor if its not too complicated...
Reason12, Win10

sonicbyte

02 May 2016

I really like Solaris, maybe I will buy it

The_G

03 May 2016

It's a neat device. How about some combi presets though?
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 May 2016

The_G wrote:It's a neat device. How about some combi presets though?
I made a lot of Combi presets. I assume they are in the release???

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 May 2016

Benedict wrote:

They are, there is a sub folder called Combi....

The_G

03 May 2016

Benedict wrote:

Not in my folder--in that case not sure why. I'll re-download.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

The_G

04 May 2016

Re-downloaded and *poof* there they are. Wonder what was going on before...

altron

04 May 2016

Synth sounds great and is on my buy list but the please don't give the Pheads any wrong impression that anyone would want a flat VST UI in Reason! Reason's pseudo 3D UI paradigm is a big part of why I'm using Reason.
Trap is where music goes to die.

alex

06 May 2016

Loque wrote:
alex wrote:Hey,

Here it goes:

Cheers
Route it through Thor if its not too complicated...
Thanks for the suggestion!
Admittedly, I already did (Thor for generating random cv values on keypress, if I get what you mean) but not always work: I get unexpected glitches on key release for some sounds... I need more time to figure out how to fix it.

Anyway since there is a "constant" modulation source, I thought hey, why not add an handy "random" as well! ;)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Neko the Jaguar

06 Sep 2016

Are there any tutorials for this?

Stock Music Musician

23 Sep 2016

It's one of my favorite synths out there. Super lush sounds, especially on the pads, synths, and bass. The GUI makes it less than fun to experiment with the controls, though, and sometimes the values don't adjust the upon clicking them. Nonetheless, it's inspired me to make a lot of different types of music.

I posted this in another thread on Solaris, but in case you missed it, here's an in-depth review of the Solaris which includes demos of a lot of different sounds.

• Information