PX7 for $49 until 4/24

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Neko the Jaguar

21 Apr 2016

joeyluck wrote:But keep in mind: people pay this much and more for ReFills.

Even if you aren't into programming it or exploring ReFills for modern PX7 sounds; it offers so much value in the presets it includes and the ability to tweak sounds. Try using the macro controls and just flipping through algorithms on different patches.

You are getting the best DX7 emulation out there with spot on sound. But within the Reason environment where the possibilities are endless. And don't forget the patch converter! :)
How is it compared to FM4?

joeyluck

21 Apr 2016

Neko the Jaguar wrote:

Even if you aren't into programming it or exploring ReFills for modern PX7 sounds; it offers so much value in the presets it includes and the ability to tweak sounds. Try using the macro controls and just flipping through algorithms on different patches.

You are getting the best DX7 emulation out there with spot on sound. But within the Reason environment where the possibilities are endless. And don't forget the patch converter! :)
I prefer it to FM4 for the sound, patches, and the CPU usage.

The_G

21 Apr 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:How is FM8 comparing to PX7? Yes, PX7 is legendary, but other than that?
Very different. Both are FM synthesizers, yes, so are capable of many of the same things. But the GUIs could barely be any different. FM8 is generally more versatile, but PX7 is more focused on recreating the DX7 and the range of sounds the DX7 was capable of producing.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

GRIFTY

21 Apr 2016

I wish I could sell mine

Aasmund1986

21 Apr 2016

Ill think I go for it, tried or not. Who knows if we see a steal-price for a emulationsynth like this again?
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

dustmoses

21 Apr 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:Ill think I go for it, tried or not. Who knows if we see a steal-price for a emulationsynth like this again?
We will, it was that price Black Friday I believe.

I am interested in this not quite sure a DX7 clone will be good for what I do though. Probably gonna pass this time around wasn't on my list of possible RE purchases, not gonna put it on just because it's $49.

Aasmund1986

21 Apr 2016

Just bought it and Im enjoying it already. Its like a ghost in your rack :P This thing is a monster and Im not joking. It must have been in the kitlist of many producers for late of times.
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

lowpryo

21 Apr 2016

Neko the Jaguar wrote:

for designing new patches, I prefer FM4 to PX7 as well. mainly because it's a simplified PX7. 4 operators instead of 6, and the standard ADSR envelopes make it easier and faster for me to wrap my head around. also I really dig the built-in lo-fi models on FM4, although they might not be for everyone. and the build-in unison is a CPU hog, but PX7 doesn't even have unison.

kitekrazy

21 Apr 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:How is FM8 comparing to PX7? Yes, PX7 is legendary, but other than that?
FM8 can be used in every DAW not named Reason and PX7 can only be used in s DAW named Reason.

I think this should be in Reason 9 and not as a RE.

joeyluck

21 Apr 2016

lowpryo wrote:
Neko the Jaguar wrote:

for designing new patches, I prefer FM4 to PX7 as well. mainly because it's a simplified PX7. 4 operators instead of 6, and the standard ADSR envelopes make it easier and faster for me to wrap my head around. also I really dig the built-in lo-fi models on FM4, although they might not be for everyone. and the build-in unison is a CPU hog, but PX7 doesn't even have unison.
I found FM4 to use too much CPU even without unison. I get the part about programming. I find the diagrams on the PX7 to be handy though. But maybe something like custom displays for the envelopes on the PX7 would be helpful? Other than that, I find the interfaces to be pretty similar.

challism

21 Apr 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:But dang, its only $49 now. Maybe its this one chance to pick it up at this price.
If I've learned anything since the RE market has been in existence, it's that there is ALWAYS another sale coming. If you don't pick it up now, you can always pick it up in the future. I spent $69 on it in June of 2014. It was on sale. It was on sale for $50 during Black Friday, if I remember correctly.

I have so many REs and other synths to play with, PX7 doesn't really get the attention it deserves from me anymore, but it is a fantastic synth, IMO. It comes with 700k presets, too (downloaded separately), most of which are quite bland out of the box, but if you slap on some reverb, delay and other FX, they can sound really nice. Perhaps it isn't the perfect device for whatever subgenre of electronic dance music is the most popular these days, but I don't follow trends when it comes to my music. This is a classic device capable of a wide range of sounds.

BTW, I emailed Props with a suggestion a while back... introduce CV ins for each of the operators. That way the user could run/input wave shapes of their choice for each Osc, which would open PX7 up to an endless amount of capabilities. They said it was a great idea and forwarded it to the appropriate development department. Haven't heard or seen anything since, but hopefully they will add something like that in the future. Also, the ability to automate all the controls would be nice.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

boobytrap

21 Apr 2016

Aasmund1986 wrote:Just bought it and Im enjoying it already. Its like a ghost in your rack :P This thing is a monster and Im not joking. It must have been in the kitlist of many producers for late of times.
Welcome to the PX-7 Club. only one good thing is 200k free soundbank.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Loque

21 Apr 2016

boobytrap wrote:
Aasmund1986 wrote:Just bought it and Im enjoying it already. Its like a ghost in your rack :P This thing is a monster and Im not joking. It must have been in the kitlist of many producers for late of times.
Welcome to the PX-7 Club. only one good thing is 200k free soundbank.
That soundbank has lots of duplicates and Reason is not able to make fast string search in 200k elements refill :thumbs_down: :roll:

