Nostromo Synth is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
manisnotabird

08 Jun 2016

The filters are analog modeled. Modeled on any particular analog filter?

Faastwalker

08 Jun 2016

manisnotabird wrote:The filters are analog modeled. Modeled on any particular analog filter?
One thing I forgot to put in my first impression review - the filters. I thought they sounded excellent. Very wide and smooth. Really nice I thought.

challism

08 Jun 2016

Skullture wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
challism wrote:
Loque wrote:Heavy price... Please impress me when i try. And no special loyalty offers and no intro-price...
They put a TON of work into this synth. A serious amount of programming was done. And it is extremely light on CPU, too. This thing is a beast. I don't think $129 is asking too much for it, considering all the work that has gone into it and the wonderful sounds it is capable of making... OFF.THE.HOOK! Have you considered the bundle? That's an amazing deal, really. Basically, another $20 gets you PSQ-1684! NICE!!

Hit the try button.... and I'm sure you will soon be hitting the buy button.

BTW> the randomize button is nuts! It comes up with a randomized slot layout from the 2000+ different spectra. That's right, 2000+..... yeah.... that alone must have taken Lectric Panda a hellofalot of time programming all those. And there are 200 different sweep patterns to morph thru the different slots. This thing is bonkers.... try it!
so you have bought it then ie paid for it?
Bumping because I'm wondering this too
I'm not sure how this relevant at all, but no, I haven't bought it. It just hit the shop yesterday. That doesn't change my opinion or my love for this synth. As I stated before, my opinion is, it is absolutely worth the asking price. And the bundle price is great, only another $20. I'm wanting to try the PSQ-1684, I'm not sure how I have missed it all this time. As I have mentioned on this forum before, I was a beta tester for this synth, and I saw behind the scenes how much work and time went into it (and that was just a tiny glimpse over the period of a few months). I know Lectric Panda worked their Chinese Bear butt off on this thing. I stand by what what I said... try it and you will probably buy it.... I think it's amazing, and I absolutely love it!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

riemac

08 Jun 2016

This synth is really great.

- The basic waveforms sound very good. When I read first about Nostromos I feared, that it would sound very digital, but that's not the case.
- The unison is great, especially the spread function. In combination with the basic saw wave you can make very nice supersaws (I'm in trance heaven)
- The filter sound is very good. I like that with higher resonance the sound doesn't lose bass.
- CPU usage is very good
- Nostromos seems very thought thru in every detail

The only thing I'm missing is a wave for "white noise". Is thery any noise? If not, maybe it could be added in the next update?

frog974new

08 Jun 2016

well done Letric Panda , the Nostromo is pretty good , just tried this Re yesterday .
a FSB specially the texture patch are awesome .
i love Re not a monster for CPU DSP ^^ and no latency :) .

edit : my next review and free refill may be for the Nostromo , really get inspired wit it

chimp_spanner

08 Jun 2016

To be fair I think it's probably one of the best synths in the shop. Not ass kissing or anything haha. But it's warm, complex, super playable, inspiring. Such a good time for REs right now.

submonsterz

08 Jun 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:To be fair I think it's probably one of the best synths in the shop. Not ass kissing or anything haha. But it's warm, complex, super playable, inspiring. Such a good time for REs right now.
What would be in your list of synths you pit it it against?.
And especialy against what you owne ?.

fceramic

08 Jun 2016

Nice synth, but no per-voice shaper or drive is a deal-breaker.

dvdrtldg

08 Jun 2016

I'm definitely in the It's Too Small club

Very interesting synth, but I have good eyesight and still struggle with the cramped UI

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:To be fair I think it's probably one of the best synths in the shop. Not ass kissing or anything haha. But it's warm, complex, super playable, inspiring. Such a good time for REs right now.
Ditto. I'm mindblown such a synth exists. It's got so much expressive and creative potential that it really does have endless possibilities, and then add the stereo unison and even drift, smooth filters, neat reverb and well crafted waveform - this is just a fantastic synth period!!

It's easy to make an over complicated spectral / wavetable synth, but in the few minutes I played with it I found it stupidly easy to make fantastically brilliant sounds. STUPIDLY easy and FANTASTICALLY brilliant.

Shame it's so sunny outside because my hat goes off to Nostromo!!!

