Spectra is on the way mid 2016

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

04 Jun 2016

I'm lucky enough to be one of the beta testers. This synth is really nice! I think you guys are going to love it. But I can't say any more than that. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Shokstar

04 Jun 2016

Who is the Dev? I'd like to test it too?

Nirude

04 Jun 2016

ayo shokstar, James Williams is the man.
email him - jameswilliams@synthetechsound.com.au
3d man.

Shokstar

04 Jun 2016

Thank you, email was sent to him :)

Faastwalker

04 Jun 2016

Looks really interesting this one. Love the teaser trailer.

Breach The Sky

04 Jun 2016

Would love to test this to, but the betacrew is surely filled up by now, right?

Anyway, nice looking device. The display is interesting to see.

Also props to Nirude for the hypeinducing teaser video.

VHS

04 Jun 2016

I am very curious about "sample loading" as it has a mono resynthesize input. Does this buffer reset when I close the song? Will the buffer remain in saved patches? Or is it more a vocoder a la parsec? Or is that a separate vocoder input and you can, in fact, also load sounds through a menu? Ill find out soon enough I suppose, but I must admit, I'm excited.

eXode

04 Jun 2016

VHS wrote:I am very curious about "sample loading" as it has a mono resynthesize input. Does this buffer reset when I close the song? Will the buffer remain in saved patches? Or is it more a vocoder a la parsec? Or is that a separate vocoder input and you can, in fact, also load sounds through a menu? Ill find out soon enough I suppose, but I must admit, I'm excited.
A qualified guess is that the recorded audio is converted to partials by use of FFT, and that this information is saved within the patch.

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2016

Bingo!

It isn't a Sample but Resynthesis. This is essentially what Parsec does BUT unlike Parsec, Spectra can Save the resulting Spectrum (set of Partials) into the Patch.

Don't expect sample exact copies of audio you feed in and "scan" as a) it is a very short timeslice so best suited to steady waves, not changing over time like a plucked guitar and; b) resynthesis is a reconstruction of the sound, based on the scan, using x number of Sine waves piled up in a Spectrum following the standard harmonic order. Sounds aren't always so conveniently formal.

So bottom line, there is some luck involved and sometimes you will get a really cool wave that is pretty recognizable, but at others something a bit mutant (same as with Parsec's "Vocoder"). Frustrating at times if you think you are sampling but very cool if you are open to the unexpected. I had a few goes at a piano and about third time around got a rather nice grab that I believe is going to be a stock wave. It's clearly a piano but it ain't gonna win awards in the hyper-gamma-uber-sampled library category at the next Kontakt convention LOL

Might seem funny to some but Spectra owes a lot to the classic Kawai K5000 synths which were a revolution at the time and generally much loved by their owners. I knew a die-hard, SH-swingin' Aceeed head who loved his (til it got stolen and he had to find another). If I could go back in time knowing what I do now, I'd buy one (passed at the time because it didn't sound like Gary Numan or Ultravox).

:)
Last edited by Benedict on 04 Jun 2016, edited 2 times in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

VHS

04 Jun 2016

Thank you for the answers!
I was really hoping for Harmor-esque additive resampling in reason. Luckily, I own Harmor, so totally different is also enticing. =)

synthetechsound
RE Developer

04 Jun 2016

VHS wrote:Thank you for the answers!
I was really hoping for Harmor-esque additive resampling in reason. Luckily, I own Harmor, so totally different is also enticing. =)
Me too. But without sample loading and saving it's just not possible. Next time.

Skullture

07 Jun 2016

Benedict wrote:Might seem funny to some but Spectra owes a lot to the classic Kawai K5000 synths which were a revolution at the time and generally much loved by their owners.
So I assume the editing screen looks a lot like this?

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2016

Skullture wrote:
Benedict wrote:Might seem funny to some but Spectra owes a lot to the classic Kawai K5000 synths which were a revolution at the time and generally much loved by their owners.
So I assume the editing screen looks a lot like this?
I wouldn't say so

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

yeahright31

07 Jun 2016

Nirude wrote:with a permission:
Synthetechsound RE Background.jpg
The look of this reminds me of my broken old Novation X-Station, which was the first hardware synth I bought.

dvdrtldg

10 Jun 2016

decibel wrote:sickness, that vid gets the pulse rate going ;)
Yep I'll be buying it just to get that low death drone at 0.11

Nirude

11 Jun 2016

Hi. I made that video and the sounds on that Teaser-video are not from Spectra.
I could reveal that there will be a longer video which will show all the features of this synth.
That will have music made with Spectra.
3d man.

dhruan

11 Jun 2016

Nirude wrote:Hi. I made that video and the sounds on that Teaser-video are not from Spectra.
I could reveal that there will be a longer video which will show all the features of this synth.
That will have music made with Spectra.
And now there you got us all excitered about them being the kinds of sounds that Spectra could produce (well, me and a few others too) ;) So what exactly did you use to create the teaser vid sounds? Inquiring minds need to know...
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

challism

11 Jun 2016

With the excitement of two new spectrum synths hitting the shop, don't forget that this beast is going to be hitting the shop soon(ish), too.

spacefarmer

16 Jun 2016

I am waiting for spectra, but there are some other RE I am interested in the last weeks.
Does anybody know, if it will be released this month or maybe later in the year.
In second case I would like to buy some other RE first these days and spectra, if I will like it, will have to wait until autumn.
Challism, do You know more about "soon(ish)?

riemac

16 Jun 2016

spacefarmer wrote:I am waiting for spectra, but there are some other RE I am interested in the last weeks.
Does anybody know, if it will be released this month or maybe later in the year.
In second case I would like to buy some other RE first these days and spectra, if I will like it, will have to wait until autumn.
I would be interested about the release date aswell.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

16 Jun 2016

riemac wrote:
spacefarmer wrote:I am waiting for spectra, but there are some other RE I am interested in the last weeks.
Thanks for the interest in spectra Riemac. I'm currently working to resolve a few issues that came out of the first beta so it is extremely unlikely spectra will be released this month.

I hope this helps.

riemac

16 Jun 2016

synthetechsound wrote:
riemac wrote:
Thanks for the interest in spectra Riemac. I'm currently working to resolve a few issues that came out of the first beta so it is extremely unlikely spectra will be released this month.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the release. Better a stable and bug free release than a release which is to early.

spacefarmer

16 Jun 2016

It 's like riemac wrote imo too.
Thank You for answering.

challism

16 Jun 2016

Synthetechsound is the man to direct all question toward. I am a beta tester, and as such, I cannot talk about the RE or divulge any insider information I may have.

pjeudy

16 Jun 2016

Spectra.png
Spectra.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3267 times
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

• Information