whats the most versatile drum synth RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Chizmata

12 Jun 2016

as topic says. if i really wanna use only one drum synth, but want to make a lot of different kicks, hats etc with it, which one would that be? or, more drastically, if you were to stick with one and only one drum synth for the rest of your life, which would that be?

submonsterz

12 Jun 2016

EDS for RE but if I think kong still the king for making drums in reason by using its drum modelling and bouncing reloading reprocessing through its self it has almost anything for making drums when you do the reprocess thing with it.

satyr32

12 Jun 2016

I think there is no dedicated drum synth as RE besides BDPunch which is mostly for Kicks, but you can also make Hats and Snares, etc.
If there would be a real drum synth I would buy it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

satyr32

12 Jun 2016

submonsterz wrote:EDS for RE but if I think kong still the king for making drums in reason by using its drum modelling and bouncing reloading reprocessing through its self it has almost anything for making drums when you do the reprocess thing with it.
EDS is more like a sample player and not a synthesizer where you can build your own drums.

submonsterz

12 Jun 2016

satyr32 wrote:
submonsterz wrote:EDS for RE but if I think kong still the king for making drums in reason by using its drum modelling and bouncing reloading reprocessing through its self it has almost anything for making drums when you do the reprocess thing with it.
EDS is more like a sample player and not a synthesizer where you can build your own drums.
its the best thing you got in reason made anywhere near what is asked in RE form.
I say kong is king in reason right still for making drums.

Skullture

12 Jun 2016

PunchBD no doubt. Rob Papen Team is on top of this game for me.

EDIT: it can do snares too, but it's obviously best for kickdrums
Last edited by Skullture on 12 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Chizmata

12 Jun 2016

satyr32 wrote:
nah, havent tried it but this does not look like a sample Player

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... rum-synth/

satyr32

12 Jun 2016

I mean has anyone ever used ESD? I do not see any value in this RE, other might do, but I would not call it a drum synth if you compare it to Kong.

tibah

12 Jun 2016

As already mentioned, the RE platform doesn't really offer anything major in this area yet. Kong is still your best option. Malström is also a great contender because of LFOs one shot mode, if you haven't tried that.

Generally, FXpansion Tremor and Sonic Charge Microtonic are my 2 favorites, outside of Reason, but I don't want to go the route of dreaming about a port to RE format. I kinda feel like FXpansion abandoned the format, while Magnus may still have an interest in it, and it might be just a matter of time, resources and SDK stuff to see Microtonic in the rack.

submonsterz

12 Jun 2016

satyr32 wrote:I mean has anyone ever used ESD? I do not see any value in this RE, other might do, but I would not call it a drum synth if you compare it to Kong.
I use it all the time to make drum sounds that I find have a different flavour mostly electronic style drums.
but it`s uses do not stop there I use it to make bass sounds and fx sounds etc etc pretty versatile .
the back panel is your friend for making nice things happen espescially routing itself into itself modulation and audio wise using the aux mix inputs.
I find it very use full myself personally :thumbs_up:
infact just to add to what I just said in using EDS for other sounds too I just was doing something and wanted a sort of distorted guitar type sound (very not drums I know and bit off the topic)
and gues what I got what I needed using two slots of EDS very basically to create the first sample you hear here and then used an UN-16 unison and a scream and then lastly a bit of rp distort to make these four samples I wanted.
https://instaud.io/qEU
https://instaud.io/qEV
https://instaud.io/qF0
https://instaud.io/qF2
Last edited by submonsterz on 12 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane

12 Jun 2016

satyr32 wrote:I mean has anyone ever used ESD? I do not see any value in this RE, other might do, but I would not call it a drum synth if you compare it to Kong.
I have. It is a sample player in the sense that there are 49 sampled waveforms to choose from (to be precise, 5 standard ones - sine, square... - and 44 sampled). But it's clearly not meant to emulate a conventional drum machine, there is no real concept of having a kick, a snare, hi-hats... Instead, you get schboings, twidddles, zzzoooingsss and brrbrrbrrs that can be modulated, stacked and routed in a variety of ways. It's very well suited for glitch for instance, or rythmic effects. "EDS" stands for "Electronic Drum Synth", and that's exactly what it is.