Not too bothered about the size. The manual could have given some vital info about the waveforms like what subtractor does, but there are just so many of them so it can be excused ;)

rcbuse
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

manisnotabird wrote:The filters are analog modeled. Modeled on any particular analog filter?
Oberheim Xpander

Vyckeil

08 Jun 2016

frog974new wrote:well done Letric Panda , the Nostromo is pretty good , just tried this Re yesterday .

edit : my next review and free refill may be for the Nostromo , really get inspired wit it
Can someone confirm that it really has no latency? Becuase that's a huge deal to me. I will automatically buy it if it hasn't latency.

rcbuse
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

Vyckeil wrote:
frog974new wrote:well done Letric Panda , the Nostromo is pretty good , just tried this Re yesterday .

Can someone confirm that it really has no latency? Becuase that's a huge deal to me. I will automatically buy it if it hasn't latency.
I'm not sure what it meant by latency in either of these statements. What kind of latency are you asking about?

Vyckeil

08 Jun 2016

rcbuse wrote:
Vyckeil wrote:

I'm not sure what it meant by latency in either of these statements. What kind of latency are you asking about?
Sample latency. Does Nostromo require the VMG-01 to sync with other devices? Would it benefit from PDC?

Exowildebeest

08 Jun 2016

Latency? It's an instrument, not an effect.

Ottostrom

08 Jun 2016

Vyckeil wrote: Sample latency. Does Nostromo require the VMG-01 to sync with other devices? Would it benefit from PDC?
No offence, but i don't really think you know what you are talking about. And that kind of bothers me since you claim it's a "huge deal" for you...
Last edited by Ottostrom on 08 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

rcbuse
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

Vyckeil wrote: Sample latency. Does Nostromo require the VMG-01 to sync with other devices? Would it benefit from PDC?
There are no delays in the audio chain apart from the actual delay fx and reverb fx.

rcbuse
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Got a Device Error when clicking on the notes of the PSQ­1684. Not sure where to report this.
First update will fix this.

rcbuse
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

Faastwalker wrote:.......... Nostromo & PSQ-1684 looked great together. Except this miss alignment is giving me serious OCD!! :?

First update will have OCD patch. :D
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.07.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.07.38 AM.png (104.96 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

selig
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:I am a big fan of the UI. And I have serious OCD. It's very tidy and I think it's a great size. I'm not a fan of synths that take up much more rack space.
Does that mean no 9 space synths for you?!? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Vyckeil

08 Jun 2016

rcbuse wrote:
There are no delays in the audio chain apart from the actual delay fx and reverb fx.
That's the asnwer I wanted to hear.

And based on other people's responses, most of you are not aware that some synths do have latency to precalculate samples... notably some granular synths. Good job on correcting me though...

tibah

08 Jun 2016

Here is a little something of an impression/review after 2 days of playing with Nostromo.

The sound quality is great. The filters are very smooth and I like the AM/RM stuff quite a lot. OSCs need a little thinking first, but once you are into them, it's quite easy to deal with and yes, the randomize function is awesome. You can take any preset that has e.g. amp env and mod assignments you like and just randomize the whole time to have a nearly everlasting resource of new textures and timbres. So even if you are a preset junkie, there is quite a lot to gain from those 500 factory presets. I really hope PH does introduce mouse-wheel support and drag and drop functionality for custom displays, as the whole concept of a browser for the waves would save you that one extra bit of a click that can easily turn into annoyance sometimes.

Overall, this is easily one of the top 3 synths currently in the shop.

Back to my song challenge sketch(es)! ;)

satyr32

08 Jun 2016

Is there a reason why the Sweep Waveform is not assignable as destination in the mod matrix? I would find that very useful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

WongoTheSane

08 Jun 2016

satyr32 wrote:Is there a reason why the Sweep Waveform is not assignable as destination in the mod matrix? I would find that very useful.
I seem to remember that the number of assignable destinations is too large to fit into a "normal" device menu, so they chose to provide only the most common destinations in the Matrix (as much as can fit anyway), and provide all of them through the Combi Programmer. All slots can be automated this way:
sweepcombi.JPG
sweepcombi.JPG (63.39 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Edit: a recent post from eauhm just reminded me that you can also automate it from the sequencer. Select the Nostromo track and click on the automation menu at the top of the track list:
sweepseq.PNG
sweepseq.PNG (41.45 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Last edited by WongoTheSane on 08 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Jmax

08 Jun 2016

I trialed it. And yeah it sounds pretty cool. I like the pads especially and plucks as well some leads. I wasn't impressed by the bass patches. I don't like the GUI especially. Seems that for 'Nostromo' it could have looked bigger with highlights, accents at least. I can't bring myself to spend the money for something when I have many other synths that sound just as good. Zero, kHs One, Antidote etc. I know this does many thing's they do not but I like a really nice GUI personally, not a knock on the dev I have other Panda stuff.

• Information