Are there any REs you regret buying?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

28 Apr 2016

boobytrap wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
kloeckno wrote:
boobytrap wrote:I bought GClip Waveshaping Clipper one week ago. I think I regret for buying that. I thought that is a waveshaper. but that is nothing.
It is a waveshaper, it just has only one option. It is usually called "hard clip" on other synths, and if you turn up the softness knob it should be very similar to the soft clip option on waveshapers. But it will definitely shape a waveform, just try putting a sine wave through it, it will turn into a square wave if you drive the input enough. That may be the problem you have with it, the input has to be loud enough before any clipping occurs. And a square wave, for example, won't do much since it's already basically clipped on the top and bottom.

But to say it does nothing is a bit overdramatic.
And you can use the VAC-6 to see exactly what the softness does when applied.

GClip is one of my favorite REs
They mentioned that is a Waveshaping Something. but it looks like shaping wave using Brick wall limiting method. if the call it GClip Brick Wall Clipper, that's okay. my question is, is this really necessary and for what. I mean these things are very basic things.
what if someone make a Re call volume controller, with only one knob witch controlling Volume.
This is very popular outside the world of Reason. And still popular within Reason I feel.
It's a waveshaping clipper (as is said in it's product name): GCLip Waveshaping Clipper

I use it several ways, but mostly I use it for distortion.
From the description: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... g-clipper/
  • Here are the most common uses of GClip:

Digital distortion - Simply boost and clip hard to create harsh, digital distortion. This is the kind of distortion you'd get from a cheap loudhailer, especially if combined with a band-pass filter.

Conditioning - GClip can be used prior to other effects to tame excessive peaks, which might otherwise lead to undesirable responses when processed.

Compression - GClip can be used to reduce the peak levels of a signal, reducing the overall dynamic range. This can be done with a soft-knee to avoid hard, digital clipping. It's a very different process to standard compression, and not a substitute, but for some material it can be very effective.
So did you simply hit buy from the shop browse page and not the product page?
If you have VAC-6 (which is free), have it follow the GClip in your chain. Turn up the gain on GClip, adjust the clip, and then adjust the softness and you can see via the VAC-6 what it is doing (zoom it all the way in). The GClip alone shows well enough by it's display where it is clipping the audio, but it's a bit small when viewing the results of the softness.

boobytrap

28 Apr 2016

joeyluck wrote: So did you simply hit buy from the shop browse page and not the product page?
sometimes YES !. it's one of my serious errors...
Last edited by boobytrap on 28 Apr 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

tibah

28 Apr 2016

I hardly regret any purchase I made. I don't use every RE I bought on a regular basis, but reusing them again reminded me why I bought them in the first place. I got back from Studio One into using the copy of Essentials I still had because I own Balance. I filled up the rack with things I wanted, rather then upgrading to the full version of Reason again for about 2 years. For instance, I got the Uhbik studio effects. I hardly use Uhbik Q now, but if I do, I like what it does and the low end bump is unique to my arsenal. I filled up my rack with TSAR-1R and RPVerb, to recently get into Uhbik A again. I rather use Echobode or The Echo these days and I never got my head around Uhbik D, but when I use it, it does offer something interesting.

I have one regret, still. Predator. I owned it as a VST back in 2010. I loved it. My go-to synth pretty much. When the RE dropped, I couldn't get into it. Recent sale and I bought it out of some weird, visceral moment. Close call between this and Vecto and now I kinda wished I went for Vecto as I did enjoy the song challenge very much. Predator is just too close to what I already get from my favorite ReFills, REs and the stock devices. Programming isn't fun (yet) and the sheer amount of patches that it came with are just overwhelming, but then not too *special* enough to justify owning it. For some reason, I still think there will be a moment where I admire having it, it's just not there yet.

chimp_spanner

29 Apr 2016

tibah wrote:I hardly regret any purchase I made. I don't use every RE I bought on a regular basis, but reusing them again reminded me why I bought them in the first place. I got back from Studio One into using the copy of Essentials I still had because I own Balance. I filled up the rack with things I wanted, rather then upgrading to the full version of Reason again for about 2 years. For instance, I got the Uhbik studio effects. I hardly use Uhbik Q now, but if I do, I like what it does and the low end bump is unique to my arsenal. I filled up my rack with TSAR-1R and RPVerb, to recently get into Uhbik A again. I rather use Echobode or The Echo these days and I never got my head around Uhbik D, but when I use it, it does offer something interesting.

I have one regret, still. Predator. I owned it as a VST back in 2010. I loved it. My go-to synth pretty much. When the RE dropped, I couldn't get into it. Recent sale and I bought it out of some weird, visceral moment. Close call between this and Vecto and now I kinda wished I went for Vecto as I did enjoy the song challenge very much. Predator is just too close to what I already get from my favorite ReFills, REs and the stock devices. Programming isn't fun (yet) and the sheer amount of patches that it came with are just overwhelming, but then not too *special* enough to justify owning it. For some reason, I still think there will be a moment where I admire having it, it's just not there yet.
Yeah, I feel this. I really wanted Predator for ages. Now I have it...I don't use it. I also wanted Vecto (it's like a rack version of Animoog) but the interface was a bit too chaotic for me. Having said that I think it would've been the better purchase.

Yonatan

06 May 2016

Vecto really attracts me soundswise from the demo video. Different from many other synths. But, yes, the interface makes one get tired right away.
But someday I probably will buy it. Kind of regret buying Sub boom bass back in the early days. But well, I guess it can be used as a general sound design tool.

Aasmund1986

06 May 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:
tibah wrote: I also wanted Vecto (it's like a rack version of Animoog) but the interface was a bit too chaotic for me.
Yes, I wonder what they where thinking when they designed it :D Its sounds like an awezome synth for sounddesigning.
Reason 10 Intro
Parsec, Europa, Antidote, Predator, PX7, 4MER, eXpanse, SynthMaster One, ReSpire

• Information