I had fun playing with it but unfortunately I'm more into "traditional" music so I haven't used it in a real song yet. It is provided with quite a lot of patches, some of them turning it into a more conventional drum machine:
eds.PNG
eds.PNG (29.63 KiB) Viewed 3079 times

Chizmata

12 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:As already mentioned, the RE platform doesn't really offer anything major in this area yet. Kong is still your best option. Malström is also a great contender because of LFOs one shot mode, if you haven't tried that.

Generally, FXpansion Tremor and Sonic Charge Microtonic are my 2 favorites, outside of Reason, but I don't want to go the route of dreaming about a port to RE format. I kinda feel like FXpansion abandoned the format, while Magnus may still have an interest in it, and it might be just a matter of time, resources and SDK stuff to see Microtonic in the rack.
well, kong is really good but it could need some more versatility in terms of kick overtones, hihat bend options and stuff like that. of course there are ways, but it is hard to create good rides, 909OH or tambourine with the kong synths. tbh i dont know how to get GOOD high percussions out of any synth, and i dont mean "short white noise that sounds absolutely trash but kinda like a hihat" or sth.

Rason

12 Jun 2016

EDS by OchenK seems to work well for what u are looking for .. the envelope could have more parameters though for more precise adsr layering. Anyway. It is compact toolbox for layering drum hits from scratch and it contains useful distortion.

dana

12 Jun 2016

I've been using the new jackbox sampling drum machines by quadelectra, they are really good and have a nice old school vibe.

For a kick drum i either use the one in kong or punch-bd through disperser and decimort.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

12 Jun 2016

Au contraire! EDS06s is definitely what I'd call a real drum synth! It's true that its basic sounds set (waveforms) is very electronic, but Its many modulation possibilities, its send audio out then in, its effects, etc, make it a very versatile drum synth. Tweaking it can yield very unsuspected results! But you got to like very electronic and weird drum sounds to really appreciate it. The overall thing is made to make sounds that come from another dimension... This said, it's possible to layer channels in it to make more traditional sounds (kick, snares, toms, hihats, ...).

This said, I still consider Kong to be a little more versatile than EDS06s, and still requier less work to get more traditional sounds. Kong is more aimed at making traditional drum sounds, and it's way harder to make it sound very synthetic and weird without samples... My drum settings rely on both devices: Kong for basic kicks, snares, hihats, and EDS06s for the rest (weird zaps, boings, fshhh, etc.).

To me though, the real dream drum synth is still to be done in Reason... I often use Malstroms, Noxious and other "weirder" synths to get the sounds I want, and I now route my old ElecTribe ER-1 (one of the best hardware electronic drum synth as far as I know!) into Reason. I even started to look at some VST freebies for more electronic weirdness, and have found a couple a interesting devices... As you can see, I'm constantly on a quest for the most versatile and weird drum synth, and EDS06s is probably the best option for Reason as of now (beyond Kong itself).

So:
Most versatile drum synth overall: Kong.
Most versatile weird and electronic drum synth: EDS06s.

If I had to choose only one, it would be Kong though... Or maybe my Electribe!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

kloeckno

12 Jun 2016

Chizmata wrote:well, kong is really good but it could need some more versatility in terms of kick overtones, hihat bend options and stuff like that. of course there are ways, but it is hard to create good rides, 909OH or tambourine with the kong synths. tbh i dont know how to get GOOD high percussions out of any synth, and i dont mean "short white noise that sounds absolutely trash but kinda like a hihat" or sth.
That's probably because the 909 was a hybrid sampler/synth! The cymbal sounds were all samples. That's also why the 808's cymbals sound so different and synthetic, the 808 was all synthesis.

