Best Stereo Bus Compressor?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
miscend

25 May 2016

The Mcdsp Fairchild compressor sounds pretty good on the master buss. The Reason SSL buss comp and the fxpansion buss comp are good too.

Stranger.

25 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2016

skie wrote:
selig wrote:
skie wrote:
GRIFTY wrote:I'm voting for the master compressor on the SSL. it's one of my favorite compressors in reason, just like selig
Yes I quite like it too, but I can't place it after the EQ in my mastering chain....
Sure you can - set inserts to "PRE COMPRESSOR", which you need to do anyway if using side chain EQ/Filtering on the Master Compressor…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Right, but Id want my limiter to be post-compressor...
Me too - I always put my brick wall limiter last, as the goal is to control "overs". If you use something like Ozone (and especially it's dither), then it MUST be last - even AFTER the master fader if you use it for things like fade outs or level adjustments. To that end, I put Ozone between the Master Output and the Hardware Interface. Works like a charm for me!
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2016

Stranger. wrote:
skie wrote:Right, but Id want my limiter to be post-compressor...
Limiting can actually come before compression- this can turn a very squashed signal--> into somthing that "bounces" -ie:dynamically expanding files.
I've salvaged and re-compressed many files this way.

It CAN come anywhere except when you're using it to prevent clipping the output (or using it's built in dither) - then it must be last.

Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

25 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

25 May 2016

selig wrote:
skie wrote:
selig wrote:
skie wrote:
GRIFTY wrote:I'm voting for the master compressor on the SSL. it's one of my favorite compressors in reason, just like selig
Yes I quite like it too, but I can't place it after the EQ in my mastering chain....
Sure you can - set inserts to "PRE COMPRESSOR", which you need to do anyway if using side chain EQ/Filtering on the Master Compressor…

Right, but Id want my limiter to be post-compressor...
Me too - I always put my brick wall limiter last, as the goal is to control "overs". If you use something like Ozone (and especially it's dither), then it MUST be last - even AFTER the master fader if you use it for things like fade outs or level adjustments. To that end, I put Ozone between the Master Output and the Hardware Interface. Works like a charm for me!

What exactly means "after the master fader"?
Reason12, Win10

tibah

25 May 2016

Loque wrote: What exactly means "after the master fader"?
In Reason, the master fader is the last instance before the signal hits the audio outputs. By routing stuff between the master out and the hardware interface, you are putting it "after the master fader" vs. putting it last in your mastering chain, in the master section, while it would be pre master fader.

If you do a fade out by automating the master fader, you would basically fade out the whole track, including mastering chain and limiting. If you put the limiter after the fader, you would still limit that automation as well.

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2016

Stranger. wrote:
selig wrote:then it must be last.
:lol: k - calm down bruv-- you still retain yr crown- lord selig no1 can take that from u :lol:
Jus say'n.. i like this bideos-->
You on shrooms dude?!? I think you're imagining things…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

25 May 2016

tibah wrote:
In Reason, the master fader is the last instance before the signal hits the audio outputs. By routing stuff between the master out and the hardware interface, you are putting it "after the master fader" vs. putting it last in your mastering chain, in the master section, while it would be pre master fader.

If you do a fade out by automating the master fader, you would basically fade out the whole track, including mastering chain and limiting. If you put the limiter after the fader, you would still limit that automation as well.
Thanks. I thought there was an impact on dithering.
Reason12, Win10

tibah

25 May 2016

Loque wrote:
tibah wrote:

Tbh, they could be. Maybe Selig has the right way to explain that portion. ;)

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2016

Loque wrote:
tibah wrote:

For dither to work it has to be the absolute last thing in the signal processing path (technically speaking, you CAN have a fader patched after adding dithering, as long as it's set to UNITY and doesn't change). If you change the level after adding dither, it doesn't work properly.

Also consider this - for most of the history of recorded audio, fade outs were done at the mix stage. Yes, some folks added fade outs at mastering, but more often they were done during mixing. From there the track went to mastering. That is to say, fading before limiting was the norm and continues to be so for the most part. Again there are exceptions of course, but I'll end with a question - can anyone tell which songs had the fade done during mixing vs mastering?

If you can't tell, then obviously adding the fade BEFORE limiting is just as valid a workflow as after. Because of this, I've not stressed out over fading before limiting - seems to work just fine for me, and it allows dither to work properly as well.

If you DO prefer to fade AFTER limiting, just be sure to add dither AFTER adding the fade out and you'll be fine.
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

25 May 2016

Man I don't know. I think I just wanted to spend money yesterday. Think I'm perfectly OK with the MClass, and none of the ones I'm considering are really affected by the sale that much.

skie

25 May 2016

Just played with the C1 L1 and fell in love, decision was a no brainer! Would have forgotten about that thing forever if it wasn't for you guys and gals thanks for the help.

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 May 2016

I use M-Class for most everything - haven't got my head around the SSL Channel Comp yet.

I got C1 L1 and break it out for character or extreme jobs and it always delivers.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

mreese80

26 May 2016

SSL hands down. Its all i ever use to glue my Mix together. Its also the only one i use when im using vsts. Nothing beats it
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

XysteR

28 May 2016

Compressor in SSL track lane and SSL Master Compressor. Softube FET for Drums and vocals. That's all you need really - Well, it's all I need....

satyr32

28 May 2016

For me C1-L1 is the best master compressor, also would be a good bus and chanel compressor if it were lighter to dsp. It needs quite a bit of CPU.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

The_G

28 May 2016

Too bad there's no RE version of The Glue...
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

• Information