There is a project eleminating the duplicates down to 70k i think. I am sure its somewhere in this forum. Did not know the name of the project atm
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

21 Apr 2016

I posted the link to Koshdukai's ReFill previously in this thread :)

I also have a user favorites ReFill I started in the PUF based on users' favorites. Never published it because only a couple aside from myself submitted.

esselfortium

21 Apr 2016

The current up-to-date version of PX7 comes with a pretty big-but-manageable soundbank built in, FYI. I don't think it always had that.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

22 Apr 2016

esselfortium wrote:The current up-to-date version of PX7 comes with a pretty big-but-manageable soundbank built in, FYI. I don't think it always had that.
Well as of May 30, 2013 they added the Dual folder of Combinator patches. But yes, there are plenty of great patches included as presets.
Many of my favs though aren't included, such as 'FM-Growth' which sounds awesome :)

miscend

23 Apr 2016

Are you guys sure that Zero is easier to program than PX7? I've only ever demo'ed both. Zero's GUI had too many features very tightly crammed into a very small space, I didn't think it's routing & mod matrix are intuitive at all and some of the knobs are far beyond tiny. Whereas PX7 has less much functions but they are laid out in a logical way that explains the signal flow better imho. And the macro controls were very helpful.

kuhliloach

25 Apr 2016

What?! $49?!?!?! Are you people NUTS?!? I offer you TEN dollars! :P

joeyluck

25 Apr 2016

kuhliloach wrote:What?! $49?!?!?! Are you people NUTS?!? I offer you TEN dollars! :P
Unfortunately we can't sell or trade RE licenses so that I can say, "No way in hell!" But instead I can currently only say, "Not possible." :P
Sorry for your unfortunate budget and horrible valuation...and bad timing. Sale is over.

PS only trying to join in on the joke... in case this comes across too harsh

kuhliloach

25 Apr 2016

I wouldn't pay $99; wouldn't pay $49. Would pay ~$10. Nothing to do with budget! I'm curious Joey, in terms of value, what do you feel this synth RE is worth to you? It's hard, having so many synths in Reason already, to become interested in another synth unless its far from being redundant. I think many Reason users are literally overwhelmed with choices. Priced the way it is I'm sure many Reason owners have no idea it exists. At ten bucks it might be a far more popular synth, with far more users, and YouTube videos, and mixes featuring the PX7. There's even an argument for it being free if it's good enough to sell copies of Reason.

joeyluck

25 Apr 2016

kuhliloach wrote:I wouldn't pay $99; wouldn't pay $49. Would pay ~$10. Nothing to do with budget! I'm curious Joey, in terms of value, what do you feel this synth RE is worth to you? It's hard, having so many synths in Reason already, to become interested in another synth unless its far from being redundant. I think many Reason users are literally overwhelmed with choices. Priced the way it is I'm sure many Reason owners have no idea it exists. At ten bucks it might be a far more popular synth, with far more users, and YouTube videos, and mixes featuring the PX7. There's even an argument for it being free if it's good enough to sell copies of Reason.
I bought this on sale at $69 just as I was getting ready to buy it at $99. So I lucked out.
It is hands down the best DX7 emulation out there. I am a huge fan of it's sound. I can't get this sound using any other synth in Reason. The macro controls make it very easy to manipulate the sounds and get great results quickly. MusicTech just recently reviewed it and gave it a 9/10. It's pretty well known among the folks I talk to in the industry.

There is a demand for this type of synth. The Yamaha DX Reface was released last year and is $399 (dropped from $499). It is overall less powerful (4 op), but one of it's selling points is control similar to that of the macro controls on the PX7. I wouldn't be surprised if they were inspired by the PX7. Korg just released the Volca FM based on the DX. I still have my DX100, but it seems to stay in it's gig bag unless I want to take it out and strap it on (now that I have this).

I'm not 100% sure of this, but before the Microkorg, I believe the DX7 was the best selling synth of all time? There are many flavors of FM synthesis, but there is one synth that defined what FM synthesis is; and that's the synth in which this is based.

Loque

25 Apr 2016

kuhliloach wrote:I wouldn't pay $99; wouldn't pay $49. Would pay ~$10. Nothing to do with budget! I'm curious Joey, in terms of value, what do you feel this synth RE is worth to you? It's hard, having so many synths in Reason already, to become interested in another synth unless its far from being redundant. I think many Reason users are literally overwhelmed with choices. Priced the way it is I'm sure many Reason owners have no idea it exists. At ten bucks it might be a far more popular synth, with far more users, and YouTube videos, and mixes featuring the PX7. There's even an argument for it being free if it's good enough to sell copies of Reason.
I dont agree to your price arguments. 50 is a really fair price and its unique imo. 100 is maybe a bit too much, and as far as i remember the price was 79 before...

To your arguments to give it away for free, i think this synth will be bumdled to next Reason version for free.
Reason12, Win10

Karim
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2016

jfrichards wrote:Just wanted to highlight this great price for this great synth.

My only issue is why the hell did they make it baby-poop brown?
Definitely not blue!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

zeebot

26 Apr 2016

I did the demo and it sounded like I was strangling a digital cat for a month so personally I wont be getting it.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Loque

26 Apr 2016

zeebot wrote:I did the demo and it sounded like I was strangling a digital cat for a month so personally I wont be getting it.
I agree. This RE sounds like it produces sounds like it was done 25 years ago... But, with layering and some effekts this RE becomes very powerfull, unique and modern.
Reason12, Win10

• Information