Chizmata

12 Jun 2016

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
Au contraire! EDS06s is definitely what I'd call a real drum synth! It's true that its basic sounds set (waveforms) is very electronic, but Its many modulation possibilities, its send audio out then in, its effects, etc, make it a very versatile drum synth. Tweaking it can yield very unsuspected results! But you got to like very electronic and weird drum sounds to really appreciate it. The overall thing is made to make sounds that come from another dimension... This said, it's possible to layer channels in it to make more traditional sounds (kick, snares, toms, hihats, ...).

This said, I still consider Kong to be a little more versatile than EDS06s, and still requier less work to get more traditional sounds. Kong is more aimed at making traditional drum sounds, and it's way harder to make it sound very synthetic and weird without samples... My drum settings rely on both devices: Kong for basic kicks, snares, hihats, and EDS06s for the rest (weird zaps, boings, fshhh, etc.).

To me though, the real dream drum synth is still to be done in Reason... I often use Malstroms, Noxious and other "weirder" synths to get the sounds I want, and I now route my old ElecTribe ER-1 (one of the best hardware electronic drum synth as far as I know!) into Reason. I even started to look at some VST freebies for more electronic weirdness, and have found a couple a interesting devices... As you can see, I'm constantly on a quest for the most versatile and weird drum synth, and EDS06s is probably the best option for Reason as of now (beyond Kong itself).

So:
Most versatile drum synth overall: Kong.
Most versatile weird and electronic drum synth: EDS06s.

If I had to choose only one, it would be Kong though... Or maybe my Electribe!
for weird sounds, kong has some underrated stuff though like the tone generator, ring mod and the overdrive's resonance

electrochoc (PRX-A)

12 Jun 2016

Chizmata wrote:for weird sounds, kong has some underrated stuff though like the tone generator, ring mod and the overdrive's resonance
Sure! That's why I often use the send audio outs of the EDS06s to send a sound to a Kong used as an effect! I especially use the ring modulator that way... In fact, EDS06s beats Kong for its waveform collection, but the effects are Kong are way, way more interesting! As I said, I often use these two together, with a little bit of sound from other devices, within Reason or not.

The Tone Ranger

13 Jun 2016

Persec has some good stuff for making drums, especially hats and cymbals.

challism

13 Jun 2016

I'd say it's Robotic Bean's Cowbell RE.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Bonkhead

14 Jun 2016

Thor :twisted: :thumbs_up:

chimp_spanner

15 Jun 2016

I mean you could just chuck a Kong in a Combinator and send the gate out of each pad to a Subtractor or Thor with key tracking disabled and then design your sounds in there. And of course each pad could go to a different "module" so maybe RP's Punch BD for kick, EC-1 for claps, Republik for percussion. I think that'd do you just fine until a dedicated drum synth RE comes out :)

electrochoc (PRX-A)

15 Jun 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:I mean you could just chuck a Kong in a Combinator and send the gate out of each pad to a Subtractor or Thor with key tracking disabled and then design your sounds in there. And of course each pad could go to a different "module" so maybe RP's Punch BD for kick, EC-1 for claps, Republik for percussion. I think that'd do you just fine until a dedicated drum synth RE comes out :)
In pure terms of possibilities, linking a Kong to external synthesizers is indeed the most versatile option available, and I frankly doubt any single device could ever beat such a setting! In fact, I use such a setting very often: that's what I meant when I said I used Malstrom and Noxious a lot for percussion. But that option is also "more work". Those synths are not primarily meant to be used as drum sounds sources, so it takes more time to find or to design something that will sound good into one precise project.

There's also more things to do to correctly manage the way Kong and the external synths will interact. Kong sends gate signal that are as long as the time you press the Kong's controlling pad, which can create unwanted results when the gate signal is transmitted to the synth (or irregular sounds when you "play" on a pad MIDI controller), unless you use the main sequencer to always use note of the same lenght. In other terms, Kong don't act like ReDrum, which only send very short gate signals that allow to design drum sounds on external synths that will be constant. Note that that problem can easily be solved: I often use Charlotte to reduce a gate signal from Kong of any lenght to a very short signal, making it possible, when designing drum sounds on a synth, to rely only on the release part of the synth's amplitude envelop to design my sounds.

... I'm not sure the later part was very clear...

• Information