Nostromo Synth is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Melody303

09 Jun 2016

lowpryo wrote:trialed it last night, I love it! even though it seems geared towards unique/creative uses, this may replace Antidote as my go-to workhorse synth. the filters sound great, the unison is comparable (if not a little better sounding, but that might be the 'new gear' excitement), and it's just as quick and easy to whip up a full sound. the creative wavetable stuff is the icing on the cake

anyone do more in-depth CPU usage analysis? as far as I can tell it's lighter-weight than Antidote but I wasn't paying too much attention
My setup is hardly top of the line. I'm using an AMD tri-core 3.3ghz CPU.

Two pads playing a total of 12 notes (give or take, this is including release tails), one of which with several voices in unison, was enough to make my audio stutter, when I was creating my submission for the Nostromo song challenge. I had 3 more Nostromos going on monophonic duties as well, but I tested it with just those 2 pads, and they're enough to make my computer crawl. -- but at least it didn't bring up the 'computer too slow' error.
This is at 44.1khz with 2048 for a buffer size.

I can't compare with Antidote. My trial of it was well over a year ago.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

frog974new

09 Jun 2016

any hope on the next update to add a mini bouton to clear a slot when you load a sample , when we create some patch each time we have to scroll at the empty folder . it 'll be very helpfull :)

may be , for basic waveforme set a proper name ..

challism

10 Jun 2016

Melody, I think Nostromo actually uses up much less DSP than Zero or Antidote. It's really hard to compare the 3 synths fairly, though, without having the ability to load the exact same patch/settings for each synth. Loading Reason down with 2 pads playing 12 notes might give many synths a high DSP draw though. I think it handles the DSP very well, considering how much stuff it is doing. I didn't have it give me a DSP red bar, freezing/clipping, or computer is too slow message once during my beta testing. And I think I abused it pretty thoroughly. Of course, YMMV. :)

Frog974, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm especially confused by: when we create some patch each time we have to scroll at the empty folder. There is a "clear all slots" button on the right side. Copy/paste/clear/random. I'm not clear what you are asking for in the update.

For those who feel Nostromo is too small, I compared it to some of the native devices, Mastrom, Subtractor, NN19, Kong's NNXT. They knobs look to be the same size as these other devices. I guess it is a bit crowded, though, yes. There are a LOT of controls which I like. :) I guess it could stand to sit a bit taller in the rack. Would that help you feel less crowded?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (511.27 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Melody303

10 Jun 2016

challism wrote:Melody, I think Nostromo actually uses up much less DSP than Zero or Antidote. It's really hard to compare the 3 synths fairly, though, without having the ability to load the exact same patch/settings for each synth. Loading Reason down with 2 pads playing 12 notes might give many synths a high DSP draw though. I think it handles the DSP very well, considering how much stuff it is doing. I didn't have it give me a DSP red bar, freezing/clipping, or computer is too slow message once during my beta testing. And I think I abused it pretty thoroughly. Of course, YMMV. :)
I did test Zero recently, and Nostromo *definitely* uses less DSP than Zero, by far.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

frog974new

10 Jun 2016

challism wrote:
Frog974, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm especially confused by: when we create some patch each time we have to scroll at the empty folder. There is a "clear all slots" button on the right side. Copy/paste/clear/random. I'm not clear what you are asking for in the update.
as you said its a bouton to clear quickly all slots , i want one for only one slot selected :) .
its not a priority , its only to work more quickly .

selig
RE Developer

10 Jun 2016

challism wrote:Melody, I think Nostromo actually uses up much less DSP than Zero or Antidote. It's really hard to compare the 3 synths fairly, though, without having the ability to load the exact same patch/settings for each synth. Loading Reason down with 2 pads playing 12 notes might give many synths a high DSP draw though. I think it handles the DSP very well, considering how much stuff it is doing. I didn't have it give me a DSP red bar, freezing/clipping, or computer is too slow message once during my beta testing. And I think I abused it pretty thoroughly. Of course, YMMV. :)

For those who feel Nostromo is too small, I compared it to some of the native devices, Mastrom, Subtractor, NN19, Kong's NNXT. They knobs look to be the same size as these other devices. I guess it is a bit crowded, though, yes. There are a LOT of controls which I like. :) I guess it could stand to sit a bit taller in the rack. Would that help you feel less crowded?
Untitled.jpg
Really shows how well designed all the Props instruments are! Simple, elegant, easy and obvious workflow, relaxed layout with enough white space while still packing in the features. Subtractor still holds up well IMO. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

stratatonic

10 Jun 2016

selig wrote: (dating an extremely successful professional UI designer doesn't hurt either,

if just for her vast library of design books!).
Is this anything like huge tracts of land?

WongoTheSane

10 Jun 2016

frog974new wrote:
challism wrote:
as you said its a bouton to clear quickly all slots , i want one for only one slot selected :) .
its not a priority , its only to work more quickly .
I think I understand what you're saying, but there's a problem with it: there are TWO ways to clear a slot, one is to put an "empty" wave in it, and the other is to place a "silence" wave in it. Both of those have a different behaviour, so half the time the "clear" button would not do what you expect it to do.

There is a workaround though, at least this is what I do: I use Osc3 as a Favorites repository for common waves. I have "empty", "silence" and the first three basics (saw, sine, square):
favs.PNG
favs.PNG (54.89 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
When I need to place one of those in another slot, I double-click on the wave I want in Osc3 (this scrolls the wave library to the wave in question), click on the slot I want to change, and click on the wave in the library. Granted, it's not as fast as a Clear Button would be, but it minimizes the time it takes to scroll the library manually...

challism

10 Jun 2016

Nice work-around, Wongo! I really like that.

This library is HUGE and time consuming to scroll thru.... that's both a blessing and a curse, I suppose. But I would rather have more choices, than fewer.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2016

Am I being lame or does this device not have pop ups to tell you the settings of the controls? I wanted to set a delay time (dotted eighths), noticed it has a sync button but I'm not seeing any info to be able to set the time.

Grum.

rcbuse
RE Developer

13 Jun 2016

Grumbleweed wrote:Am I being lame or does this device not have pop ups to tell you the settings of the controls? I wanted to set a delay time (dotted eighths), noticed it has a sync button but I'm not seeing any info to be able to set the time.

Grum.
If you enable the sync button on any of the rates, it changes the behavior of the time and offset knobs, such that the tooltips will show the note values instead of milliseconds.
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 3.08.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 3.08.34 PM.png (31.04 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Last edited by rcbuse on 13 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

tibah

13 Jun 2016

Works. Yea, it does take a sec. ;)

EDIT: Might be my eyes, but seems my version of Nostromo is more grey-ish, while Rob's is more brown-ish? ;)

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2016

Cheers for the replies. So it appears I didn't wait long enough for something to pop up! You live and learn :D

rcbuse
RE Developer

13 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:Might be my eyes, but seems my version of Nostromo is more grey-ish, while Rob's is more brown-ish? ;)
Ah, yea, that a shot from inside the development environment, which on my particular system renders colors somewhat incorrectly.

riemac

14 Jun 2016

I wish Nostromo would have waveforms for white noise and maybe highpassed white noise.
Maybe that could be added in a future update. Or is this not possible with spectralsynthesis?

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2016

riemac wrote:I wish Nostromo would have waveforms for white noise and maybe highpassed white noise.
Maybe that could be added in a future update. Or is this not possible with spectralsynthesis?
My understanding:
Wave tables are single cycle waveforms that repeat, and noise never repeats. So it's difficult to create convincing noise with such a short sample length. Another way to say it: you will always hear the "loop".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2016

Wot he sed.

For white noise to work it needs to be a long sample - and then you need to get lucky with the looping, usually requires crossfading and even then has artifacts that you can hear.

Try extreme modulation with S&H or even several things at once and you you should get some kind of noise. That is what I did for the snare in my Comp entry.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

rcbuse
RE Developer

17 Jun 2016

Neosaki wrote:
satyr32 wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:.......... Nostromo & PSQ-1684 looked great together. Except this miss alignment is giving me serious OCD!! :?

haha i feel exactly the same. I always have to look at it and the more I try to ignore it the more I am forced to look at it.
Omg Faastwalker I was just about to post the same thing. It's driving me nuts.
2.0.1 update in the shop fixes crashes and ui alignment.

snowcattt

17 Jun 2016

I love that half the musicians couldn't care less and half the musicians are OCD and the other half are mixed....but I truly love that the developer cares enough to make a quick fix. (regarding the alignment) If you're on the fence about buying this one....well, maybe this is the kind of developer you want to buy from....enjoying the discovery of Nostromo myself. Thank you Lectric Panda.
Invent the life you want to live.

Faastwalker

17 Jun 2016

rcbuse wrote:2.0.1 update in the shop fixes ui alignment.
Thank Christ for that! Now I can sleep at night again :o ;)

bitley

17 Jun 2016

It sounds like a mixture of a Seiko home keyboard, Casio CZ-101, Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Prophet VS. Pretty interesting sounds. :)

kuniklo

22 Jun 2016

I registered an account just to post in this thread and say how impressed I am with this synth design. I have a ton of other synths already, and have even coded a few of my own in C++, but Nostromo really hits the sweet spot in terms of complexity. It can cover a big chunk of what you can do with something like Absynth with a vastly simpler and more immediate UI. I find myself enjoying sound design a lot more and getting better results with single page interfaces like this.

The only thing I'd like to see changed here is the option of a more aggressive and analog sounding filter + drive.

riemac

22 Jun 2016

kuniklo wrote:I registered an account just to post in this thread and say how impressed I am with this synth design. I have a ton of other synths already, and have even coded a few of my own in C++, but Nostromo really hits the sweet spot in terms of complexity. It can cover a big chunk of what you can do with something like Absynth with a vastly simpler and more immediate UI. I find myself enjoying sound design a lot more and getting better results with single page interfaces like this.

The only thing I'd like to see changed here is the option of a more aggressive and analog sounding filter + drive.
Yes, a filter drive or a saturation fx would be a very good addition to Nostromo.
I would like if lectric panda would make Nostromo a little bit higher in dimension and put the patch loader at the top. Now on the bottom left corner the patch loader is very unconventional. The synthesiser titel could be replaced as well on the top.
On the vacant spot of the patchbrowser could be added a third fx for saturation.
And a lowcut filter for the very good reverb would be nice as well.

Arrant
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2016

Innovative, deep and good-sounding synth that is actually not that awfully hungry on the DSP. GUI is functional if a bit cramped.
Price point may be a little steep compared to the competition, but otherwise this is a real winner. Impressed :thumbs_up:

Ottostrom

23 Jun 2016

What am i doing wrong with the attack?
Even when i put it on max and it says 10.3 s the sound still starts to play super fast (sounds more lika 0.5 sec attack) :(
I want reallt slow attack but i cant seem to figure out how to get it.

• Information